More Political incorectness...UNBELIEVABLE

Lookout

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2007
So today, The U.S. House places the United States Military operation in Iraq, in jeopardy because of something that happened in Armenia 100 years ago???!!! WTF. We have an air base in Turkey and are using it for the Iraq campaign and our wonderful government puts our soldiers in harms way to apease the Armenian Americans in this country for something that we did not do or are responsible for.

So today, The U.S. House places the United States Military operation in Iraq, in jeopardy because of something that happened in Armenia 100 years ago???!!! WTF. We have an air base in Turkey and are using it for the Iraq campaign and our wonderful government puts our soldiers in harms way to apease the Armenian Americans in this country for something that we did not do or are responsible for.
Yah, isn't that stupid? Congress doesn't have enough on it's (our) plate. and who the hell cares as long as it isn't still happening?

I'm at a loss to know why the current secular republic of Turkey is continually in denial about the genocide practised by the forces of the Ottoman Empire. Turkey is not the country it was when the Ottomans ruled. The Turkish government would do well to accept it and then get on with governing.

Since when is condemning Genocide "political correctness"? Do you need to be PC to condemn Genocide? And why are you so willing to bend over backwards to justify Genocide? What are you, some kind of appeaser?

Diuretic...it is strange in a way, but on the other hand it was a very brutal time in their past. They never really had closure on it I think and even if they were willing to admit it to themselves, they certainly don't want a foreign power condemning them for it. As badly as Aborigines are treated in Australia, I suspect that most Australians would strongly object to the US Congress passing a resolution against either their current condition, or past atrocities committed against them.

Since when is condemning Genocide "political correctness"? Do you need to be PC to condemn Genocide? And why are you so willing to bend over backwards to justify Genocide? What are you, some kind of appeaser?

Diuretic...it is strange in a way, but on the other hand it was a very brutal time in their past. They never really had closure on it I think and even if they were willing to admit it to themselves, they certainly don't want a foreign power condemning them for it. As badly as Aborigines are treated in Australia, I suspect that most Australians would strongly object to the US Congress passing a resolution against either their current condition, or past atrocities committed against them.

I think condemning genocide from WWI is rather irrelevant. I don't really care if Turkey is insulted or not, but I really don't see the point to it.

I am not saying that it wasn't a horrible thing, or that the Turkish govt. shouldn't appologize for it. Why should we risk our ally in the chaos in the middle east over something that happened nearly 100 years ago. I mean really, is it worth the risk to piss off one of our greatest alliess so some people can say..."Yeah that will make great, great grandpa feel better". Why risk what we are trying to do right now for something no one can do anything about that happened in 1915. What do you care more about, an apology or getting the American troops the supplies they need?. If you were on the ground in Iraq, and you did not get the ammo you needed to protect yourself and your friends because some pencil pushing pinhead in Washington forced our ally to apologize for something that did not effect us 100 years ago, I bet you would change your tune...What are you an anti American? It's just poor planing and bad timing on the govts. part...but then again, what else is new?

I hate political correctness

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed by until today I read his obituary. Please join me in a moment of silence in remembrance. For Common Sense had served us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary
Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by
his parents, Truth and Trust;
his wife, Discretion;
his daughter, Responsibility;
and his son, Reason.

He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Recognizing genocide is now called political correctness! Talk about an absurd use of slogans. Waller writes about it in "Becoming Evil," if you are in a library or bookstore, check out Dovey's Story chapter pp 51-53, then come back and tell me if it is PC.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Black-Dog-Fate-American-Uncovers/dp/0767902548/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-9298559-0444957?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192205422&sr=1-2[/ame]

I am not saying that it wasn't a horrible thing, or that the Turkish govt. shouldn't appologize for it. Why should we risk our ally in the chaos in the middle east over something that happened nearly 100 years ago. I mean really, is it worth the risk to piss off one of our greatest alliess so some people can say..."Yeah that will make great, great grandpa feel better". Why risk what we are trying to do right now for something no one can do anything about that happened in 1915. What do you care more about, an apology or getting the American troops the supplies they need?. If you were on the ground in Iraq, and you did not get the ammo you needed to protect yourself and your friends because some pencil pushing pinhead in Washington forced our ally to apologize for something that did not effect us 100 years ago, I bet you would change your tune...What are you an anti American? It's just poor planing and bad timing on the govts. part...but then again, what else is new?

Recognizing genocide is now called political correctness! Talk about an absurd use of slogans. Waller writes about it in "Becoming Evil," if you are in a library or bookstore, check out Dovey's Story chapter pp 51-53, then come back and tell me if it is PC.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Dog-Fat...8&s=books&qid=1192205422&sr=1-2&tag=ff0d01-20

Trying to force someone to understand something they don't want to understand is just futile. If you don't get it, you just don't get it. It's like trying to teach a pig how to sing...All it does is waste your time and piss off the pig!

I think condemning genocide from WWI is rather irrelevant. I don't really care if Turkey is insulted or not, but I really don't see the point to it.

You might feel differently if you had relatives who were killed in that genocide.

I am not saying that it wasn't a horrible thing, or that the Turkish govt. shouldn't appologize for it.

So you think they should do it, just not us...because...well just because.

Why should we risk our ally in the chaos in the middle east over something that happened nearly 100 years ago. I mean really, is it worth the risk to piss off one of our greatest alliess so some people can say..."Yeah that will make great, great grandpa feel better". Why risk what we are trying to do right now for something no one can do anything about that happened in 1915.

Gee, I don't know, maybe for the ideals that our country supposedly stands for? Maybe to not appease Turkey? Why are you such an appeaser? Are you really willing to let a foreign country decide what we, as Amercians, will or won't condemn?

What do you care more about, an apology or getting the American troops the supplies they need?. If you were on the ground in Iraq, and you did not get the ammo you needed to protect yourself and your friends because some pencil pushing pinhead in Washington forced our ally to apologize for something that did not effect us 100 years ago, I bet you would change your tune...

I care about not letting foreign powers dictate which HR violations we as Americans will condemn. You apparently are ok with letting us get jerked around by Turkey.

What are you an anti American? It's just poor planing and bad timing on the govts. part...but then again, what else is new?

I'm anti-American because I don't want foreign countries and threats to control our actions? Alrighty then....

While I believe the Turkish slaughter of Aremnians from 1915 to 1923 was genocide and should be acknowledged as such, I can't shake the feeling that the entire effort is nothing more than an attempt by the Democrat controlled congress to make things more difficult for the U.S., our military and the President. This isn't the first time this issue has been up for a vote. Seven years ago President Clinton convinced Denny Hastert (R) to cancel a vote on the same matter.

House Backs Off on Condemning Turks' Killing of Armenians
ERIC SCHMITT
Published: October 20, 2000

Minutes before the House was to vote on a measure condemning the mass killings of Armenians in Turkey 85 years ago as genocide, J. Dennis Hastert, the speaker, withdrew the resolution tonight, citing President Clinton's warnings that a vote could harm national security and hurt relations with Turkey, a NATO ally.

In a telephone call late Wednesday and in a letter today, Mr. Clinton urged Mr. Hastert to withdraw the measure
, saying it could inflame tensions in the Middle East, embolden President Saddam Hussein of Iraq and interfere with American efforts to stabilize the Balkans.

In addition, Turkey had threatened to ground American warplanes that fly out of Turkish air bases to patrol northern Iraq, and cancel a $4.5 billion deal to buy 145 attack helicopters made in Texas. Angry crowds have protested outside the United States Embassy in Ankara.

''The president believes that passage of this resolution may adversely impact the situation in the Middle East and risk the lives of Americans,'' Mr. Hastert said. ''This is not an idle request,'' Mr. Hastert continued. ''We all know that the situation in the Middle East is unusually tense. The cease-fire now in place between Israel and the Palestinians is fragile. The Congress, while it has a right to express its opinions on critical issues of the day, also must be cognizant of the consequences of the expressions of those opinions.''

The contentious resolution had languished in Congress for a decade. But this year, Mr. Hastert promised Representative James E. Rogan of California, a House impeachment manager and his party's most vulnerable incumbent in the House, that he would bring it to a floor vote.

Even though the measure is non-binding and does not go to the Senate or to President Clinton for approval, it is a top priority in Mr. Rogan's Southern California district, which has the largest Armenian-American constituency in the country.

Armenians have maintained that as many as 1.5 million of their people were killed from 1915 to 1923 as part of a campaign by the Ottoman Empire to force Armenians out of eastern Turkey. The Turks have acknowledged that some 300,000 people were killed, but have said that the deaths occurred when the Ottomans tried to quell civil unrest. The Ottoman Empire became Turkey in 1923.

A spokesman for the Turkish Embassy, Namik Tan, praised Mr. Hastert's decision, saying, ''This is what should have happened.''

So did the White House, which marshaled an all-out campaign to kill the measure, enlisting the president's top foreign and military advisers, the joint chiefs of staff and various national security experts.

''We applaud the speaker's decision,'' said P. J. Crowley, a spokesman for the National Security Council. ''It was the right thing to do for America's national interests, the right thing to do for stability in a volatile region, and the right thing to do for both Turkey and Armenia.''

Supporters of the measure, who said they had the votes to pass it, expressed disappointment. ''While I am personally saddened by this change, I remain pleased with our historic success to enact this resolution,'' Mr. Rogan said in a statement. ''Never before has this legislation earned even a hearing.''

Representative David E. Bonior of Michigan, the second-ranking House Democrat and sponsor of the resolution, said in an interview: ''It will never be the right time to do this for those who disagree with us. Countries need to own up for their own inadequacies.''

House Backs Off on Condemning Turks

President Bush had made the same request of this Congress, for much the same reason Clinton did. The response of the current speaker?

...House Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated they were committed to going forward.

"Why do it now? Because there's never a good time and all of us in the Democratic leadership have supported" it, she said.

Turkey Threatens Repercussions for U.S.

The issue of this genocide has been around D.C. for close to twenty five years or more, but now it is suddenly so important?

Seems as if Pelosi doesn't care about the military or the efforts in the area. Or maybe she's just more interested in making sure the Democrats keep their hold on California's 27th district (the San Fernando Valley) which has the largest Armenian-American constituency in the country.

Forum List

Back