More Outsourcing???

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Obama & the Democrats can not fix this economy if this shit continues to happen. This should be the Democrats next priority.

IBM to Cut U.S. Jobs, Expand in India - WSJ.com

International Business Machines Corp. plans to lay off about 5,000 U.S. employees, with many of the jobs being transferred to India, according to people familiar with the situation.

The technology giant has been steadily building its work force in India and other locations while reducing the number of workers based in the U.S. Foreign workers accounted for 71% of Big Blue's nearly 400,000 employees at the start of the year, up from about 65% in 2006.

American IBM employees say in many cases, they have been training IBM workers from India to do work that will now be moved overseas.

In January, IBM sent layoff notices to about 4,600 people, including workers in its software unit and sales department.

Earlier this year, IBM also told employees that if they wanted to move to an emerging market, they could apply for jobs there with IBM, but they would be paid in local wages. A spokesman Wednesday said "dozens" of people have taken the offer, usually natives of those countries.

Outsourcing to India has long been a hot-button topic for IT employees in the U.S. As U.S. employers have shed millions of jobs in recent months, workers and politicians have stepped up their criticisms of the practice with little impact.

"When IBM workers see jobs being shifted offshore, it's like stabbing them in the back," said Lee Conrad, a former IBM worker who is an organizer for the Communication Workers of America, which is trying to unionize IBM.

Robert Kennedy, a University of Michigan business school professor, said unions and Democrats "would like to slow down offshoring, but it's almost impossible."

IBM employed 74,000 people in India in 2007, the latest figures available.

IBM's latest round of cuts show that even companies that have so far navigated the global recession profitably are continuing to slash costs. In January, IBM reported $4.42 billion in quarterly profit.

Among other companies that are profitable, Microsoft Corp. announced plans for 5,000 layoffs earlier this year and Hewlett-Packard Co. is cutting some 25,000 people in the wake of its acquisition of Electronic Data Systems Corp., a rival of IBM's services business.

This is a nearly perfect example of what I wrote earlier in this forum area on outsourcing gone wrong, and I totally agree.

I don't know what your party affiliations are, but let me say that for 8 years, Republicans have been the promoters of sending jobs overseas. Unions have been warning us for 30 years, but they slowly started sending jobs out. Shoes first. Then cars. Now, everything. Even Defense. Can you imagine?

Every superpower that outsourced its manufacturing ended up losing power eventually.

We went from the largest creditor to the largest debtor nation in the world.

And the richest Americans exploited the system, sold America out cheap, gambled and lost our retirements, tanked the economy, and did I mention they got rich doing it? And now the US taxpayers are going to go further into debt for what they did. And none of them will go to jail?

Need more proof the oil & bankers own this country? They re-wrote our countries policies in their favor. For example, if a miner's mine isn't safe, they now get a slap on the wrist. And speculators were setting all the prices high!

OMG, Republicans want to suggest that if we tax the rich then the cost of things will go up? How dare they when their speculators are the ones that raise prices.

And they literally made money when they made companies stocks fall?

They re wrote bankruptsy laws in their favor, let credit cards charge loan shark rates, tanked our homes, etc.

The best interview ever was John Stewart interviewing Kramer. Busted! Now we know why Wallstreet and the bankers were regulated in the first place.

The bankers that own the Federal Reserve run this country. Until we take that back and undo the current Fed Res, nothing will change.

And the Supreme Court is now a Republican run thing. Look at how they lowered the Exxon Valdez settlement to an embarrassing amount.

Now Corporations can do whatever they want. Take them to court. They'll fight it all the way to the Supreme Court, where Roberts and Alito wait. Two Bush appointees.

I needed to get that off my chest.

Forum List

Back