More On Google Search

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
This is on Google Search, not Google News Search:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/1,7340,L-3064050,00.html

Google advertises Hamas

Terror organization uses search engine to promote website of its military wing Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades
By Roee Nahmias and Gal Mor

Terror organizations are advancing their recruitment and public relations methods: Internet surfers who enter the word “Hamas” in Arabic in the Google search engine, will view, in addition to the search results, an AdWord message that links directly to the website of the organization’s military faction Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades.

The link also appears in a search of several other words, such as the “Gaza,” “Palestine,” “Jihad.”

This indicates that a Hamas source has paid Google, the most popular search engine on the web, for the advertisement.

The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades website holds updated and diverse information: Along with news updates stories from the news agencies, the site also publishes interviews with the organization’s leaders.

In one such interview, Hamas member Said Badarna, who is imprisoned in Israel, says, “abductions are the only way to release prisoners being held in Israel.”

Google’s AdWord service offer registered surfers the opportunity to purchase search words and post text messages that are linked to certain websites.

The AdWords also appear in G-mail, Google’s email service, and on other websites on Google’s advertising network Adsense.

Moved operations to Eastern Europe

Google has automatic filters that prohibit the posting of links to “problematic” websites, such as gambling and sex websites, but as of now they can only identify English words.

Company Spokeswoman Debbie Frost said “we took care of the matter as soon as Ynet turned to us,” but Ynet has learned the advertisements have not been removed as of yet.

Reuven Erlich of The Information Center for Intelligence and Terror says Hamas is the Palestinian terror organization with the most advanced Internet services.

“In the past, when services provided by American companies to terror organizations were exposed, those companies quickly halted that support,” he says.

“So, a trend was created whereby Hamas’ Internet quality infrastructure moved to Eastern European countries.”

According to The Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center , Hamas and other international terror organizations utilize the Internet to distribute terror-enticing messages and to maintain contact between the different organizations and their target audiences with almost no supervision or censorship.

Meanwhile:

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/004169.php

March 27, 2005
Have I Angered The Google Powers That Be?
While Charles at Little Green Footballs and Michelle Malkin point out that Google refuses to acknowledge their sites as "news" despite Google's linking to other, less savory sources as news, it appears that Google has stopped recognizing Captain's Quarters' existence on the Internet altogether. I received this e-mail from CQ reader Ed Davidson this morning:

I have been using the search criteria "captains quarters" on Google for a considerable time. Your blog was always the lead link returned and it was a convenient way for me to do a two click connection. She's-a-no-work-no-more. Google no longer will return your link with "captains quarters" or "captains quarters blog" or "www.captainsquartersblog.com" in their search function.
Of course, I decided to check this out -- and sure enough, Ed's alert is accurate. Check out this search. While my old Typepad site comes up as the first hit, my main site has disappeared entirely. You can find Captain's Quarters Family and Golf Resort and a number of other similarly-named hotels and inns, but you can't find my blog -- not even when you redo the search to include the word "blog".

Now why would that be? I haven't ever criticized Google, as far as I know, and I use it almost every day. Maybe that will change. Ed's explanation is as rational as anything I can figure out:

You must have been bad. Real bad. Congratulations.
Thanks!

What is another good search engine? I have my homepage set to google cuz I use it so much.... and I use googlemail. This is all gonna stop if they keep this shit up.

Forum List

Back