More of the Double Standard

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
I heard this statement on C-SPAN, given in recognition of Sen. Byrd's (D-W.Va) 17,000th congressional vote, but I missed the name of the Senator who made it, and was not able to find any mention of it anywhere until it was reported on Special Report this evening. The statement was made by Sen. Dodd (D-Conn.) on the Senate floor:

"You would have been a great senator at any moment....you would have been right at the founding of this country, right during the Civil War....I can't think of a single moment in this nation's 220+ year history where you would not have been a valuable asset to this country."

"It has often been said that the man and the moment come together. I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia that he would have been a great senator at any moment. Some were right for the time. Robert C. Byrd, in my view, would have been right at any time,"

Sen. Byrd was a Klansmen. Sen. Byrd also fillibustered against Civil Rights. Just as Strom Thurmond (R-Miss.) did, and I think everyone remembers the uproar that followed Trent Lott's (R-Miss.) statements concerning Strom Thurmond on the occasion of Sen. Thurmond's 100th birthday, both in the media and among prominent Democrats.

Where's the uproar this time? I'm not holding my breath.

Damn good point, Zhukov. I was saying in another thread that we need to regard the mainstream media with constant suspicion-not only for what they say, but for what they leave out. They're nothing but lapdogs for the DNC, and it's a damn shame that so many people can't or won't understand that.

Robert Byrd-what a doddering old clown. Is that asshole ever going to croak?

The problem with the media is at least 50% sin of ommission.

On the one hand they say that only controversial news sells (even FOX says that) so that's why they never report anything good in Iraq. They fail to mention they only exacerbate those controversies they choose to.

Originally posted by Zhukov
The problem with the media is at least 50% sin of ommission.

On the one hand they say that only controversial news sells (even FOX says that) so that's why they never report anything good in Iraq. They fail to mention they only exacerbate those controversies they choose to.

Yeah, I've heard that "negativity sells" cop-out too. "Selective negativity" is more like it.

If FOX is the right-wing devil all the liberals say it is, why aren't they all over this Robert Byrd thing? Sounds to me like they need to grow a set of balls.

Well, as I said I did finally hear mention of it on Special Report (Brit enjoys displaying blatant examples of media bias), but they aren't making a big deal about it, just as they likely wouldn't have made a big deal of the Trent Lott episode, because ultimately it's not very important.

Nonetheless, it is interesting.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Well, as I said I did finally hear mention of it on Special Report (Brit enjoys displaying blatant examples of media bias), but they aren't making a big deal about it, just as they likely wouldn't have made a big deal of the Trent Lott episode, because ultimately it's not very important.

Nonetheless, it is interesting.

Ah, but you're speaking rationally! That's a language the mainstream media abandoned decades ago.

You're right, though. FOX would do a lousy job pushing a story it knew to be bullshit. The mainstreams, on the other hand, are past masters at that sort of thing.

Forum List

Back