More liberal lunacy, Gates: we should tax robots

The robot that takes your job should pay taxes, says Bill Gates

Here's a novel idea. How about we LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS

How about both.

I'm of the opinion that any co.psny replacing workers with technology should be picking up.AT LEAST the amount of taxes that the displaced worker was paying.

I'm also in fact or of SLASHING the Federal budget to the bone.
Gouging business owners for technological advances is robbery.

No different of robbery than taxing cigarettes, alcohol, not having healthcare insurance just to name a few. If it's not taxation, it's regulations such as environmental standards that cost my industry a ton of money and problems.

Offshoring is a problem, but pales in comparison to automation. As businesses invest in automation, that slashes jobs greatly. So what are we supposed to do, just sit back and let it happen?

Not everybody has the talent or smarts to get into careers that require college or vocational training. What are we going to do with these people when robots take all their jobs? Well......we are going to have to support those people......more so than we already are.

So taxing automation is not all that bad of an idea to try and slow down the cancer.
Bravo Ray, we usually go head to head but I'll give you kudos when you get one right. Good to see you have some foresight on this one

Thank you. I was thinking about this thread today when I went to Home Depot to buy a motion detector light. I waited in line for a couple of minutes because of the customer in front of me. When I got to the cashier, she said "you didn't have to wait, you could have used the self-checkout line for this one item." I replied "I could of, but eventually that would put you out of a job" and we both laughed as she agreed with me.

Maybe I'm just getting older or something, but I remember the days when lowest price didn't mean everything. When I was a kid, everything was delivered because most women were stay-at-home wives, and in most cases, they didn't drive or were a one car family. We used to have a milk man, a juice man, a rag man, a Charlie Chips man, a laundry man, and a man that delivered the groceries. Nobody pumped their own gasoline. You had an attendant do it.

All those people eventually lost their jobs because we chose the cheaper route which is go to the store and buy these items yourself. Now we don't even want to work, we want machines to do our jobs.
You make a fine observation. I myself as an entrepreneur have been a part of 5 start ups and am always looking for the new innovative ideas to make systems easier and better. But I also recognize the impact that automation has had on our society. I recognize the quality of hand crafted artwork over mass produced junk from china, I recognize the value we get from the minimum wage and middle class workforce. We need to be conscious of these things and keep a healthy balance between free market capitalism, innovation, and technology with the spirit of community, customer service, quality, and human interaction

How about both.

I'm of the opinion that any co.psny replacing workers with technology should be picking up.AT LEAST the amount of taxes that the displaced worker was paying.

I'm also in fact or of SLASHING the Federal budget to the bone.

No different of robbery than taxing cigarettes, alcohol, not having healthcare insurance just to name a few. If it's not taxation, it's regulations such as environmental standards that cost my industry a ton of money and problems.

Offshoring is a problem, but pales in comparison to automation. As businesses invest in automation, that slashes jobs greatly. So what are we supposed to do, just sit back and let it happen?

Not everybody has the talent or smarts to get into careers that require college or vocational training. What are we going to do with these people when robots take all their jobs? Well......we are going to have to support those people......more so than we already are.

So taxing automation is not all that bad of an idea to try and slow down the cancer.
Bravo Ray, we usually go head to head but I'll give you kudos when you get one right. Good to see you have some foresight on this one

Thank you. I was thinking about this thread today when I went to Home Depot to buy a motion detector light. I waited in line for a couple of minutes because of the customer in front of me. When I got to the cashier, she said "you didn't have to wait, you could have used the self-checkout line for this one item." I replied "I could of, but eventually that would put you out of a job" and we both laughed as she agreed with me.

Maybe I'm just getting older or something, but I remember the days when lowest price didn't mean everything. When I was a kid, everything was delivered because most women were stay-at-home wives, and in most cases, they didn't drive or were a one car family. We used to have a milk man, a juice man, a rag man, a Charlie Chips man, a laundry man, and a man that delivered the groceries. Nobody pumped their own gasoline. You had an attendant do it.

All those people eventually lost their jobs because we chose the cheaper route which is go to the store and buy these items yourself. Now we don't even want to work, we want machines to do our jobs.
You make a fine observation. I myself as an entrepreneur have been a part of 5 start ups and am always looking for the new innovative ideas to make systems easier and better. But I also recognize the impact that automation has had on our society. I recognize the quality of hand crafted artwork over mass produced junk from china, I recognize the value we get from the minimum wage and middle class workforce. We need to be conscious of these things and keep a healthy balance between free market capitalism, innovation, and technology with the spirit of community, customer service, quality, and human interaction

Well.....we've always had advances in society. We've made more things with less work by humans. The difference is that we replaced one task by creating another.

When the ice man lost his job delivering ice to homes with ice boxes, we created the manufacturing of refrigerators and freezers. When the horse shoe man lost his job to cars, we created the automotive industry. When the telephone operator lost her job, we created the computer industry. When the ditch digger lost his job to machinery, we created the construction equipment industry. When the train conductor lost his job, we created the airline industry.

This time is different though. in the past, automation and advancements made life easier and more convenient. Now, the goal is not convenience, but the elimination of humans altogether.

Given this route we're taking, what will America look like in 50 years from now? What will we do with manual labor people; people that only have the ability to do manual chores?

Well.....we've always had advances in society. We've made more things with less work by humans. The difference is that we replaced one task by creating another.

When the ice man lost his job delivering ice to homes with ice boxes, we created the manufacturing of refrigerators and freezers. When the horse shoe man lost his job to cars, we created the automotive industry. When the telephone operator lost her job, we created the computer industry. When the ditch digger lost his job to machinery, we created the construction equipment industry. When the train conductor lost his job, we created the airline industry.

This time is different though. in the past, automation and advancements made life easier and more convenient. Now, the goal is not convenience, but the elimination of humans altogether.

Given this route we're taking, what will America look like in 50 years from now? What will we do with manual labor people; people that only have the ability to do manual chores?
It is a worrisome prospect and even the taxation solution will not stop the development of robotic automation in our manufacturing industry, food services, and transportation. We can only hope that Taxation slows the implementation of robotic automation for us to find what that next industry boom is for the majority of working class humans to undertake. Perhaps all we will have left is entertainment and a virtual world... We shall see

It is a worrisome prospect and even the taxation solution will not stop the development of robotic automation in our manufacturing industry, food services, and transportation. We can only hope that Taxation slows the implementation of robotic automation for us to find what that next industry boom is for the majority of working class humans to undertake. Perhaps all we will have left is entertainment and a virtual world... We shall see

This is true, but I like to reflect on Reagan's famous words "If you want more of something, subsidize it. If you want less of something, tax it."

So do we really want more human replacement or less of it?

This is true, but I like to reflect on Reagan's famous words "If you want more of something, subsidize it. If you want less of something, tax it."

Well in this case we are looking for less of Robotic automation so I guess taxation is the method under Reagans theory. I'm also fine with a subsidy plan if we can come up with something that makes sense. But people like the OP Grandpa who can't see past their bottom line pose a real threat and display a great shortsightedness by ignoring an eminent threat to our way of life. It will trickle through to the masses and effect all of us unless you are part of the top 1%ers.

Well in this case we are looking for less of Robotic automation so I guess taxation is the method under Reagans theory. I'm also fine with a subsidy plan if we can come up with something that makes sense. But people like the OP Grandpa who can't see past their bottom line pose a real threat and display a great shortsightedness by ignoring an eminent threat to our way of life. It will trickle through to the masses and effect all of us unless you are part of the top 1%ers.

I understand both sides of the argument. I won't be here when robots almost totally take over, and thank God for that. I should be able to retire in about ten years or so. But like our fathers before us, I do worry about the people (particularly very young people) after we are gone. Will they be cursing us out, or be thankful for participating in these advancements? When manual labor is almost all gone, what do we do with these people? Population control?

Forum List

Back