More lefty whining of Censorship...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jul 17, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3902833.stm

I don't think these people freakin get it. Free speech means speaking your mind without fear of imprisonment or retribution from your government. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE NO REPERCUSSIONS FROM OTHER PEOPLE!

Meaning if the people or private businesses choose to either boycott your products or drop their advertising agreements due to CONTRACT VIOLATIONS, then it is their right to free speech as well. They don't want your opinion to reflect theirs then they won't buy your product or in a businesses case, avoid signing you to ad deals.

When will you people realize that Freedom of Speech does not mean freedom from other people's speech.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Damn, I missed the bullying tactics? I just figured people boycotted these idiots on their own, not bullied by the President and his Administration. :slap:

3. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree and applaud everything insein wrote.

Plus:
    What the hell is he talking about? Maybe none have been written, scheduled or sang. I have not heard of any, but that does not mean censorship is the reason. Maybe its just that no one is really that opposed to the war - it is Bush that they are opposed to. I think foreigners ought to stay the hell out of our political arena and STFU!

His Tobi and Dixie analogy has no merit - neither does Elton. His "Sir" title is honorary, but the autor of this piece throws it in there like it is a big deal. Who cares?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    His feather boa allergy is gone to his brain. Maybe he's trying to be part of the "chic" Youra peein crowd that loves to Bash America.

5. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yep.

I think it's great that the Ditzy Chicks were shunned by millions for their indiscretions whilst overseas. I don't listen to Country, but my wife tells me that they're still not played here in AK.

They do indeed have the right to say those un-American things; but it's our right as consumers to decide we will no longer support them.

I have a personal list of entertainers that I refuse to support in any way, due to their own beliefs and make it a point to mention why I don't care for them whenever they come up in conversation.

It's not "censorship" that really irks these people, they know full well that they haven't been censored. What gets their goat is that when they ram their foot into their mouths, average Americans such as myself take notice and add them to the list of idiots that won't see one red cent of my money, and make it known to everyone that's interested in my opinion why I feel that way.

I suspect many of them, such as Elton, long for the '60s when it was cool to practice activities such as spitting on American personnel arriving home from war, burning American flags and treating the enemy combatants as heros.

Elton John can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I never liked the little fag anyway.

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Too bad so many "entertainers" didn't go to school and get an education. They confuse censure with censor.

The american people (and, in my opinion, everyone else on earth) should and are free to decide for themselves whom and what to support. The fact that the Dixie Chicks' comments, and Elton's too, were reported widely, is full evidence that there is no censorship in the united states.

There is, however, censure, which is entirely different, entirely constitutional and entirely righteous in my opinion.

May the almighty dollar to continue to roll...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. softwaremama

softwaremama Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Overpaid, amoral Hollywood types are led by their value system (well, not really a system, because it's one thing): cold, hard cash :dev2: $$$ for TV shows too tacky to watch, CDs w/vile lyrics, and movies that tear down everything your grandmother ever taught you. :dev2:

They "get" that their version of free speech (speech without critique or repercussion) equals million$ in their pockets. Imagine what the Dixie Chicks boycott actually accomplished--hey thanks!

8. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yeah, anti-war protesters get run over by tanks Tiananmen Square style. Celebrities are jailed for speaking out against Bush.

Give me a fucking break. I get tired of this freedom from consequences shit, rather than freedom of speech. That's really what they don't like. They don't like it when there is a backlash because some people don't feel the way they feel.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    So who was censoring Doctor Laura when advertisers pulled their support for her TV show?

And how many of the Hollywood and Music industry characters backed her up?

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Exactly. The Hollyweird crowd has become so arrogant that they think THEY are the only people with rights in this country.

I believe they think that failure to buy their albums or see their movies based on a dislike of their conduct or statements should be considered a hate crime.