More Interesting Times

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems Biden's prediction of 'early testing' of the serious sort is coming into play. France and Germany trying to force through an international regulatory agency, sort of UN on steroids.

Japan is saying they will have to shoot down the N. Korean missile if it approaches Japan's air space. We have Gates saying the US might do the same, if it was heading towards Hawaii. Meanwhile Obama reassures S. Korean President that they are a main ally.

Netanyahu is having to warn that Israel may have to deal with Iran, they cannot let them get to the N. Korean point...

Today Petraeus is saying we may need at least 10k more soldiers in Afghanistan, beyond the 27k already arrived or arriving.

Obama's foreign policy is going to become clear very soon.

i take it the title refers to that old curse...."may you live in interesting times"

i am 55...older than dirt according to my son....in my short life...i have seen...the assissination of a president...the attempted killing of two more...the killing of a candidate...the berlin wall coming down...the cold war...the end of the cold war...vietnam ..on and on.....o and computers going from taking a whole room and running on punch cards to this....sometimes i wonder what is the most amazing thing or advance that i have seen...medical advances ....hell i remember polio and blue babies where the 2nd rh factor baby would die w/o the total transfusions...

i take it the title refers to that old curse...."may you live in interesting times"

i am 55...older than dirt according to my son....in my short life...i have seen...the assissination of a president...the attempted killing of two more...the killing of a candidate...the berlin wall coming down...the cold war...the end of the cold war...vietnam ..on and on.....o and computers going from taking a whole room and running on punch cards to this....sometimes i wonder what is the most amazing thing or advance that i have seen...medical advances ....hell i remember polio and blue babies where the 2nd rh factor baby would die w/o the total transfusions...

Indeed the old Chinese curse. We're pretty close in age, though I don't remember polio hitting, my oldest cousin had it. Think though of how much more changes the generation before ours had. :eek:

Civilization is a mixed bag, isn't it?

Our mistake was going along with the agricultural revolution about 6,000 years ago, I think. It's been steadily downhill ever since.

Sans that development, we'd live as hunter gatherers there'd be maybe a couple hundred million of us in total, and not one of us would be bitching about government or taxes or master classes.

But eating on a regular basis seemed like such a good idea at the time, one can hardly blame out foreparents for falling for that tender trap.

You guys are cynics?

I rather doubt that:

Cynics reject all conventions, whether of religion, manners, housing, dress, or decency, advocating the pursuit of virtue in a simple and unmaterialistic lifestyle.

And I am ten years older than that. And, by reason of living in some very rural areas, lived often in a manner more reminescent of pre-ww1 times. Indeed, the times I remember well, from about 1948 on, have been very interesting. Both positive and negative.

When I was a child, measles, mumps, chicken pox, whooping cough, and scarlet fever were rites of passage. You either passed through them alive or died. I can remember a cover on the "Life" magazine featuring Iron Lungs. In use. We should have something major honoring Salk and Sabin. And the rest of the medical community that made these childhood diseased memories, instead of night terrors for parents and children.

The communication that we have today was not even science fiction in the '50's when I started reading that genre. But the loss of privacy was not imagined, either. Identity theft was not even a term then.

Food, both good and bad. I often joke that we were so poor that we had a near ideal diet. Mom gardened intensively, and Dad hunted, in season and out. We ate mostly wild game and canned fruits and vegitables, that we canned ourselved, picked and processed at the peak of ripeness. However, the availability of the variety of food that we have today simply was not present then. I can remember my wifes eyes, she is a watermelon lover, when I found a watermelon that I got for her on Valentine's Day. I paid a king's ransom, for flying produce continent to continent is a very recent thing.

The population of the US was about 150,000,000 then, and there were many more wild unspoiled places then than now. Would I go back if I could? No. Like Editec says, there are some advantages to todays world. And I like those. But I do look back with some longing for some of the ways and things existant then.

the generation before us.. lived thru so much more....iron lungs....i remember thoses...and all the stuff you got..your mom would expose you to the kid down the street and get it over with...i had chickenpox, measles both kinds etc...never had the mumps...yea kids got it easy now....with vaccines...

Jesus Jones-Right here right now Video - mmcmurphy - MyVideo

A woman on the radio talked about revolution
When its already passed her by
Bob dylan didnt have this to sing about you
You know it feels good to be alive

I was alive and I waited, waited
I was alive and I waited for this
Right here, right now
There is no other place I want to be
Right here, right now
Watching the world wake up from history

I saw the decade in, when it seemed
The world could change at the blink of an eye
And if anything
Then theres your sign... of the times

Right here, right now

Right here, right now
Right here, right now

Right here, right now
Right here, right now

Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Watching the world wake up...

Seems Biden's prediction of 'early testing' of the serious sort is coming into play. France and Germany trying to force through an international regulatory agency, sort of UN on steroids.

Japan is saying they will have to shoot down the N. Korean missile if it approaches Japan's air space. We have Gates saying the US might do the same, if it was heading towards Hawaii. Meanwhile Obama reassures S. Korean President that they are a main ally.

Netanyahu is having to warn that Israel may have to deal with Iran, they cannot let them get to the N. Korean point...

Today Petraeus is saying we may need at least 10k more soldiers in Afghanistan, beyond the 27k already arrived or arriving.

Obama's foreign policy is going to become clear very soon.

I take it you miss the bush years?

I serioulsy doubt you ever started more than one or two threads in eight years of bush, asserting that he was fucking up. And I'd bet a weeks pay that more often than not your posts offered up excuses and defenses of George Dumbya.

the generation before us.. lived thru so much more....iron lungs....i remember thoses...and all the stuff you got..your mom would expose you to the kid down the street and get it over with...i had chickenpox, measles both kinds etc...never had the mumps...yea kids got it easy now....with vaccines...

The thing is that the Boomers lived in two very different worlds.

We were raised by the people who remembered the depression and who believed that government was there to help them and their society get along.

And to a large extent that exactly what governments did when we were kids.

But then the government went rogue on us. It claimed greater and greater control over our lives and it also became the means by rich the rich got very much richer at the expense of the working classes.

The next generation doesn't remember when government wasn't out of control so naturally they think such things as good government are impossible.

What I find most distrubing is that this generation is failing to understand that our government is controlled by money.

Many of these people don't seem to realize that the perversion of government was done by the very people they want to be in CHARGE of the world.

So they hate government, which is the only means to keep capital at bay from turning their lives into shit.

But because they understand that the government can screw with them, but they do not seem to understand that government screws with them for the benefit of capital.

I think kids have had it too damned easy during the last 20 years ... they are weak and unexperienced because of it. Damn, I fell on glass when I was 7, went through my arm right to the bone, the doc just dug the dirt out and taped it up. Now they practically get surgery for a scratch.

I think some kids have it too easy.

Bust since many American families are strapped, their kids are in trouble though no fault of their own.

I think some kids have it too easy.

Bust since many American families are strapped, their kids are in trouble though no fault of their own.

Aaah .. but it's easier to avoid this "trouble" now than ever. When I was in school we had nothing to turn to, nothing. Back in the 80's (not such fond memories).

Forum List

Back