more info on girl that refused to say "pledge"

☭proletarian☭;2069039 said:
If America is a great nation, why do we have to brainwash children to be loyal to it? Shouldn't we trust that educated, informed, and intelligent persons will stand for the nation if it is worth standing for?

Does the Right not think America's good enough for people to want to stand and fight for without being brainwashed?
Exactly. Saying the Pledge as part of a group is only one small way of showing loyalty. There are many other ways to do the same. Being a good citizen, as in fulfilling your obligation to vote, do jury duty and pay taxes is a more pruductive way of being loyal to your country than saluting a flag.

No one is debating her right not to say the pledge, only her lack of manners in sitting during it.
It's good manners to respect other people's civil rights.

The appropriate behavior they will need to know in this world is not to compromise your principals and participate in behavior you think is wrong.

The appropriate behavior is to show respect and good manners. We are ambassadors, first of our families, then of our community and also of our country. The way we act when visiting others reflects on ALL of us. If some stupid little sh*t refuses to stand for the Japanese flag while in Japan it reflects badly on all of us and I happen to like the Japanese and their country.

If they won't stand for our own flag, what makes you think they will stand for someone else's? Good manners and respect are always in vogue.
Personal experience. I stopped saying or standing for the US Pledge in 8th grade but I stand for the Marseillaise when in France.

So that a person will know it's good manners to stand during patriotic ceremonies in foreign countries does not justify denying a student's civil right not to stand during the Pledge in school.

In my opinion, children have unalienable rights to life, liberty of thought and opinion and hopes and dreams, and the pursuit of happiness, but they have no civil rights until they reach the age of majority and are legally able to fend for themselves.

That you would exercise a 'privilege' to disrespect your country and its flag may make you feel sanctimonious and justified, but to people accustomed to a sense of decorum and protocol in a civil and patriotic society, your exercise of that privilege makes you look like a spoiled, selfish brat. That's exactly how I and most people I know would see you.

But as an adult, it is definitely your right.

Um Wasn't the point of this OP that both the parents and the kid LIED about her "principles"? She was "too ill to stand".... Traded in the free speech card for the disability card perhaps?

Boo fucking hoo.

crying-baby-272x300.jpg

The appropriate behavior they will need to know in this world is not to compromise your principals and participate in behavior you think is wrong.

The appropriate behavior is to show respect and good manners. We are ambassadors, first of our families, then of our community and also of our country. The way we act when visiting others reflects on ALL of us. If some stupid little sh*t refuses to stand for the Japanese flag while in Japan it reflects badly on all of us and I happen to like the Japanese and their country.

If they won't stand for our own flag, what makes you think they will stand for someone else's? Good manners and respect are always in vogue.
Personal experience. I stopped saying or standing for the US Pledge in 8th grade but I stand for the Marseillaise when in France.

So that a person will know it's good manners to stand during patriotic ceremonies in foreign countries does not justify denying a student's civil right not to stand during the Pledge in school.

Even the girls father admits she was wrong saying she was "sick" and that's why she didn't stand. Get over it, she was WRONG. She should have stood. If she was so sick she couldn't stand for the pledge she shouldn't have been in school in the first place.

Even the girls father admits she was wrong saying she was "sick" and that's why she didn't stand. Get over it, she was WRONG. She should have stood. If she was so sick she couldn't stand for the pledge she shouldn't have been in school in the first place.
You're grasping at straws.
Maybe she had a menstrual cramp? Maybe she ate something bad for breakfast and it just then hit her? Plenty of kids go to school sick without they or their parents being aware that they are getting sick.

The only thing this girl did wrong, IMO, was to give her reasons for not standing. It's no one's business why she did what she did. No one is under any obligation to give any reason for choosing not to stand and say the Pledge. It is every citizen's right to choose not to, regardless of the reason.

Too bad some people in this country have no respect for civil rights.

Last edited:
You're grasping at straws.
Maybe she had a menstrual cramp? Maybe she ate something bad for breakfast and it just then hit her? Plenty of kids go to school sick without they or their parents being aware that they are getting sick.

The only thing this girl did wrong, IMO, was to give her reasons for not standing. It's no one's business why she did what she did. No one is under any obligation to give any reason for choosing not to stand and say the Pledge. It is every citizen's right to choose not to, regardless of the reason.

Too bad some people in this country have no respect for civil rights.

Too bad so many people in this country have no manners or respect for others.

The world changes... Back when I was in school, if I had of gotten kicked out of class for not standing during the Pledge of Allegiance, the school principal would have beat my ass and when I got home my father would have beat my ass. The next day at school I would have no trouble standing up because my ass would be too sore to sit on. It just amazes me to see how people act during the playing of the National Anthemn before sports games, car races, etc. You can call it what you want to call it, but when you don't stand up, put your hand over your heart with your cap removed, it's just very rude behavior.

You were born in the wrong country and wrong era..

Germany circa 1933 would have been the perfect time and place for you...

There was a time in this country when people were more respectful of our nations flag, more patriotic, and had a lot more character about them then the majority of people today. It was considered very rude behavior to not be respectful when the flag passed in a parade, when the National Anthemn was played, and the Pledge of Allegiance was said before class began at school each day and there was prayer in school classrooms right afterwards. You would be called on it for not being respectful. I'm sad to say, those days are gone.

not really but people like to whitewash the "good old days" lets see good old days...1970's ...flag burning was rather popular....wearing the flag was popular...

i think all the flag wavers are patrioteers mostly

Forum List

Back