more info on girl that refused to say "pledge"

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Germantown School Apologizes In Pledge Of Allegiance Case | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

"My daughter was sick when she went to school and she decided to sit down and not stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance, and her teacher called her out and told her that she needs to stand up and respect, even if she doesn't want to say the Pledge of Allegiance, and he kicked her out of the room and he didn't even ask her what was the problem," Donnon told 9NEWS NOW.

<<

so now the father is saying she was sick and that's why she didn't stand...even HE knew she was supposed to stand. My question, why did he send his daughter to school two days in a row knowing she was so sick she couldn't even stand during the pledge?????

What the hell is this world coming to?

Not standing for the pledge of allegiance is national news?

If I was kicked out of the classroom for such a stupid reason, I would have headbutted the teacher.

Last edited:

If I was kicked out of the classroom for such a stupid reason, I would have headbutted the teacher.

The world changes... Back when I was in school, if I had of gotten kicked out of class for not standing during the Pledge of Allegiance, the school principal would have beat my ass and when I got home my father would have beat my ass. The next day at school I would have no trouble standing up because my ass would be too sore to sit on. It just amazes me to see how people act during the playing of the National Anthemn before sports games, car races, etc. You can call it what you want to call it, but when you don't stand up, put your hand over your heart with your cap removed, it's just very rude behavior.

My question would be if the girl was that damned sick why did her parents send her to school in the first place? Very thoughtless of them not to consider the classmates (and their parents) had they gotten sick, too. Sickness is still an excused absence in schools.

And now they are justifying their daughter being back in school sick a second day and deliberately acting on her "rights" as a matter of principle? Shit on that. Doesn't the kid have any homework to do or something?

The world changes... Back when I was in school, if I had of gotten kicked out of class for not standing during the Pledge of Allegiance, the school principal would have beat my ass and when I got home my father would have beat my ass. The next day at school I would have no trouble standing up because my ass would be too sore to sit on. It just amazes me to see how people act during the playing of the National Anthemn before sports games, car races, etc. You can call it what you want to call it, but when you don't stand up, put your hand over your heart with your cap removed, it's just very rude behavior.

You were born in the wrong country and wrong era..

Germany circa 1933 would have been the perfect time and place for you...

There was a time in this country when people were more respectful of our nations flag, more patriotic, and had a lot more character about them then the majority of people today. It was considered very rude behavior to not be respectful when the flag passed in a parade, when the National Anthemn was played, and the Pledge of Allegiance was said before class began at school each day and there was prayer in school classrooms right afterwards. You would be called on it for not being respectful. I'm sad to say, those days are gone.

There was a time in this country when people were more respectful of our nations flag, more patriotic, and had a lot more character about them then the majority of people today. It was considered very rude behavior to not be respectful when the flag passed in a parade, when the National Anthemn was played, and the Pledge of Allegiance was said before class began at school each day and there was prayer in school classrooms right afterwards. You would be called on it for not being respectful. I'm sad to say, those days are gone.

And I'm not.

I think standing for an anthem is repectful. Hand over heart etc is OTT IMO...

Both CD and I were born in the right country at the right time. He's absolutely right about people being more respectful then than they are now ... and America is a lot worse off for the loss of this respect.

Both CD and I were born in the right country at the right time. He's absolutely right about people being more respectful then than they are now ... and America is a lot worse off for the loss of this respect.

It is also better off in a lot of respects....

This is an interesting conversation. We represent two sides of the coin... I was raised in an era where life was much simpler and at a much slower pace then it is now. We didn't have any of the techno stuff that we have today - most of it wasn't even though of. Mother's stayed home and watched the kids while Dad went to work to support the family. You could trust your neighbor and everybody, especially kids were more respectful then they are now. Some people call these the good old days.

Fast forward to 2010. Just about everything I was raised with, including morals and respect for God and Country is gone. It's a "if it feels good do it" kind of world with little or no respect given to anybody or anything. There's more things in the world that can make life better for all but yet we seen to be racing towards self-destruct and we can't seem to get there fast enough. Instead of supporting yourself and your family, it's easier to let someone else or the government do it. Some say these are the "days of enlightenment or the modern day good old days". This is the flip side of the coin.

Who's right in their beliefs? It's all a matter of what you hold dear to yourself and what's important to you. The world turns. You have to adapt with the change or go out like a dinosaur.

This is an interesting conversation. We represent two sides of the coin... I was raised in an era where life was much simpler and at a much slower pace then it is now. We didn't have any of the techno stuff that we have today - most of it wasn't even though of. Mother's stayed home and watched the kids while Dad went to work to support the family. You could trust your neighbor and everybody, especially kids were more respectful then they are now. Some people call these the good old days.

Fast forward to 2010. Just about everything I was raised with, including morals and respect for God and Country is gone. It's a "if it feels good do it" kind of world with little or no respect given to anybody or anything. There's more things in the world that can make life better for all but yet we seen to be racing towards self-destruct and we can't seem to get there fast enough. Instead of supporting yourself and your family, it's easier to let someone else or the government do it. Some say these are the "days of enlightenment or the modern day good old days". This is the flip side of the coin.

Who's right in their beliefs? It's all a matter of what you hold dear to yourself and what's important to you. The world turns. You have to adapt with the change or go out like a dinosaur.

I agree. I do prefer how it is now....

OK... I'm agreeing with the "Count." Who is this now with the new name that I know I knew before?

So what do you think would happen if Obama refused to stand for the flag in Saudi Arabia? Do you really believe our students don't deserve to learn proper deportment now?

In terms of character and values.....No. We are not.

I've said all I want to say about disrespecting the flag on the other thread. However I mentioned that there is always more to the story and teachers are not permitted to speak to the press. Today I witnessed a student threaten a teacher who asked him to stop texting. Had this yeacher called for the police (which someone else might have done) the headline would have read "Student arrested for texting in class". I'm getting tired of teachers being used as punching bags simply for doing what they think is best for the students. And sometimes somebody will disagree and all of a sudden it makes the fucking news.

I disagree with your last two sentences. The world changes, does not justify My giving up those values and beliefs that make Me who I am. And one of those values is to fight to hang on to a life and world I think is better for My children, grandchildren and future generations. Others are free to fight for decadence if that is their choice. It does not make them right and from My point of view, it makes them dangerous.

Liberty and life are taken from us in stages. Incrementalism is the preferred weapon of the intellectually challenged.

PS 14 Bronx NY, amiright? I went there too

So what do you think would happen if Obama refused to stand for the flag in Saudi Arabia? Do you really believe our students don't deserve to learn proper deportment now?

I think it polite diplomatically to stand during another country's national anthem. Not to do so would be a slap in the face. To be honest, I think you should stand for anybody's national anthem. Hand over heart? Hhmmm...

I don't even sing ours because it talks about God....

In terms of character and values.....No. We are not.

In terms of character, I'd say it's better off. Values - that's debatable and what your values are...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back