More idiocy from Rev. Jeb Bush

Gabriella84 said:

Gabby, glad to see you link to something! You could even include the first couple of paragraphs in quotes.

Sounds like it might be struck down by the courts, but in the meantime it could do some good. Want to curtail gang recruitment? More fathers involved with their children would do much more good than all the best equipped, pristine parks on every street corner.

Gabriella84 said:
What a maroon.
Why, because he wants to strengthen the family? I see that as a good thing, don't you?

The article suggested that the parts of the program that were in the public school system were not religious. Just because a program has a Christian background does not mean that the program itself promotes religion. Maybe if it is such a concern though, other religions could get on board so that the families can choose the stream in the program that most matches their religious beliefs.

1. If you are Christian, open a bible to Corinthians 13.
2. If you are Jewish...
3. If you are athiest...

I am not Christian but I hate it when Christian groups come up with great programs but the reaction by others is "how can I stop the Christians from doing this good thing?". Shouldn't the reaction be "how can my group come up with great programs too"?

HorhayAtAMD said:
Why, because he wants to strengthen the family? I see that as a good thing, don't you?

The article suggested that the parts of the program that were in the public school system were not religious. Just because a program has a Christian background does not mean that the program itself promotes religion. Maybe if it is such a concern though, other religions could get on board so that the families can choose the stream in the program that most matches their religious beliefs.

2. If you are Jewish...
3. If you are athiest...

I am not Christian but I hate it when Christian groups come up with great programs but the reaction by others is "how can I stop the Christians from doing this good thing?". Shouldn't the reaction be "how can my group come up with great programs too"?

Your closing sentence summed it up...kudos to you! :dance:

HorhayAtAMD said:

2. If you are Jewish...
3. If you are athiest...

Couldn't agree more. Great response. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Simply put, Christian programs and policies have no place in public schools. Because not every student that attends public schools is Christian. Those who feel that Christian theology should be a part of schooling have plenty of Christian schools to choose from.

Gabriella84 said:
Simply put, Christian programs and policies have no place in public schools. Because not every student that attends public schools is Christian. Those who feel that Christian theology should be a part of schooling have plenty of Christian schools to choose from.

By that logic: Simply put, homosexual teachings and agendas have no place in public schools. Because not every student, nigh, not 1 in a 100 students is homosexual or has 'two mommies' or 'two daddies' or whatever combo is being pushed. Those who feel that their children need this kind of support, should have their own schools to provide it.

I went through 12 years of public school education and was never subject to any "homosexual teachings and agendas." I was corrupted by the despicable "abstinence only" sex education practices. I don't recall hearing anything about homosexuality. No one ever taught me that it was deviant and wrong, so perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Gabriella84 said:
I went through 12 years of public school education and was never subject to any "homosexual teachings and agendas." I was corrupted by the despicable "abstinence only" sex education practices. I don't recall hearing anything about homosexuality. No one ever taught me that it was deviant and wrong, so perhaps that is what you are referring to.

And was already pointed out that 'Christianity' was not on the agenda of this program, yet you have no problem in saying the program can't exist, because of it's 'roots'.

Would you also be in favor of a Islam-based program promoting morality and strong parent-family ties?

Gabriella84 said:
What is "despicable" about abstinence only practices?

Gabriella84 said:
Would you also be in favor of a Islam-based program promoting morality and strong parent-family ties?

Look at my original response. You were the one arguing for exclusivity. Personally I think anything that strengthens families will do good for children.

Gabriella84 said:

why do the teach kwanza in public schools?

freeandfun1 said:
What is "despicable" about abstinence only practices?

They are totally impractical and unworkable in modern society. A teenager in modern society is totally bombarded by references to sex -- magazines, TV, movies, all types of pop culture. Pretty much everything extolls the virtues of sex, and how awesome it is to have sex. Guys are pretty much considered "failures" if they don't "score" before they get out of high school. Girls are told how "cool" it is if they "score" with a stud popular guy.
At the same time, sex education is pretty much limited to "DON'T DO IT!" Kids are left to find out at home, where your parents may or may not tell you anything.

This leaves a teenage girl afflicted with raging hormones and an almost constant barrage of sexual references and pressure from their peers to "do it." A lot of them will, either to satisfy their curiousity (moi) and/or to rebel against their parents and authority.
I have heard it compared to allowing kids to watching a movie about kind, lovable drunks, then leaving the house with a six-pack of beer on the counter. It has to be cool, doesn't it?

You can still teach kids that it is not wise to have sex. But you should also teach them precautions. Teach them about the risks of pregnancy and STDs. Teach them about birth control.
No matter how much you try to marginalize sex, some kids are going to do it anyway. You want to see teen pregnancy rates drop? It's called "birth control."

Gabriella84 said:
They are totally impractical and unworkable in modern society. A teenager in modern society is totally bombarded by references to sex -- magazines, TV, movies, all types of pop culture. Pretty much everything extolls the virtues of sex, and how awesome it is to have sex. Guys are pretty much considered "failures" if they don't "score" before they get out of high school. Girls are told how "cool" it is if they "score" with a stud popular guy.
At the same time, sex education is pretty much limited to "DON'T DO IT!" Kids are left to find out at home, where your parents may or may not tell you anything.

This leaves a teenage girl afflicted with raging hormones and an almost constant barrage of sexual references and pressure from their peers to "do it." A lot of them will, either to satisfy their curiousity (moi) and/or to rebel against their parents and authority.
I have heard it compared to allowing kids to watching a movie about kind, lovable drunks, then leaving the house with a six-pack of beer on the counter. It has to be cool, doesn't it?

You can still teach kids that it is not wise to have sex. But you should also teach them precautions. Teach them about the risks of pregnancy and STDs. Teach them about birth control.
No matter how much you try to marginalize sex, some kids are going to do it anyway. You want to see teen pregnancy rates drop? It's called "birth control."
It works for millions of teenagers and adults. Despicable means vile and worthy of contempt. If there is anything in the world that is despicable (vile and worthy of contempt) it is people like YOU!

manu1959 said:
nah it is called self control .....or you could buy a vibrator
Self control? Ahhh, c'mon, that would mean taking on personal responsibility! (and giving up rides on cool sail boats!)

I have a cool fiance AND a vibrator.... so what's the point?

Forum List

Back