More Hope & Change

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seems there was plenty of noise when Bush let those US attorneys were fired....

Obama removes AmeriCorps's IG in spat with friend - Yahoo! News

Obama removes AmeriCorps's IG in spat with friend

By ANN SANNER and PETE YOST, Associated Press Writers
21 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama says he has lost confidence in the inspector general who investigates AmeriCorps and other national service programs and has told Congress he is removing him from the position.

Obama's move follows an investigation by IG Gerald Walpin of Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is an Obama supporter and former NBA basketball star, into the misuse of federal grants by a nonprofit education group that Johnson headed.

Walpin was criticized by the acting U.S. attorney in Sacramento for the way he handled an investigation of Johnson and St. HOPE Academy, a nonprofit group that received hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal grants from the Corporation for National Community Service. The corporation runs the AmeriCorps program.

"It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as Inspectors General," Obama said in a letter Thursday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Vice President Joe Biden, who also serves as president of the Senate. "That is no longer the case with regard to this Inspector General."

The president didn't offer any more explanation, but White House Counsel Gregory Craig, in a letter to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, cited the U.S. attorney's criticism of Walpin to an integrity committee for inspectors general.

"We are aware of the circumstances leading to that referral and of Mr. Walpin's conduct throughout his tenure and can assure you that the president's decision was carefully considered," Craig wrote.

Grassley had written Obama a letter pointing to a law requiring that Congress be given the reasons an IG is fired. He cited a Senate report saying the requirement is designed to ensure that inspectors general are not removed for political reasons.

Grassley said Walpin had identified millions of dollars in AmeriCorps funds that were wasted or misspent and "it appears he has been doing a good job."...

21 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama says he has lost confidence in the inspector general who investigates AmeriCorps and other national service programs and has told Congress he is removing him from the position.

Obama's move follows an investigation by IG Gerald Walpin of Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is an Obama supporter and former NBA basketball star, into the misuse of federal grants by a nonprofit education group that Johnson headed.

Walpin was criticized by the acting U.S. attorney in Sacramento for the way he handled an investigation of Johnson and St. HOPE Academy, a nonprofit group that received hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal grants from the Corporation for National Community Service. The corporation runs the AmeriCorps program.

"It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as Inspectors General," Obama said in a letter Thursday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Vice President Joe Biden, who also serves as president of the Senate. "That is no longer the case with regard to this Inspector General."

The president didn't offer any more explanation, but White House Counsel Gregory Craig, in a letter to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, cited the U.S. attorney's criticism of Walpin to an integrity committee for inspectors general.

"We are aware of the circumstances leading to that referral and of Mr. Walpin's conduct throughout his tenure and can assure you that the president's decision was carefully considered," Craig wrote.

Grassley had written Obama a letter pointing to a law requiring that Congress be given the reasons an IG is fired. He cited a Senate report saying the requirement is designed to ensure that inspectors general are not removed for political reasons.

Grassley said Walpin had identified millions of dollars in AmeriCorps funds that were wasted or misspent and "it appears he has been doing a good job."...
Looks like he was turning over the wrong rocks.

Constitutionally, he has the absolute right to fire anyone for any or no reason. As did Bush, as did Clinton (who fired all the AG's when he came into office.)

But I don't believe this is the kind of transparency folks thought they were voting for. The reason is pretty obvious, transparent even. It doesn't inspire confidence

21 mins ago

Constitutionally, he has the absolute right to fire anyone for any or no reason. As did Bush, as did Clinton (who fired all the AG's when he came into office.)

But I don't believe this is the kind of transparency folks thought they were voting for. The reason is pretty obvious, transparent even. It doesn't inspire confidence

I agree, as President he can claim a loss of confidence and fire him. BUT where are all those liberals that keep claiming Bush should have been investigated and impeached for firing 8 DA's he had every right to fire, I might add AFTER they served their original 4 year term.

Where is Jillian to tell us how this was all politically motivated and designed to protect the Democratic party or President. She made those claims when the Attorneys were fired. Were is ravi and the rest to whine about how he fired him just because he wouldn't do as he was told?

I agree, as President he can claim a loss of confidence and fire him. BUT where are all those liberals that keep claiming Bush should have been investigated and impeached for firing 8 DA's he had every right to fire, I might add AFTER they served their original 4 year term.

Where is Jillian to tell us how this was all politically motivated and designed to protect the Democratic party or President. She made those claims when the Attorneys were fired. Were is ravi and the rest to whine about how he fired him just because he wouldn't do as he was told?

Dude, you are a serious masochist. The mob beat-down mentality of the left doesn't find you enough that you have to invite it?:lol:

Dude, you are a serious masochist. The mob beat-down mentality of the left doesn't find you enough that you have to invite it?:lol:

Did they or did they NOT make the claims I just LISTED? I AM feed UP WITH THEIR LIES AND "OHH I DON'T REMEMBER THAT" CRAP.

And then the absolute silence from the rest of you on the issue.

Go ahead check out the Thread I started on Remembering and show me where any of you that know I am right have bothered to tell these liars they are lying.

Did they or did they NOT make the claims I just LISTED? I AM feed UP WITH THEIR LIES AND "OHH I DON'T REMEMBER THAT" CRAP.

And then the absolute silence from the rest of you on the issue.

Go ahead check out the Thread I started on Remembering and show me where any of you that know I am right have bothered to tell these liars they are lying.

I am not saying you are wrong. It is one of the entertaining realities of these people to behave that way. Getting upset about it is like getting upset because you get wet when you have to work in the rain.

I have to work from the reality that I am responsible for my behavior, and they are responsible for theirs. I defended Bush (not here, I wasn't here at the time) for sacking the attys. because he had every right to do so. 0bama also has every right to do so.

There is a very transparent reason for his doing so, and it is a very good idea to point that out. There is so much dishonest about the man and his regime that there are not enough hours in a day to point them all out. So it is a good idea to remind folks what this guy is, and this is the reason we don't like him. (They like to invent other reasons, and it is very important to remind them of the reality rather than their fantasies.)

So here is one more thing to bring up again in the summer of 2012. Don't forget it. But also don't forget that others watch us, and it is not good to copy the bad behavior we claim to detest, like changing principles when the shoe goes on the other foot.

Forum List

Back