more hope, change and transparency

Frankly, why does anyone find this surprising? Bracak Obama is a politician and knows the difference between a campaign slogan and actually being in the office. One was his marketing tool to actually get people who would otherwise not vote for him to do so. You really didn't think he meant it when he said he was going to "change" did you? How can someone who was in Washington change Washington as an outsider? The whole notion of "change" was nothing more than a marketing gimick that enough people bought into to get him elected. I find it somewhat of a "double standard" that the same people who tore George Bush down daily, simply dismiss Obama for doing the same exact things, case in point this!!

I don't find it surprising

I'm just busy laughing at the ones that bought the shit he was selling... hook, line, and sinker

They ALL do a sales job on the campaign trail. Are you kidding? Someone once defined the words of campaign promises equal to poetry, and reality equal to prose.

It's clear that many of you haven't been through enough campaigns and elections to know the difference.

Well Maggie, suppose, since you fancy yourself informed, you tell the rest of us exactly what part of Obama's sales job was real and what he was just flat out lying about. Can you do that? Can you tell us why we shouldn't look at him and see the big eared hypocrite that he is?

( And if you possibly can manage it, please explain without telling us that George Bush did it too. )

It's the way of modern campaigning. Hell Bill Clinton even managed to get away with running as a Democrat. What a snowjob that was.

LMAO....when bush used this argument the left wingnuts cried foul and demanded openess...obama uses the same argument and not a peep

democrats are destroying themselves, no wonder many republicans are sitting back, why bother politicking to much when the dems are doing a great job of losing the next elections all their own

democrats are destroying themselves, no wonder many republicans are sitting back, why bother politicking to much when the dems are doing a great job of losing the next elections all their own

The party in power does seem to do that with consistency. The only problem is that they tend to fuck a lot of shit up in the process (See 2001-2008).

Obama has never supported same-sex marriage. As for the rest of your quoted material, it's about time the United States stopped acting like a sainted global power, better and "above" everyone else, when any novice history buff knows we are not.

In all of the posts where we banter about liberal and conservative, never has the difference between us been so clearly enunciated.

America is better and "above" other nations.

Never in history has there been a document like the Constitution.

Never in history has there been a nation that accumulated so much power and used it so judiciously.

Alexis de Tocqueville first wrote of America as ‘exceptional’ in 1835.

"We are the oldest continuing democracy in the world. . . . We don't make refugees, we admit them. When the rich of the world get sick, they come here to be treated, and when their children come of age, they send them here to our universities. We have a supple political system open to reform, and a wildly diverse culture that has moments of stress but plenty of give. . . . The point is that while terrible challenges face us -- improving a sick public education system, ending the easy-money culture, rebuilding the economy -- we are building from an extraordinary, brilliant, and enduring base."
Peggy Noonan, WSJ

“In most countries in the world your fate and your identity are handed to you; in America, you determine them for yourself. America is a country where you get to writh the script of your own life. Your life is like a blank sheet of paper, and you are the artist. This notion of being the architect of your own destiny is the incredibly powerful idea that is behind the worldwide appeal of America.” Dinesh D’Souza, born in India.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I never suggested or even intimated that this wasn't the greatest country in the world in which to live. But we have made major blunders in relationships with other countries, many of whom see us as a bully rather than a leader. Obama in all his speeches overseas has strived to quell that discontent, and I see nothing wrong with that. At this point on the world stage it's more important than ever to gather our allies together, mend old partnerships and create new ones. The fact that so many of you see his intent as somehow being anti-American or even traitorous fail to grasp the big picture.

I'm just busy laughing at the ones that bought the shit he was selling... hook, line, and sinker

They ALL do a sales job on the campaign trail. Are you kidding? Someone once defined the words of campaign promises equal to poetry, and reality equal to prose.

It's clear that many of you haven't been through enough campaigns and elections to know the difference.

Well Maggie, suppose, since you fancy yourself informed, you tell the rest of us exactly what part of Obama's sales job was real and what he was just flat out lying about. Can you do that? Can you tell us why we shouldn't look at him and see the big eared hypocrite that he is?

( And if you possibly can manage it, please explain without telling us that George Bush did it too. )

I think he had some grandiose ideas, like believing he could create a compromising atmosphere between the parties. He had a firm set of domestic policies he campaigned on and has tried to carry out those campaign pledges, even in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. That it is impossible to be as "transparent" as he promised is something he learned the hard way that cannot be done.

One campaign statement he made over and over again was "I am not perfect, and mistakes will be made," but you people expect him to be perfect. And THAT is what pisses me off to no end. NO new president gets to do exactly what he wants amid the behemoth bureaucracies that they would LIKE to be able to control.

Ironically, the liberals are the ones giving him as much trouble for not fulfilling all the campaign promises he made. I should think you would be happy about that.

I think he had some grandiose ideas, like believing he could create a compromising atmosphere between the parties. He had a firm set of domestic policies he campaigned on and has tried to carry out those campaign pledges, even in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. That it is impossible to be as "transparent" as he promised is something he learned the hard way that cannot be done.

One campaign statement he made over and over again was "I am not perfect, and mistakes will be made," but you people expect him to be perfect. And THAT is what pisses me off to no end. NO new president gets to do exactly what he wants amid the behemoth bureaucracies that they would LIKE to be able to control.

Ironically, the liberals are the ones giving him as much trouble for not fulfilling all the campaign promises he made. I should think you would be happy about that.

So, basically, you don't have a clue what was real and what was BS either. All you had to do was say so.

And really, how impossible is it to turn over the list of Whitehouse visitors for the last few months?

Obama has never supported same-sex marriage. As for the rest of your quoted material, it's about time the United States stopped acting like a sainted global power, better and "above" everyone else, when any novice history buff knows we are not.

In all of the posts where we banter about liberal and conservative, never has the difference between us been so clearly enunciated.

America is better and "above" other nations.

Never in history has there been a document like the Constitution.

Never in history has there been a nation that accumulated so much power and used it so judiciously.

Alexis de Tocqueville first wrote of America as ‘exceptional’ in 1835.

"We are the oldest continuing democracy in the world. . . . We don't make refugees, we admit them. When the rich of the world get sick, they come here to be treated, and when their children come of age, they send them here to our universities. We have a supple political system open to reform, and a wildly diverse culture that has moments of stress but plenty of give. . . . The point is that while terrible challenges face us -- improving a sick public education system, ending the easy-money culture, rebuilding the economy -- we are building from an extraordinary, brilliant, and enduring base."
Peggy Noonan, WSJ

“In most countries in the world your fate and your identity are handed to you; in America, you determine them for yourself. America is a country where you get to writh the script of your own life. Your life is like a blank sheet of paper, and you are the artist. This notion of being the architect of your own destiny is the incredibly powerful idea that is behind the worldwide appeal of America.” Dinesh D’Souza, born in India.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I never suggested or even intimated that this wasn't the greatest country in the world in which to live. But we have made major blunders in relationships with other countries, many of whom see us as a bully rather than a leader. Obama in all his speeches overseas has strived to quell that discontent, and I see nothing wrong with that. At this point on the world stage it's more important than ever to gather our allies together, mend old partnerships and create new ones. The fact that so many of you see his intent as somehow being anti-American or even traitorous fail to grasp the big picture.

I would have no trouble defending the greatness of this country, comparing it to any presumed 'blunders' that you might suggest.

President Obama does not agree with the exceptionalism of the United States, as exposed in his constant apologies. He certainly has failed in any efforts to " gather our allies together, mend old partnerships and create new ones."

Nor has he defended liberty, as seen in his silence about the mayhem in Iran. A firm statement would have placed us on the right side of history.

Recall the great Ronald Reagan, when Poland's freedom was threatened: "...freedom was lost in Afghanistan; this Christmas, it’s at stake in Poland. But the torch of liberty is hot. It warms those who hold it high. It burns those who try to extinguish it."

Our current Presidnent offered to abandon Poland (the missile defense plan) in talks with Russia.

The discontent you see is of one with human nature, not based on objectivity. I came across this quote in a biography of Lorenzo de Medici,
"“The fact that others dislike any one being superior to themselves ensures that whenever this happens, these men are destroyed.”
Francesco Guicciardini, Dialogue on the Government of Florence

I hope that you can see how you have fallen into this kind of thinking.

:party:

The party in power does seem to do that with consistency. The only problem is that they tend to fuck a lot of shit up in the process (See 2001-2008).

Which is really the heart of it, isn't it? The public allows itself to be "snowed" over and over again, failing to learn from the past -- politicians never change you know. Each election, promises are made while the people see the fuck-ups they're tired of, but they can't seem to recall that it's a never-ending cycle. We've just entered the latest cycle.

Which is really the heart of it, isn't it? The public allows itself to be "snowed" over and over again, failing to learn from the past -- politicians never change you know. Each election, promises are made while the people see the fuck-ups they're tired of, but they can't seem to recall that it's a never-ending cycle. We've just entered the latest cycle.

No truer words have ever been spoken... but this latest cycle is one of which the magnitude of lies, blunders and hardships we've already seen and will continue to see is like none we've ever witnessed before.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back