More 'good' news on fracking

Shoulda woulda coulda. Tell that to the people whose water is fucked, you imbecile. I'm not playing, but you obviously are, with other people's health. I'm not tired, either, i'll continue to call you on your uninformed bullshit. Try again, lenny.

Any action can have negative consequences, if done improperly. There is no such thing as 0% risk. Your blind ignorance of the basic science and engineering behind the method of gas extraction shows a person unwilling to look into the actual mechanics of the method in question, and a basic "NIMBY" approach to anything you dont understand or like.

I have a Masters in ChemE, so uninformed is not the way to go, tough guy. You may not like what I am talking about, but on the science and engineering, I have you cold.

Try again.

I've researched it extensively and I say NIMBY all the way.

I don't believe they have it nearly as well in hand as you suggest. And "if it's done safely, it will be safe" isn't even a real argument, let alone a convincing one.

Exactly. Mr master baiter chemist watched 60 minutes for his degree.

Shoulda woulda coulda. Tell that to the people whose water is fucked, you imbecile. I'm not playing, but you obviously are, with other people's health. I'm not tired, either, i'll continue to call you on your uninformed bullshit. Try again, lenny.

Any action can have negative consequences, if done improperly. There is no such thing as 0% risk. Your blind ignorance of the basic science and engineering behind the method of gas extraction shows a person unwilling to look into the actual mechanics of the method in question, and a basic "NIMBY" approach to anything you dont understand or like.

I have a Masters in ChemE, so uninformed is not the way to go, tough guy. You may not like what I am talking about, but on the science and engineering, I have you cold.

Try again.

You work for an oil company?

Actually I work for an Engineering firm, and my specialty is in water and wastewater treatment.

Try again.

I don't believe they have it nearly as well in hand as you suggest. And "if it's done safely, it will be safe" isn't even a real argument, let alone a convincing one.

I dont know anyone that would claim having a degree in engineering without having one, its not like it gets me anything.

I just don't feel like exposing myself to idiots like you by trotting out my actual personal information. But suffice to say, I have graduated from an accredited Engineering school, have a NYS PE License, and have 13 years of experience in the water and wastewater treatment industry.

Try again.

That is your call to make, although having one on your property would be finacially lucrative.

The "if it is done safely, it will be safe" argument, while not 100% convicing, I admit, is the best you can get, even though people won't tell you that. NOTHING is 100% safe, there is always risk.

My issue is not with people who have a concern, that is thier right. It is the job of people with degrees like mine (but a different specialization) to convince you it can be done with an aeceptable risk. What I can't agree with is people who out of pure emotional response, decide the only course of action is to BAN BAN BAN without even trying to come to a compromise that allows for the drilling, but maximizes the safety factor for the work involved.

At least you have done some research, I only hope you didn't just look at the "evironmentalist" papers on it. You should read the industry papers on it as well for a balanced viewpoint.

I dont know anyone that would claim having a degree in engineering without having one, its not like it gets me anything.

I just don't feel like exposing myself to idiots like you by trotting out my actual personal information. But suffice to say, I have graduated from an accredited Engineering school, have a NYS PE License, and have 13 years of experience in the water and wastewater treatment industry.

I didn't ask you for personal information. you're trying to bolster your flagging argument with fake credentials. Sick. I'm sure you knew that i wouldn't be impressed with your turd chaser job, so you embellished it. Sorry. Epic fail, you lose. Next.

I didn't ask you for personal information. you're trying to bolster your flagging argument with fake credentials. Sick. I'm sure you knew that i wouldn't be impressed with your turd chaser job, so you embellished it. Sorry. Epic fail, you lose. Next.

Fail argument. To validate my credentials, you would need my actual name, PE # etc. That is basically asking for my personal information.

No embelishing required. I work as a construction manager at a wastewater treatment plant expansion. In the past I did design for for chemical addition to drinking water, and basic research at a advanced wastewater treatment pilot facility, with concentration in removal of Nitrogen from wastewater by biological means.

Trust me, no one falsely claims to be a ChemE. its not exactly a great pickup line at a bar.

Fail argument. To validate my credentials, you would need my actual name, PE # etc. That is basically asking for my personal information.

No embelishing required. I work as a construction manager at a wastewater treatment plant expansion. In the past I did design for for chemical addition to drinking water, and basic research at a advanced wastewater treatment pilot facility, with concentration in removal of Nitrogen from wastewater by biological means.

Trust me, no one falsely claims to be a ChemE. its not exactly a great pickup line at a bar.

Trust you? You just falsely claimed it! And to try and win a debate on a topic of which you have limited knowledge. Sad. I don't want your personal info, stop trying to trot it out. Game over. You lost. Pick a new thread, invent a new career, and try again. you've been busted here.

Trust you? You just falsely claimed it! And to try and win a debate on a topic of which you have limited knowledge. Sad. I don't want your personal info, stop trying to trot it out. Game over. You lost. Pick a new thread, invent a new career, and try again. you've been busted here.

I can continue to discuss on this thread with people who are reasonable. My knowledge of fracking technology is probably better than the average person, but less than an engineer who specializes in it.

I won't place you on ignore, because half wit trolls such as youself please me, and having you respond each time to one of my posts pleases me even more. That being said..

Your mother fucks dead horses, i suggest you take up the habit as well.

State environmental regulators have said the water that flows back from "fracking" natural gas wells in the Marcellus Shale is really foul stuff.

A recently published peer-reviewed U.S. Forest Service study offers a glimpse of just how foul.

Mary Beth Adams, a U.S. Forest Service researcher, studied what happened when 75,000 gallons of fracking fluids legally released from a non-Marcellus well were spread on the ground in a quarter-acre section of the Fernow Experimental Forest in West Virginia.

Within two days, all ground plants were dead.

Within 10 days, leaves of trees began to turn brown.

Within two years, more than half of the approximately 150 trees were dead.

But but but, it's perfectly safe. :doubt:

Fracking water test leaves salty aftertaste | PennLive.com

Thanks Mani.

It's a bit of a no brainer that salt water kills plants. But why dump it?

Seems evaporation or using it to prevent icy roads would have been a better an safer idea.

We, in PA, use slurry constantly in the winter, so it would seem a capital idea for the government to buy from a local frack rig.

Hope this changes, b/c just dumping it is wrong, I don't care if it was a lot over a small area.

State environmental regulators have said the water that flows back from "fracking" natural gas wells in the Marcellus Shale is really foul stuff.

A recently published peer-reviewed U.S. Forest Service study offers a glimpse of just how foul.

Mary Beth Adams, a U.S. Forest Service researcher, studied what happened when 75,000 gallons of fracking fluids legally released from a non-Marcellus well were spread on the ground in a quarter-acre section of the Fernow Experimental Forest in West Virginia.

Thanks Mani.

Seems evaporation or using it to prevent icy roads would have been a better an safer idea.

We, in PA, use slurry constantly in the winter, so it would seem a capital idea for the government to buy from a local frack rig.

Hope this changes, b/c just dumping it is wrong, I don't care if it was a lot over a small area.

Sounds good,but spreading on the roads is not a good idea.The water is not just dumped,NO potable water is used.Its a God send for many in NE Pa,and everyone with a reasonable mindset is waiting for NY to get its act together. The will be changes to the methods,and spills will happen,but the few problems that have happend in Pa,have been,beside being totaly blown out of proportion or boarder line lie,mitigated quickly and completely.

We need the energy,its here,we need the economic benefits as well.
And no the worlds water will not be ruined.

Thanks Mani.

Sounds good,but spreading on the roads is not a good idea.The water is not just dumped,NO potable water is used.Its a God send for many in NE Pa,and everyone with a reasonable mindset is waiting for NY to get its act together. The will be changes to the methods,and spills will happen,but the few problems that have happend in Pa,have been,beside being totaly blown out of proportion or boarder line lie,mitigated quickly and completely.

We need the energy,its here,we need the economic benefits as well.
And no the worlds water will not be ruined.

I've done a lot of research on fracking b/c I live in Bethlehem and wanted to ensure the safety of my family.

Most of the negs on fracking are assumptions that get blown out of proportion with little or no input from the other side. The same is true for this story.

However, they did dump the fluid and that should not have been done.

The idea of using it on the roads was just that, an idea. I have no idea if it would actually work. Just assumed salt is salt.

"Hey there, how'd you like to know where your poo goes after you flush?"

Hmmm yeah. Not a good pick up line, I must agree.

:rofl:

I can continue to discuss on this thread with people who are reasonable. My knowledge of fracking technology is probably better than the average person, but less than an engineer who specializes in it.

I won't place you on ignore, because half wit trolls such as youself please me, and having you respond each time to one of my posts pleases me even more. That being said..

Snappy comeback. Glad you admitted defeat. Pick another degree, and try again, lenny!

Thanks Mani.

But, but, but, my ChemE degree says.......:eusa_whistle:

Snappy comeback. Glad you admitted defeat. Pick another degree, and try again, lenny!

I never admit defeat, I root for the New York Mets.

Suck off a goat.

Other people seem capable of having a reasoned discussion, alas your grey matter is not up to the task. Keep thinking you won if it makes your miserable existance more meaningful.

did I mention suck off a goat?

Thanks Mani.

The issue is that the water contains other substances, and probably not the salt you would rather use on roadways. Remember that when spring hits or a thaw, whatever was on the road ends up in the stormwater or in the soil by the roadside.

To treat the water you would likely precipiate out as much of the solids as possible by creating precipitating salts. you then pour off the clarified liquid for further treatment, and the resulting brine for seperate treatment.

Thanks Mani.

The issue is that the water contains other substances, and probably not the salt you would rather use on roadways. Remember that when spring hits or a thaw, whatever was on the road ends up in the stormwater or in the soil by the roadside.

To treat the water you would likely precipiate out as much of the solids as possible by creating precipitating salts. you then pour off the clarified liquid for further treatment, and the resulting brine for seperate treatment.

sounds like it's better to let it evaporate, re-use for more fracking or boil it off some how and re-use the container.

Thanks Mani.

Processes that have been used for decades,this is a viable resource ignoring it is a huge mistake.

My biggest fear is NY will dick around as always,find a way to screw it up,just call Albany.

And the resulting legal battles will stop drilling befor it even starts. I get down into Pa about 2-3 time a week servicing clients involved with gas drilling.The locals by a wide margin support gas drilling,Pa just has its act together much better than NY when it comes to natural resources

sounds like it's better to let it evaporate, re-use for more fracking or boil it off some how and re-use the container.

Its more a question of any long chain organics used in the fluid. those are more annoying to treat. Remember alot of the brackishness comes from the water displaced from adding the fracking fluid, not from the original fluid itself.

As any newer technology, they will find better ways to reduce the water consuption, and increase recycling of any used frack fluid. Especially in NY as the wastewater requirements will probably be very strict. The best formations for drilling are right by the NYC watershed, and NYC is very protective of its reservoirs.

Forum List

Back