More good from the President

Obama discovered that acting like a Progressive wasn't working for him.

So now he's trying to act more conservative.

Too bad most of us don't have short term memory loss.

Truly.

this from the op

He also issued a memorandum to all executive agencies calling for "more transparency and accountability in regulatory compliance" and a second one on the need to "reduce burdens on small businesses whenever possible," the White House said.

haven't we heard that "transparency" bullshit before?
Well, I know that we've heard this bullshit before.

Obama discovered that acting like a Progressive wasn't working for him.

So now he's trying to act more conservative.

Too bad most of us don't have short term memory loss.

Truly.

this from the op

He also issued a memorandum to all executive agencies calling for "more transparency and accountability in regulatory compliance" and a second one on the need to "reduce burdens on small businesses whenever possible," the White House said.

the previous Congress

The contracts were purposely, (even admittedly) worded far more complex than the average non-legalise consumer was able to decipher. And although I'd agree that it's still on their own shoulders(the consumer), I still found that to be a shotty business practice regardless.

perhaps..

But if one did not understand it, then why did one sign it?

Whereas I understand the reasoning behind the regulation, the way it was marketed to the people made it sound like those that signed without understanding what tey signed were victims.

They were not.

They were culrptis of irresponsible behavior. They signed saying the understood when, in fact, they did not understand.

And it now opens the door to people ALWAYS falling back on that excuse..

Before you know it...a contract will read like a childrens book.....and we will be scores of years behind the rest of the world as it petrtains to intelligence.

ahahahaha. I don't think the whole Rabbit hole theory will happen here man. I'm really not that worried about it.

We are seeing it with mortgages daily.
We are seeing it with auto loans as well.
There is litigation right now in NY about a guy who bought term insurance and thought it was whole life and claims that the language was too confusing for him....
We are seeing them with leases and lease escalations.

I guess we can assume nothing will come of it...but maybe...just maybe...if some of the blame was passed on to the signer....

perhaps..

But if one did not understand it, then why did one sign it?

Whereas I understand the reasoning behind the regulation, the way it was marketed to the people made it sound like those that signed without understanding what tey signed were victims.

They were not.

They were culrptis of irresponsible behavior. They signed saying the understood when, in fact, they did not understand.

And it now opens the door to people ALWAYS falling back on that excuse..

Before you know it...a contract will read like a childrens book.....and we will be scores of years behind the rest of the world as it petrtains to intelligence.

ahahahaha. I don't think the whole Rabbit hole theory will happen here man. I'm really not that worried about it.

We are seeing it with mortgages daily.
We are seeing it with auto loans as well.
There is litigation right now in NY about a guy who bought term insurance and thought it was whole life and claims that the language was too confusing for him....
We are seeing them with leases and lease escalations.

I guess we can assume nothing will come of it...but maybe...just maybe...if some of the blame was passed on to the signer....

The list you said of what we're "seeing" is not what I said that I'm not afraid of happening.

I'm referring to people getting dumber as a direct result of making previously slick-worded fees more apparent, as you said it would make them dumber. I'm not too worried about it. There's a lot more things out there making our Country stupid than making applications less cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
Truly.

this from the op

the previous Congress
WillowTree was in the previous Congress?

I'll clarify how these aren't examples of what we were discussing by adding my own expla. right after them.

We are seeing it with mortgages daily. (as a result of making credit card fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)
We are seeing it with auto loans as well. (as a result of making credit cards fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)
There is litigation right now in NY about a guy who bought term insurance and thought it was whole life and claims that the language was too confusing for him....(I don't agree with him if this is the case, but I don't see the correlation between him already being fucking stupid, and making credit card appls. more legible to the consumer adding to his stupidity...)
We are seeing them with leases and lease escalations.(as a result of making credit cards fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)

I don't disagree that people are stupid, but really the statement of mine you're responding to is only saying that I highly doubt that clearer credit applications are going to make anyone measurable dumber. You missed that point, as evidenced with this response, but that's alright you're still my homey.

Last edited:

Personally, I would be a lot more inclined to give him credit for this if he did not do it through an oped in a newspaper. Political posturing like that is wrong, and I do not support it even if I agree with it.

By the way, who gets to determine if a particular regulation is anti job and economic growth? Pretty much all regulations are possible to catgorize that way, even the beneficial ones, so who gets to decide? I would be a lot more supportive if he was to open the entire process up to debate, and let intelligent people decide for themselves if they would rather be able to work with something that is possibly harmful, or have the government tell them they have to find another job.

I'll clarify how these aren't examples of what we were discussing by adding my own expla. right after them.

We are seeing it with mortgages daily. (as a result of making credit card fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)
We are seeing it with auto loans as well. (as a result of making credit cards fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)
There is litigation right now in NY about a guy who bought term insurance and thought it was whole life and claims that the language was too confusing for him....(I don't agree with him if this is the case, but I don't see the correlation between him already being fucking stupid, and making credit card appls. more legible to the consumer adding to his stupidity...)
We are seeing them with leases and lease escalations.(as a result of making credit cards fees more apparent/clear? If not, does not apply)

I don't disagree that people are stupid, but really the statement of mine you're responding to is only saying that I highly doubt that clearer credit applications are going to make anyone measurable dumber. You missed that point, as evidenced with this response, but that's alright you're still my homey.

I expanded on your point showing you how regulation is not good just by being implemented. There needs to be an understanding of what really took place and why the need for regulation.

IN the case of credit cards, the regulation was required becuase people signed without understanding what they signed...and for no other reason.

Sure you blame the card companies for making the lingop so difficult...but truth is, the difficult lingo would have had zero affect on everyone if no one signed without understanding what they were signing.

And then what would have happened?

The credit card companies would have found that the only way to drum up buisiness was to offer easiy to read contracts..

And bingo.....no one gets hurt, the credit card companies have easy to read contracts...and no regulation necessary.

I expanded on your point showing you how regulation is not good just by being implemented. There needs to be an understanding of what really took place and why the need for regulation.

IN the case of credit cards, the regulation was required becuase people signed without understanding what they signed...and for no other reason.

Sure you blame the card companies for making the lingop so difficult...but truth is, the difficult lingo would have had zero affect on everyone if no one signed without understanding what they were signing.

The credit card companies would have found that the only way to drum up buisiness was to offer easiy to read contracts..

And bingo.....no one gets hurt, the credit card companies have easy to read contracts...and no regulation necessary.

Yea, it's not that simple. Especially how predatory they are. I turned 18 and never signed up for anything in my life and my mom's mail box was slammed with offers that month. "heeeeere....little broke and wide-eyed 18yr old..........heeeere kitty kitty" ....like Gargamel

Yea, it's not that simple. Especially how predatory they are. I turned 18 and never signed up for anything in my life and my mom's mail box was slammed with offers that month. "heeeeere....little broke and wide-eyed 18yr old..........heeeere kitty kitty" ....like Gargamel

Thats a different issue all together.
But as I showed you....if mature adults acted responsibly, we would not have to worry about regulation of companies.
If people did not lie abnout their incomes, the ninja loans would not have been a problem.
If people did not sit back and say "I will refinance in 5 years when the rate hikes up" we would not have the foreclosure issue..
If people were reponsible for with and for their actions, most of the regulation would not be necessary.

The government does not regulate the prices of most consumer goods.....yet they are pretty much in control as if they were regulated.

Regulation is necessary because of the consumer......the actions of the business is only "evil" if the consumer does something irresponsible. Otherwise, it could only hurt the business.

Forum List

Back