More Generations Living Under Same Roof?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
The evidence in this article seems pretty anecdotal. Anyone else read the same by another researched source?

If true it would be another sign we're returning to the good ol days of America. The good ol days where siblings shared twin sized mattresses and extended families all lived in the same house.

Seems a difficult thing to trace though. At least its a Census year.
By Lynn Adler Lynn Adler – Mon Feb 22, 9:38 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) – More generations are living under the same roof and the trend will deepen as families grappling with near double-digit unemployment share expenses, a study showed on Monday.

Demand is escalating for multi-generational housing as buyers scale down during the deepest housing crisis since the Great Depression, according to a survey by Coldwell Banker Real Estate in Parsippany, New Jersey.

Thirty-seven percent of the company's real estate agents polled in January said that in the past year, buyers were increasingly shopping for homes that fit more than one generation. Almost 70 percent of the agents said they expect economic conditions will drive still greater demand for this type of housing over the next year.
More generations living under same roof - Yahoo! News

Well home sales and rentals are both down and they have to be living somewhere.

This could lead to stronger families but will more likely lead to more domestic violence.

Not that I doubt this is an actual phenomenon...I just doubt it's a new phenomenon. I heard about this trend 10 years ago.

Not that I doubt this is an actual phenomenon...I just doubt it's a new phenomenon. I heard about this trend 10 years ago.

Yeah well the current problems started over 10 years ago.

That great big sucking sound.

And when you are trying to figure it out, go for average wages with inflation figured in.
Not average incomes, That top 1% skews the heck out of average incomes.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back