More fuel for the fire...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><a href=http://www.prospect.org/web/printfriendly-view.ww?id=8412>Battle of Little Big Vote</a></h1></center>

<center><h2>Welcome to South Dakota, where Republicans tried to impose a poll tax to suppress the Indian vote.</h2></center>

<blockquote>By Tara McKelvey

A plastic sign outside a polling place in Andes Central High School on the Yankton Sioux reservation was clear and concise. "Photo ID required," it read.

The only problem, said Charon Asetoyer, executive director of the Native American Women's Health Education Resource Center in Lake Andes, South Dakota, was that the sign was illegal.

Sitting in a conference room decorated with a buffalo skull, hand-sewn medicine bags, and a poster that says "Prevent Fetal Alcohol Syndrome," Asetoyer explains how the law doesn't, in fact, require voters to have a photo ID. If you don't have one, you can sign a personal-identification affidavit.

"The whole issue around denying Indian people the right to vote because they don't have a photo ID puts in people's minds, 'They're not going to let me vote, anyway, so why should I even go to vote?'" she said on June 15, describing what happened at the city election and at a June 1 special congressional election. "It's an intentional act to disenfranchise the Native American vote."

Nobody knows how widespread the problem was on June 1.But at least 21 Native Americans were turned away from the polls because they didn't have a photo ID, says Bret Healy, executive director of the Four Directions Committee, a nonprofit voter-registration organization in Rapid City, South Dakota. He's collected signed statements from all of them.</blockquote>

The <b>G</b>ang <b>O</b>f <b>P</b>erverts seems bent on stealing any election they can't win.

Bullypulpit said:
<<blockquote>By Tara McKelvey

A plastic sign outside a polling place in Andes Central High School on the Yankton Sioux reservation was clear and concise. "Photo ID required," it read.

The only problem, said Charon Asetoyer, executive director of the Native American Women's Health Education Resource Center in Lake Andes, South Dakota, was that the sign was illegal.

Sitting in a conference room decorated with a buffalo skull, hand-sewn medicine bags, and a poster that says "Prevent Fetal Alcohol Syndrome," Asetoyer explains how the law doesn't, in fact, require voters to have a photo ID. If you don't have one, you can sign a personal-identification affidavit.

"The whole issue around denying Indian people the right to vote because they don't have a photo ID puts in people's minds, 'They're not going to let me vote, anyway, so why should I even go to vote?'" she said on June 15, describing what happened at the city election and at a June 1 special congressional election. "It's an intentional act to disenfranchise the Native American vote."

Nobody knows how widespread the problem was on June 1.But at least 21 Native Americans were turned away from the polls because they didn't have a photo ID, says Bret Healy, executive director of the Four Directions Committee, a nonprofit voter-registration organization in Rapid City, South Dakota. He's collected signed statements from all of them.</blockquote>

The <b>G</b>ang <b>O</b>f <b>P</b>erverts seems bent on stealing any election they can't win.

Boy you're really hard up for material. I can certainly see where the simple requirement of proving who you are is an onerous burden designed by the GOP to deprive these poor folks of the right to vote.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

Merlin1047 said:
Boy you're really hard up for material. I can certainly see where the simple requirement of proving who you are is an onerous burden designed by the GOP to deprive these poor folks of the right to vote.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

Your ignorance, yet again, comes shining through. Voter ID is not the issue. The means being used for voter ID, in this case, are illegal i.e. requiring a photo ID where none is needed.

Bullypulpit said:
Your ignorance, yet again, comes shining through. Voter ID is not the issue. The means being used for voter ID, in this case, are illegal i.e. requiring a photo ID where none is needed.

If people are so stupid that they can't even find the voting booth, I assume that's the GOP trying to disenfranchise them by denying them education?
:poke:

For one thing, I don't know how you can clearly determine that photo id's are illegal- there hasn't been a court case in the supreme court in ages, maybe this one will change its mind...that's certainly the only way to know these days.

For another, e use photo id's for everything in this country- perhaps the polling authority just made a simple mistake??

Lastly, how do you know it was the GOP? From what I remember, voting establishments are required to be bipartisan. Nothing in the article you supplied suggests that it's the fault of only one party.

P.S. guess you should remember to post the sources for your articles next time.

Bullypulpit said:

Save your idiotic insults for someone who gives a rat's ass about your opinions. The real issue is that once again you have seized on a non-issue item and attempted to wave it around as if it means something.

Perhaps it is not my ignorance which is at issue here. More likely it is your pathetic attempts to contrive an issue where none exists.

Back under your bridge, troll.

My wife and I conducted a test yesterday. While at the grocery store, I voted in the Nevada primaries. They were also allowing people to register to vote.

Now get this..... my wife is not a US citizen, but she is a Resident-Alien. All they asked for her to register was a driver's license. This is the second time we have attempted to register her. The first time, they asked her affiliation and she said "Republican" and they told her she had to prove citizenship. Yesterday, she said "Democrat" and, you got it, they allowed her to register. In both cases she lied and said she was a citizen, but only when she wanted to register GOP did they require proof of citizenship. She is not going to vote, cuz she ain't a citizen. The lady that registered her yesterday told her, "if you don't say anything, I won't".

Needless to say, I called and left a message at the Secretary of States office last night but I probably won't hear from anybody until Monday. I am wondering if I should go to the media.

freeandfun1 said:
My wife and I conducted a test yesterday. While at the grocery store, I voted in the Nevada primaries. They were also allowing people to register to vote.

Now get this..... my wife is not a US citizen, but she is a Resident-Alien. All they asked for her to register was a driver's license. This is the second time we have attempted to register her. The first time, they asked her affiliation and she said "Republican" and they told her she had to prove citizenship. Yesterday, she said "Democrat" and, you got it, they allowed her to register. In both cases she lied and said she was a citizen, but only when she wanted to register GOP did they require proof of citizenship. She is not going to vote, cuz she ain't a citizen. The lady that registered her yesterday told her, "if you don't say anything, I won't".

Needless to say, I called and left a message at the Secretary of States office last night but I probably won't hear from anybody until Monday. I am wondering if I should go to the media.

hell ya--if anyone will pay attention to ya---I wanna tell my kid---"hey I know that guy" He's easily impressed ? :mm:

Forum List

Back