More from Seatte: Seattle Public Schools Define Racism

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I'm thinking Seattle Public School system is run by very stupid people. Makes me ashamed to be in the same species. :(

Seattle Public Schools Define Racism

The Seattle Public School District has done the public a service to define racism, as only a big city school district could. Full disclosure, my son, Andrew, goes to school in the Seattle Public School district. Andrew's mother teaches in a Seattle area public school district. A few Highlights.

Definitions of Racism

Racism:
The systematic subordination of members of targeted racial groups who have relatively little social power in the United States (Blacks, Latino/as, Native Americans, and Asians), by the members of the agent racial group who have relatively more social power (Whites). The subordination is supported by the actions of individuals, cultural norms and values, and the institutional structures and practices of society.

Now lets stop here for a minute to discuss. Now I always thought that racism was treating someone different because of their race but the way I read this definition, only whitey can be a racist. I also find it odd that Asians are included in the "racial groups who have relatively little social power" category. The Seattle School District seems to pick and choose when to group Asians with traditional minorities, such as here, and when to not include them in minority groups, such as when they want statistics to show the need for race based quotas because minorities are lagging behind academically. Lets continue:
Cultural Racism:
Those aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype, and label people of color as "other", different, less than, or render them invisible. Examples of these norms include defining white skin tones as nude or flesh colored, having a future time orientation, emphasizing individualism as opposed to a more collective ideology, defining one form of English as standard, and identifying only Whites as great writers or composers.

Read More:

http://andrews-dad.blogspot.com/2006/05/seattle-public-schools-define-racism.html

5stringJeff said:
So only whites can be racist, eh?

Good thing I'm certified American Indian.
According to my African-American Studies professor (a white man, BTW)... yes.

And :beer: I'm American Indian, too! Cherokee.

my dad's mum's family was in the SS....try and live that down

and my mum's mum's mum's family owned a plantation in the deep south

fooking hell i am a two time looser

manu1959 said:

Start shelling out the reparations dude--you OWE people big time ! :funnyface

manu1959 said:

Hey now... my g-g-g-g-g-g-great-grandfather (not on the Cherokee side) founded a planation in Virginia!

I'm thinking Seattle Public School system is run by very stupid people. Makes me ashamed to be in the same species. :(

Seattle Public Schools Define Racism

The Seattle Public School District has done the public a service to define racism, as only a big city school district could. Full disclosure, my son, Andrew, goes to school in the Seattle Public School district. Andrew's mother teaches in a Seattle area public school district. A few Highlights.

Definitions of Racism

Racism:
The systematic subordination of members of targeted racial groups who have relatively little social power in the United States (Blacks, Latino/as, Native Americans, and Asians), by the members of the agent racial group who have relatively more social power (Whites). The subordination is supported by the actions of individuals, cultural norms and values, and the institutional structures and practices of society.

Now lets stop here for a minute to discuss. Now I always thought that racism was treating someone different because of their race but the way I read this definition, only whitey can be a racist. I also find it odd that Asians are included in the "racial groups who have relatively little social power" category. The Seattle School District seems to pick and choose when to group Asians with traditional minorities, such as here, and when to not include them in minority groups, such as when they want statistics to show the need for race based quotas because minorities are lagging behind academically. Lets continue:
Cultural Racism:
Those aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype, and label people of color as "other", different, less than, or render them invisible. Examples of these norms include defining white skin tones as nude or flesh colored, having a future time orientation, emphasizing individualism as opposed to a more collective ideology, defining one form of English as standard, and identifying only Whites as great writers or composers.

Read More:

AndrewsDad

Forum List

Back