More Economic Good News....Economy adds 151,000 jobs in october

The news was good today. Not only was it the largest increase in some time, but the past two months saw upward revisions as well.

Oh, for those who think the data is fixed, this news came after the election.

Well lets just say the news is not as bad. Not sure I would call it good.

Kinda like only being bitten by 50 rattlesnakes instead of 51.
Not as bad technically but no noticible difference in effect.

Last edited:
Unemployment never reached the levels of the Reagan and Bush the Greater recessions. And we had the largest financial sector meltdown since the Great Depression.

No, we almost had the greatest financial sector meltdown since the 30's.

It is an article of faith that it would have occurred, but it didn't occur, so it is a myth, not a fact.

Upside surprise: Employers add 151,000 jobs in October - USATODAY.com

Private sector added 159,000 jobs while government shed 8000 jobs

Largest increase in 5 months

Labor Force Participation Rate Drops To 25 Year Low, At 64.5%Submitted by Tyler Durden on 11/05/2010 08:03 -0500

Initial Jobless ClaimsRealityUnemployment

The inverse silver lining to today's jobs report that will be lost in the shuffle of what is perceived as a good NFP (despite consistent initial jobless claims of around 450K, which means that either there is a massive data error, or the rate of job creation has somehow surged) is that labor force participation has now dropped to the lowest rate it has been since 1984, at 64.5%. Assuming a reversion to the long-term average participation rate of 66%, means that the civilian labor force is in reality 157.4 million as opposed to the disclosed 153.9 million, a delta of 3.5 million currently unaccounted for. Maybe someone can ask the president during his imminent press conference what happened to the unemployed population, which would have been 18.3 if this labor force delta was incorporated, resulting in an unemployment rate of 11.6%.

Labor Force Participation Rate Drops To 25 Year Low, At 64.5% | zero hedge

pd1300760-5.jpg

while I agree that is significant the decline in labor force participation is kind of lost in the numerous categories of the unemployment pie. Folks who stopped looking, are discouraged etc fall off the chart.

But none of that actually effects the number of jobs created or lost. Which is what the thread and the underlying news story is about.

Folks falling from the labor force only effects the rate of employment and unemployment, NOT the jobs creation and destruction.

Unemployment never reached the levels of the Reagan and Bush the Greater recessions. And we had the largest financial sector meltdown since the Great Depression.

It is an article of faith that it would have occurred, but it didn't occur, so it is a myth, not a fact.

Yes, but the stimulous bill which did not address the root cause of the financial freeze saved the economy and placed us in a prime position to experience job growth.

Yes, but the stimulous bill which did not address the root cause of the financial freeze saved the economy and placed us in a prime position to experience job growth.

HUH? It was just a temporary weak prop.

It's still not good enough but it's better than shedding them at 800,000 a month like we were doing at the end of the Bush Regime.

Look for the wingnuts to completely ignore this thread.

Bush wasn't responsible for the dramatic decline in employment.

?

Bush wasn't responsible for this recession - or at least primarily responsible - just like Obama isn't responsible. This occurred mainly for reasons outside the political arena.

Outsourcing and the housing construction slump are the main reasons for the current joblessness. And without the outsourced jobs nothing will recover very well. A new curve in US recessions.

Upside surprise: Employers add 151,000 jobs in October - USATODAY.com

Private sector added 159,000 jobs while government shed 8000 jobs

Largest increase in 5 months

Ahh, the Party of NO, Do whatever it takes corporate crowd has decided to take the Trillion they are setting on and move forward. Apparently that big nasty government stepped out of their way..LOL!
The Dems got more donations from Businesses, Labour unions, ideological groups and random others than Repubs this year, so the Dems are the party of the rich and special interest groups this time round.

Business-Labor-Ideology Split in PAC & Individual Donations to Candidates and Parties

Repubs (from Business): $451,148,130, 47%
(from Labor): $3,444,042, 6%
(from ideological): $35,013,170, 38%
(other): $70,427,012, 49%

Dems (from Business): $504,779,700, 52%
(from Labor): $49,710,561, 93%
(from ideological): $56,388,258, 61%
(other): $72,772,511, 50%
Business-Labor-Ideology Split in PAC & Individual Donations to Candidates and Parties | OpenSecrets

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the repubs outspent the dems 2 to 1 this year on the elections?
Is this not correct?

HUH? It was just a temporary weak prop.

That was sarcasm. I agree it was weak, but only because it wasn't designed to address the root cause of the financial crisis.

I guess adding a few hundred thousand jobs...wait correction not a few hundred thousand,one hundred thousand jobs might just get the President another Nobel Prize...

What does adding 150,000 jobs have to do with the president?

It is about America. These jobs represent 150,000 American families. People who are struggling.

Why do you root against the American economy for political purposes?

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the repubs outspent the dems 2 to 1 this year on the elections?
Is this not correct?
Not according to the recorded numbers, roughly 13 million more spent by the Republicans than Democrats overall:

House:

Raised Spent
Dems: $464,939,555, $421,559,821
Repubs: $502,595,920, $419,170,255

Senate:

Raised Spent
Dems: $294,002,310, $288,717,613
Repubs: $355,765,589, $303,570,178

Total:

Raised Spent
Dems: $758,941,865, $710,277,434
Repubs: $858,361,509, $722,740,433

Stats at a Glance | OpenSecrets

Perhaps it was on a certain race? I dunno.
Thanks for the info and helping to keep me straight. Well not a confused anyway ;)

Is this not correct?
Not according to the recorded numbers, roughly 13 million more spent by the Republicans than Democrats overall:

House:

Raised Spent
Dems: $464,939,555, $421,559,821
Repubs: $502,595,920, $419,170,255

Senate:

Raised Spent
Dems: $294,002,310, $288,717,613
Repubs: $355,765,589, $303,570,178

Total:

Raised Spent
Dems: $758,941,865, $710,277,434
Repubs: $858,361,509, $722,740,433

Stats at a Glance | OpenSecrets

But that only adds up to half of what was reportedly spent on campaign ads, not to mention everything else:

$3 billion spent on 2010 election campaigns

Google

Forum List

Back