More Dangerous than Smoking

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A scientific review of 148 previous studies involving more than 300,000 people found that those with adequate social relationships were 50 per cent more likely to be alive after an average follow-up period of nearly eight years, compared to more socially isolated people.

Being socially disconnected -- a loose term usually taken to mean having few good friends or strong family relationships -- was said to be equivalent to smoking 15 cigarettes per day and to heavy drinking -- of six units of alcohol a day -- the scientists involved said.

It was also worse for someone's health than such better-recognised health risks as avoiding exercise, and twice as bad for one's health as being obese.

"Physicians, health professionals, educators and the public media take risk factors such as smoking, diet and exercise seriously. The data presented here make a compelling case for social relationship factors to be added to that list."

Medical professionals should routinely evaluate patients' social networks, and recommend more connections with other people, they said.

Isolation as harmful as smoking 15 a day | The Australian

Can anyone see where that might lead? Mandatory ball room dancing classes for the socially isolated . Taxpayer funded whore houses for the love-lorn. Free vacations to Club Med. :lol:

Not much I would imagine. Married people live longer and most of them are pretty bitter. Lol

Its been my experience that most adults who are friendless, choose to be that way.

Not much I would imagine. Married people live longer and most of them are pretty bitter. Lol

Its been my experience that most adults who are friendless, choose to be that way.

well some people dont have friends becaues 9 times out of 10 they are not true friends.

Actually, the study I read said that married men lived longer, married women don't.

Then again, there are the ones who say they don't live longer, it just feels like it. :D

Forum List

Back