More Coffee = Less Risk of Type II Diabetes

I love when they kick out something that says coffee offers some type of health benefit. It's like a "see, toldja".

Nice, I love coffee too! I pretty much sip it all day long. I heard it lowers sugar levels before. This is the reason why if you follow Atkins diet he tells you not to drink coffee or anything caffeinated, because it will lower your sugar level and you will crave for carbohydrates. Staying away from coffee is even harder than staying away from sugar for me - but I will just take both anyway. I also feel that most docs don't have clue...lol Basically you read something and then you find its exact opposite (sometimes from same source).

Diabetes link to cancer in Asia...
eek.gif

Study: Diabetes Linked to Cancer in Asia
March 07, 2017 - Researchers at New York University's School of Medicine found that diabetes increased the risk of cancer death among Asians by an average of 26 percent, a statistic similar in the West.
Data for the new study drew on an analysis of 770,000 people with Type 2 diabetes throughout East and South Asia. Diabetics were followed for an average of 13 years to see if they developed cancer and what types. During that time more than 37,300 cancer deaths were identified. Yu Chen, an epidemiology professor at the NYU School of Medicine’s Department of Population Health who was the study's lead author, says Asians with Type 2 diabetes are more likely to be diagnosed with rarer cancers than Westerners, including cancers of the liver, thyroid and kidney which was double the risk compared to non-diabetics in Asia.

There was also a 2.7 percent increased risk of cancer of the endometrium and a 1.7 percent higher risk of breast cancer among diabetic Asians compared to those who were not diabetic. The number of cancers of the gallbladder and bile ducts in Asia were comparable to those in the West, according to Chen. Those sites are closer in the body to the pancreas, where insulin is made.

7D08D9F3-088B-41BC-98D9-ECD66BB5C1CD_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A paramedic checks the blood sugar level of a patient at a diabetes clinic in Jakarta, Indonesia​

Chen thinks there may be several mechanisms at work, but data suggests that insulin may in some way stimulate the growth of cancer. “Patients with diabetes that have high levels of insulin, some cancers are very sensitive to insulin, so it may promote the tumor growing,” she said. The findings were published in the journal Diabetologia.

Chen said the study was undertaken because there's been little research on an association between diabetes and cancer in Asia. She said the research suggests Type 2 diabetes should be added to the list of cancer risk factors, along with diet and cigarette smoking. “Cancer prevention needs to take into account for diabetes the lifestyles related to diabetes – [which] may reduce the risk of diabetes and also cancer,” she said. Chen suggested that diabetics should receive more cancer screenings, in addition to medical interventions to reduce the risk of diabetes overall.

Study: Diabetes Linked to Cancer in Asia

See also:

Researchers Develop Blood Test to Pinpoint Location of Cancer
March 07, 2017 - Researchers are developing a blood test that can tell not only whether someone has cancer, but in what organ the tumors are lurking. The test could mean more prompt, potentially life-saving treatment for patients.
Researchers describe their blood test as a kind of dual authentication process. It is able to detect the presence of dying tumor cells in blood as well as tissue signatures, to signal to clinicians which organ is affected by the cancer. There already are tests that screen for traces of DNA released by dying cancer cells. Such blood tests show promise in the treatment of patients to see how well anti-cancer therapies are working. But researchers at the University of California, San Diego discovered a new clue, using organ-specific DNA signatures, that leads them to the particular organ that is affected.

The finding makes the new blood test potentially useful as a screening tool in people suspected of having cancer. UC-San Diego bioengineering professor Kun Zhang is senior author of a paper in Nature Genetics about the experimental test. "So when you try to do these kinds of early screening or early detection [tests], these people are healthy. So if you take a blood draw and then you do a test, and you find some signature of cancer, that is not enough because you do not know what to do next," Zhang said. "And so, in this case, we developed a method where we can say whether there is a cancer growing in the body and if the answer is 'Yes,' we can also say something about where does it grow."

4C0E454C-830B-4009-B07C-715EC5A891B4_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A patient has her blood drawn at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania​

The test screens for a DNA signature called a CpG methylation haplotype, which is unique for each tissue in the body. When a cancer grows in an organ, it competes with healthy tissue for nutrients and space, killing off healthy cells, which release their DNA into the bloodstream. The haplotype signatures, identified by the blood test, could tell doctors what cells are being destroyed, and therefore what organ is being invaded by cancer. Zhang says knowing a tumor's location is especially crucial for early detection and treatment.

Researchers created a database of complete CpG methylation patterns for 10 different normal tissues: the lungs, liver, intestine, colon, brain, pancreas, spleen, stomach, kidney and blood. To put together the genetic marker database, the investigators also analyzed tumor and blood samples of cancer patients. They screened the blood samples of 59 patients with lung or colorectal cancer, comparing those findings to people without cancer. "It could be potentially used as a screening test," Zhang said. "So I think that is the real potential. We need to do a few more rigorous clinical observations before we can get to that point." Zhang envisions eventually using the blood test to look for markers of cancer as part of routine blood work.

Researchers Develop Blood Test to Pinpoint Location of Cancer

Doctors have no clue. They jump on whatever bandwagon is popular this week.
Several years ago I was drinking lots of coffee. At the same time I had terrible back pain, which I lead me to the doctor. I had x-rays, cat scan, MRA, tons of physical therapy and lots of visits to a chiropractor...but none of this helped. Doc prescribed an opiate drug...I told him to fuck off.

Then a friend (not a doctor) came to visit, who mentioned too much coffee can cause kidney pain, which often is confused with back pain. BINGO...limited my coffee intake and pain gone.

Doctors really are useless sometimes.

Sure didn't work for me as I've been a coffeeholic for almost 50 years. But, this article @ Increasing consumption of coffee associated with reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, study finds -- ScienceDaily says different.
Well coffee itself has nothing to do with the pancreas.

But if you load your coffee with sugar, then you ARE making things worse for it.

Less sugar is what you need to do to extend your life and avoid diabetes.
Agreed. High consumption of sugar and grains is likely the cause of a number of diseases.

The best way to not get type 2 diabetes is to eat healthy and exercise, it's not rocket science. It's not the answer many people want to hear, but it's the truth.

Doctors have no clue. They jump on whatever bandwagon is popular this week.
Several years ago I was drinking lots of coffee. At the same time I had terrible back pain, which I lead me to the doctor. I had x-rays, cat scan, MRA, tons of physical therapy and lots of visits to a chiropractor...but none of this helped. Doc prescribed an opiate drug...I told him to fuck off.

Then a friend (not a doctor) came to visit, who mentioned too much coffee can cause kidney pain, which often is confused with back pain. BINGO...limited my coffee intake and pain gone.

Doctors really are useless sometimes.

Yeah, I read that in a book called "Caffeine Blues" a few years back. Honestly, coffee is the devils drink.

Forum List

Back