More Car Jobs Shift to Mexico

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
More Car Jobs Shift to Mexico
U.S. production may decline over the next decade, despite the bailout
By Thomas Black

The Obama Administration spent more than $80 billion last year to prop up General Motors and Chrysler in a controversial effort to save millions of American manufacturing jobs. Both car companies have since stabilized, and business is also looking up at Ford Motor. Yet as they map out their investment plans in the year ahead, the U.S. auto companies will likely put most of their new jobs and plant capacity in Mexico, not the U.S., auto analysts predict.

Chrysler announced in February that it's spending $550 million to retool its factory in Toluca to assemble the subcompact Fiat 500 model. Last month, Ford reopened an assembly plant in Cuautitlán to build Fiesta compacts for the 2011 model year. The factory will generate 2,000 jobs and is part of $3 billion in investments in Mexico announced since 2008. In the U.S., Ford has closed four assembly plants since 2006 and plans to close four more facilities by the end of 2011.
Mexico's gains will come at the expense of workers in the U.S. and Canada, says Dennis DesRosiers, president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Mexico's share of North American auto production will rise to 19 percent over the next decade, from an average of 12 percent from 2000 to 2009, according to DesRosiers. Over the same period the U.S. will lose 7 percentage points, to 65 percent of the market, and Canada's share will hold at 16 percent. "There is going to be more capacity put into North America—and Mexico is going to get more than its fair share," he says.
Cont;
More Car Jobs Shift to Mexico - BusinessWeek

:confused:

Of course. What did you exepct with Arizona running all the cheap labor back to mexico?

why I was against an corporate bailouts.

Beyond that how many foreign controlled banks did we help with tax payer dollars?

Suddenly, the conservatives don't like the free market:cuckoo:

General Motors and Chrysler aren't part of the free market they belong to the government when they took the bailout.

Sangsui, forgot that.

The Government Owned Motors has to appease mexico by sending work there, they are doing this appeasal because of our terrible immigration policies

If we make it too difficult for the illegal aliens to come to America we will simply send our jobs down there to them. Don't you just love it? Millions of Americans out of work and we have the stupidity to send our work out of the country. Just one more reason why you have to "love" this dumb ass Owe Bama administration. Next thing you know, we will be sneaking into Mexico in order to obtain a job.

analyst predict. LOFL
Anyway, I support meanial jobs going to mexico. They need the economic development and will be more ready to hit the ground running when they get here. I say madatory english and math with the outsourced jobs. Contractors here will thank you.

If only Americans would learn to work for less money we'd all be a lot better off.

"Prosperity through lower wages!"

If we make it too difficult for the illegal aliens to come to America we will simply send our jobs down there to them. Don't you just love it? Millions of Americans out of work and we have the stupidity to send our work out of the country. Just one more reason why you have to "love" this dumb ass Owe Bama administration. Next thing you know, we will be sneaking into Mexico in order to obtain a job.

Dracula, you want Obama to stop outsourcing. LOFL thanks man repukeness has reach a new low level

I doubt this will do much to prevent illegal immigration. Per the article, down there GM's workers earn less than $4 an hour in wages and benefits. In their shoes, I'd be climbing the fence too.

Forum List

Back