More Car Buying/Selling Stuff

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have just sold my semi-beloved Pacifica and am in the market for a slightly smaller, much newer, wagon or SUV. I like the look of the new VW Tiguan, and having driven a few of them, I like most everything about them.

So I was taken back a few days ago when I happened on a local VW dealer's website and saw an incredible ad to lease a 2019 Tiguan. (AWD, MSRP about $27k).

$179 per month for 36 months, with $2,000 down. 7,500 miles per year, but that's not important.

For most cars, when you look at a typical three-year lease, the TOTAL OF PAYMENTS (excluding tax) for the three years, you come up with about 50% of the MSRP. That is, add up the 36 payments with the stated down payment, and it's in the neighborhood of one-half the sticker price. THIS AD was for total payments around 37% of the sticker price.

These deals are very rare but they do exist. Sometimes there is a car that is going out of production, or a car that is being re-designed, or an inflated inventory of a particular model. It's rare but it happens.

So I went to the dealership, ad in hand, and said, "Gimme one of these!"

Long story short, they come back with a written quote for $310 per month.

Incredulous, I asked what the fuck is with this? I know that there is a 10% tax on lease payments, but how [the fuck] do you get from $179 a month to $310 a month?

"Taxes and fees and stuff." Among the fees and stuff is a $2,500 "capital cost reduction fee."

In other words, they asked for $2,000 down, but actually needed $4,500 down, so they amortized the other $2,500 into the monthly payment! The exact meaning of the "$179 per month" in the ad was not clear. Certainly it did NOT mean that one could lease the vehicle for one hundred seventy-nine dollars per month.

As we walked out, laughing, my wife asked the salesman how other people react to this scam. He admitted that almost everyone walks out - just like we did.

I felt bad for the guy.

What a scam

How can you go to work every day?

I have just sold my semi-beloved Pacifica and am in the market for a slightly smaller, much newer, wagon or SUV. I like the look of the new VW Tiguan, and having driven a few of them, I like most everything about them.

So I was taken back a few days ago when I happened on a local VW dealer's website and saw an incredible ad to lease a 2019 Tiguan. (AWD, MSRP about $27k).

$179 per month for 36 months, with $2,000 down. 7,500 miles per year, but that's not important.

For most cars, when you look at a typical three-year lease, the TOTAL OF PAYMENTS (excluding tax) for the three years, you come up with about 50% of the MSRP. That is, add up the 36 payments with the stated down payment, and it's in the neighborhood of one-half the sticker price. THIS AD was for total payments around 37% of the sticker price.

These deals are very rare but they do exist. Sometimes there is a car that is going out of production, or a car that is being re-designed, or an inflated inventory of a particular model. It's rare but it happens.

So I went to the dealership, ad in hand, and said, "Gimme one of these!"

Long story short, they come back with a written quote for $310 per month.

Incredulous, I asked what the fuck is with this? I know that there is a 10% tax on lease payments, but how [the fuck] do you get from $179 a month to $310 a month?

"Taxes and fees and stuff." Among the fees and stuff is a $2,500 "capital cost reduction fee."

In other words, they asked for $2,000 down, but actually needed $4,500 down, so they amortized the other $2,500 into the monthly payment! The exact meaning of the "$179 per month" in the ad was not clear. Certainly it did NOT mean that one could lease the vehicle for one hundred seventy-nine dollars per month.

As we walked out, laughing, my wife asked the salesman how other people react to this scam. He admitted that almost everyone walks out - just like we did.

I felt bad for the guy.
/----/ Many car dealerships are a bunch of lying thieving weasels desperate to close a sale at any cost. Sadly enough fall for this ripoff so they keep doing it. Glad you walked out. Now go to Hertz used car lot and get a better deal on a used VW. From $14,000 Used Cars in Rockville Centre | Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota & More

Actually, I just purchased a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (6-Speed). I love it. Not quite as much space as the Tiguan, but $10,000 cheaper.

TDI warranty is ridiculous. If it ever fails an emissions test in the first 162,000 miles, VW will fix it for free.

Now....- are any of you married to...women?

After an extensive search I had narrowed my choices down to a BEAUTIFUL and fully loaded Dodge Journey GT, and this VW Golf Sportwagen. The Wife disagreed with my choice, but said, "You're gonna being driving it 98% of the time, so buy what you want." Ahem.

Well...we are getting ready to drive 1500 miles down to Florida for a two-week stay, and we don't want to take the wife's Beemer because it is under warranty and we don't want to use the miles. There is no doubt that IF THIS TRIP were the primary consideration in buying "my" car, the Journey would have been the best choice. It's bigger, safer, more comfortable, has more "stuff" and, frankly, although I don't love the look of Journey's, this was the nicest looking Journey I've ever seen. white with the "blacktop" package - black wheels, trim, etc.

But the purchase was not for THIS TRIP, it was for the next 4-5 years of MY driving, and on that basis it wasn't even close. The stick-shift Diesel is a blast to drive, the handling is excellent, the economy is off the charts (even with the 25% penalty for Diesel fuel). I fear I am going to hear complaints all the way down to Florida and back about how the Journey would have been a better choice.

And no doubt, it looked like a great car...I just like the idea of DRIVING this one, day after day, for the next several years.

After an extensive search I had narrowed my choices down to a BEAUTIFUL and fully loaded Dodge Journey GT, and this VW Golf Sportwagen. The Wife disagreed with my choice, but said, "You're gonna being driving it 98% of the time, so buy what you want." Ahem.

Well...we are getting ready to drive 1500 miles down to Florida for a two-week stay, and we don't want to take the wife's Beemer because it is under warranty and we don't want to use the miles. There is no doubt that IF THIS TRIP were the primary consideration in buying "my" car, the Journey would have been the best choice. It's bigger, safer, more comfortable, has more "stuff" and, frankly, although I don't love the look of Journey's, this was the nicest looking Journey I've ever seen. white with the "blacktop" package - black wheels, trim, etc.

But the purchase was not for THIS TRIP, it was for the next 4-5 years of MY driving, and on that basis it wasn't even close. The stick-shift Diesel is a blast to drive, the handling is excellent, the economy is off the charts (even with the 25% penalty for Diesel fuel). I fear I am going to hear complaints all the way down to Florida and back about how the Journey would have been a better choice.

And no doubt, it looked like a great car...I just like the idea of DRIVING this one, day after day, for the next several years.
/——/ A real man would buy whatever he wants. Talk about pusay whipped,

That is what I told my wife when I bought my Prius

That is what I told my wife when I bought my Prius
/——/ If that’s what you wanted. My brother bought a used Prius 4 years ago with 40k miles. Still going strong

Forum List

Back