More Cabinet Agencies to Cure Bureaucracy!

tpahl

Jun 7, 2004
Cascadia
I was amazed when I heard bush was proposing a new director of intelligence. I was immediately reminded of when he created the dept of homeland security. You see I naively thought that our military, NSA, FBI, and CIA were all working to defend the country. I was wrong. We needed a dept of homeland defense. Appearantly I was not the only one to see the connection with this weeks news from the Bush Administration...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/eddlem5.html

I also like how he brings up alot of the 1984esque naming we have going on now with our federal government.

Interestingly, the Department of Defense was originally called the "Department of War." But Congress changed that to the Department of Defense in 1947, because the Department of War was considered too warlike a title. Back when we had a Department of War, the United States only rarely fought wars – and Congress always gave the nation against whom we were fighting the courtesy of a declaration of war. Now we fight wars all the time using the Department of Defense, but we never declare them wars. That would sound too warlike, especially now, under times like now when President Bush says we are "at war." This explains why Congress did not declare war against Iraq and Afghanistan. Or does it? I’m not sure on that point, either.

Forum List

Back