More Bush Bashing

You're wrong. it's not a partisan thing with me. If a dem was the first president to lose a city (and one of my favorite cities, I might add), I'd be all over him too. I don't suspect though that you'd be defending a dem administration.

Partisanship aside, a better job was done responding to the Tsunami than to our own people. By the way, the disaster was declared by Saturday the 27th..

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/politics/blanco.asp

The job of FEMA is to respond in an emergency. Brownie was ill-equipped for the job and the president doing a fly by three days later and saying "you did a hell of a job brownie" was incomprehensible. He was over his head; not a scapegoat.

Like I said, they couldn't even get ice to these people. But no matters, the company that couldn't get ice to N.O. was given Walter Reed to run. I'm sure you saw what a good job they did there, as well.

Present ALL the facts please.

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans at 6:10 AM, 29 August 2005. Apparently, and I was unaware of this, Bush curcumvented the law and declared a National Disaster sometime Saturday. That would equate the way I learned to tell time in 1st grade with 1+ days prior to Katrina making landfall.

And obviously Blanco NEVER DID request Federal assistance.

Yeah, they couldn't get ice to them. I guess you have never been through a hurricane? You don't get shit for days. Period. Blame it on who you want. When you live in Hurricane Alley YOU make sure you have enough shit to make do, and ice is NOT necessary for survival. Water and food are. Tough cookies there's no ice for the tea.:rolleyes:

GunnyL said:
Yeah, they couldn't get ice to them. I guess you have never been through a hurricane? You don't get shit for days. Period. Blame it on who you want. When you live in Hurricane Alley YOU make sure you have enough shit to make do, and ice is NOT necessary for survival. Water and food are. Tough cookies there's no ice for the tea
Right. That's what preparing for Emergencies is all about. It's an individual responsibility. Tough one for liberals to comprehend, I know. Everybody should be ready for emergencies....Bush and Big Brother will NOT always be there for you with ice, or water, or food, or whatever.

Are you ready people?
http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html

It boggles my mind how few people understand the role of the State and local Government in a disaster Blanco and Nuegin blew it and Liberals STILL give them a pass.

They ALL FUCKED UP!. Stop trying to polarize this situation. Local, State, AND Federal Gov. fucked up. The Feds fucked up because they trusted the state too much. The State fucked up cause they trusted the Local too much. And the Local fucked up cause they were just as stupid as the others. Everyone deserves responsibility for costing us American lives when their deaths could have been avoided.

Does anybody else get tired of ppl who think the government is supposed to prevent and fix all disasters, and have a magic pill for every tragedy?

They ALL FUCKED UP!. Stop trying to polarize this situation. Local, State, AND Federal Gov. fucked up. The Feds fucked up because they trusted the state too much. The State fucked up cause they trusted the Local too much. And the Local fucked up cause they were just as stupid as the others. Everyone deserves responsibility for costing us American lives when their deaths could have been avoided.

I don't see you quoting your liberal buddies and telling them this. I wonder why that is?

Present ALL the facts please.

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans at 6:10 AM, 29 August 2005. Apparently, and I was unaware of this, Bush curcumvented the law and declared a National Disaster sometime Saturday. That would equate the way I learned to tell time in 1st grade with 1+ days prior to Katrina making landfall.

And obviously Blanco NEVER DID request Federal assistance.

Yeah, they couldn't get ice to them. I guess you have never been through a hurricane? You don't get shit for days. Period. Blame it on who you want. When you live in Hurricane Alley YOU make sure you have enough shit to make do, and ice is NOT necessary for survival. Water and food are. Tough cookies there's no ice for the tea.:rolleyes:

Did you read the link or did you just ignore it? The GOVERNOR asked for a national disaster to be declaqred on saturday.

Ice wasn't for tea... do you remember how hot it was?

Did you read the link or did you just ignore it? The GOVERNOR asked for a national disaster to be declaqred on saturday.

Ice wasn't for tea... do you remember how hot it was?

Once again FEMA prepositioned as required. The problem was the City and the State took no effective measures to move people, provide material, food and water or security for those they did not move.

Rather then whine about it, check out the actual time lines of support arriving, actions taken, clearling passage to the city. Then compare them to previous disasters. What you will find is given the scope of the damage the Government preformed very well. The only real failures were with the city not moving people, not informing FEMA of all locations, not preparing shelters properly and not the State for not providing Security. The Governor placed all the national Guard around herself and NONE in New Orleans.

Now if you are going to argue that the Guard would not have been safe in New Orleans, why then would the regular Army or FEMA been safe there?

The GOVERNOR asked for a national disaster to be declaqred on saturday.
----------------------------------http://tinyurl.com/cv7au

Friday 8/26
Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco declared a state of emergency for the state of Louisiana.
Following the declaration of a state of emergency, federal troops were deployed to Louisiana to coordinate the planning of operations with FEMA.
(fast enough for ya)

Sat. 8/27
At 5:00 PM EDT, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin announced a state of emergency and a called for a voluntary evacuation.
( a cat 5 storm is imminent and this fool calls for a "voluntary" evacuation.)

Governor Blanco sends a letter to President George W. Bush asking him to declare a major disaster for the State of Louisiana, in order to release federal assistance.[8]

In response to Governor Blanco's request, President Bush declared a federal state of emergency in Louisiana under the authority of the Stafford Act, which provided a, "means of assistance by the Federal Government to State and local governments in carrying out their responsibilities to alleviate the suffering and damage which result from such disasters,..."

Sunday 8/28

In a press conference at roughly 10:00 AM CDT (1500 UTC), Nagin declared that "a mandatory evacuation order is hereby called for all of the parish of Orleans.
(better late than never? trouble is, its all words and no real actions to initiate an evacuation)

Monday 8/29 (STORM HITS N.O.)

Governor Blanco ordered 68 school buses into New Orleans from surrounding parishes to begin evacuating any survivors that remained in the city.
(too little ... too late)

Brown sought the approval from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff five hours after landfall to dispatch 1,000 Homeland Security workers into the region. Brown acknowledged that this process would take two days.

Tuesday 8/30

Governor Blanco ordered that all of New Orleans, including the Superdome, be evacuated due to the flooding of the city. She commandeered hundreds of buses from across Louisiana using her executive powers, and those buses eventually evacuated more than 15,000 people that were stranded in the city by Thursday, September 1.[24]There were also many instances of reported of looting, including looting by police officers.[25] Governor Blanco also said that she will request President Bush send federal troops to help restore law and order in New Orleans.
(finally)

Wednesday 8/31

National Guardsmen on duty in the Gulf Coast rose to approximately 8,300. They remained under their respective governor's control, which enables them to provide law-enforcement support in the affected regions, which is prohibited by the Posse Comitatus Act.

But I don't think lawyers are really interested in facts....perception is more important....:cuckoo:

You left out that the people fucked up because they trusted ANYONE else to watch their asses. That would be the entire difference in this argument. It isn't the facts. By and large, they're the same. Only I can't quite figure out why this is the second time Jillian has postes a snopes link that backs up MY argument.:lol:

The difference is political idealism. Liberals blame the Federal government and conservatives blame the state and local government. The left likes to claim we're just giving bush a pass, and that's simply not true.

Long before there was Bush, I believe in small government, and government at the lowest level. One of you libs might want to tell me what Bush has to do with THAT.:rolleyes:

Those idiots in Washington don't know what we need. The US government is infamous for picking up the pieces. Pearl Harbor ring a bell? That took us over a year to respond to.

The bonehead mayor down the street and the Governor 90 miles away in Austin -- who is one Republican that will NEVER get my vote again -- breathe same air I do, and face the same shit I do. Well, except that piece of shit Rick Perry, anyway.

Liberals want to blame the government because that's the cradle to grave mindset. Big Brother can't be close enough to listen to my phone calls but he damned well better be there to wipe my ass.

No thanks. You can have your reliance on someone-or-thing else to take care of your ass. I'll take care of mine. If a Cat V hurricane comes barrelling through the Gulf on a straight line for San Antonio, you can reach me in San Angelo.

Gunny, I didn't read your last post but Blanco followed proper procedure. She asked Bush to declare a national emergency a day before the hurricane hit and he did. This is SOP. A national emergency is declared because the magnitude of the disaster is too big for the state to handle on it's own. By Bush declaring a national emergency he was agreeing to have federal agencies stand by to provide emergency rescue operations immediately after the storm hit. The federal government dropped the ball by not living up to what they promised to do. You are free to disagree that the Feds shouldn't have this responsibility on another thread. They made it their business to have this responsibility and they didn't follow through.

98% of the city of New Orleans was evacuated before the hurricane. This is a record setting number of people to be evacuated from a city in the path of a hurricane. Nagin might be an idiot to you, but he actually accomplished something no one else had ever done.

When you lived in Miami I doubt you ever saw much action on the hurricane front aside from nailing up some plywood or putting masking tape on windows. There were no major hurricanes during your time in Miami. Hurricane Andrew was a disaster for us and the federal response was slow then as well. It hurt Poppa Bush and contributed to him losing his reelection bid. Subsequent hurricanes have seen many panic stricken people trying to evacuate only to be told by then Gov. Jeb Bush to stay home. Evacuations sometimes cause more problems than they solve and there is no such thing as a "mandatory" evacuation so holding state officials accountable for 2% of the populations refusal to leave is pretty damn lame.

What area were you in? Cutler Ridge, Homestead, Perrine? Those were our hardest hit areas. And we had looting, too. White guys, though, not black so I guess it didn't look so scary on tv.

Oh, and Gunny, by the time the hurricane got to NO it was a Cat 2, maybe 3, which would have been a pretty minor storm except for the failure of the levees. And who is responsible for the upkeep of the levees? That's right, the Federal government.

Forum List

Back