More anti science liberals... Environmentalists: Power from massive Canadian dams isn’t renewable

I’m not sure large scale hydro-electric dams in Labrador are the answer at all. They’re very destructive environmentally, both in terms of building the infrastructure, and flooding the land above the dam to build up water pressure for the turbines. And then there’s the issues around the transmission lines from such a remote area.

Cancer rates for people living near these big hydro lines are high. We looked at a house which back onto a hydro transmission corridor in Toronto years ago and just standing in the back yard 50 feet from the power lines my body was vibrating from the energy those lines were throwing off. I was feeling nauseous within minutes. The agent said this was affecting potential sales of the property. No doubt.

Thousands of miles of these corridors are needed to get that power from the dam to the US, which, as the article stated, involves the destruction of 43 wetlands between Labrador and the US.

So while production of the hydro doesn’t create carbon emissions per de, the infrastructure such production requires is so environmentally damaging as to negate the benefits of low carbon emissions.

Power Lines - Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Safety from Safe Space Protection

Ya know I heard that before, even people just living under high voltage wires saying cancer was higher but is their any scientific proof of it or just a myth, how does high voltage lines cause cancer???

Studies have confirmed the higher rates of cancer and they’re quoted in the link I posted.

The electro-magnetic field around these transmission lines is said to disrupt cell growth. Several studies from different countries have found similar correlations.

The US government commissioned a study which was completed in 2006 but they never published the results. One can’t help but wonder why not. If the study found no correlation, you’d think they’d be shouting it from the rooftops.

Your link is from a company that sells supposed "protection" from non-ionizing EMF's. forgive me if I don't bend over backwards to believe them.

This link is from a government website and they are far more ambivalent over the whole thing.

Electromagnetic Fields and Cancer

I would be far more suspicious of their claims too if I hadn’t experienced the effect of the EMF myself. Within 5 minutes of my arrival at that property, I was so sick I had to leave. My husband had to pull the car over so I could vomit on the way home.

This was 35 years ago before I had any idea that there were issues with living next to tower lines. This wasn’t my having an “expected reaction”, to something I’d been told previously, because I had no idea.

I will also add, neither my husband nor the realtor had the same reaction. Both felt the same vibrating sensation from the EMF, but neither of them became ill or had to leave.

We ride power line trails all the time and I've never seen anyone get sick from it nor has anyone said anything about feeling vibration.
Maybe you ate some bad egg salad or something?

I’m not sure large scale hydro-electric dams in Labrador are the answer at all. They’re very destructive environmentally, both in terms of building the infrastructure, and flooding the land above the dam to build up water pressure for the turbines. And then there’s the issues around the transmission lines from such a remote area.

Cancer rates for people living near these big hydro lines are high. We looked at a house which back onto a hydro transmission corridor in Toronto years ago and just standing in the back yard 50 feet from the power lines my body was vibrating from the energy those lines were throwing off. I was feeling nauseous within minutes. The agent said this was affecting potential sales of the property. No doubt.

Thousands of miles of these corridors are needed to get that power from the dam to the US, which, as the article stated, involves the destruction of 43 wetlands between Labrador and the US.

So while production of the hydro doesn’t create carbon emissions per de, the infrastructure such production requires is so environmentally damaging as to negate the benefits of low carbon emissions.

Ya know I heard that before, even people just living under high voltage wires saying cancer was higher but is their any scientific proof of it or just a myth, how does high voltage lines cause cancer???

Studies have confirmed the higher rates of cancer and they’re quoted in the link I posted.

The electro-magnetic field around these transmission lines is said to disrupt cell growth. Several studies from different countries have found similar correlations.

The US government commissioned a study which was completed in 2006 but they never published the results. One can’t help but wonder why not. If the study found no correlation, you’d think they’d be shouting it from the rooftops.

Your link is from a company that sells supposed "protection" from non-ionizing EMF's. forgive me if I don't bend over backwards to believe them.

This link is from a government website and they are far more ambivalent over the whole thing.

I would be far more suspicious of their claims too if I hadn’t experienced the effect of the EMF myself. Within 5 minutes of my arrival at that property, I was so sick I had to leave. My husband had to pull the car over so I could vomit on the way home.

This was 35 years ago before I had any idea that there were issues with living next to tower lines. This wasn’t my having an “expected reaction”, to something I’d been told previously, because I had no idea.

I will also add, neither my husband nor the realtor had the same reaction. Both felt the same vibrating sensation from the EMF, but neither of them became ill or had to leave.

You vomited on the way home?
But you just said the symptoms went away when you left the vicinity of the towers?

I read your link...where is the cancer?

I delt with low voltage and high voltage / high amps my entire life and never had any of these symptoms.. got my ass shocked once but it was only 240volts around 60 amps (knocked me on my ass)

From your link

Health Risks and Power Lines.
According to research and publications put out by the World Health Organization (WHO), EMF such as those from power lines, can cause:

• Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Anxiety
  • Insomnia
  • Prickling and/or burning skin
  • Rashes
  • Muscle pain

I got a major zapp when the wife and I moved into our first rent house.
I was pushing the dryer into place and when it made contact with the gas connection it shocked the living shit out of me!!!
Apparently the electric outlet was wired improperly.

It wasn't grounded, if you put a volt meter across probably was 50 volts or so, it happened to me a few times on industrial machines when you touched two equipment not even wired together.

And just when you think the AGW cult couldn't get any stupider and more spin/ propaganda .

Environmentalists: Power from massive Canadian dams isn't renewable - VTDigger

Environmental activists from New England and Canada are demanding that political leaders stop promoting “false” solutions to climate change.

The Vermont Sierra Club, 350Vermont and other environmental groups are protesting a New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers [conference] this week. They oppose new fossil fuel infrastructure and say electricity from large hydro dams or biomass plants should not count as renewable energy.
Energy is a major focus of the conference, which will take place at Stowe Mountain Resort, Sunday through Tuesday. The environmental coalition kicked off events with an energy and climate forum at the Waterbury Congregational church Sunday evening. Twenty people attended.

Panelists said that neither large scale hydropower nor biomass should be considered “carbon neutral” forms of electricity production.

Labrador activists Roberta Benefiel and Tracey Doherty described in a video the devastating effects of the Muskrat Falls dam on the 532 mile Grand River and the Innu, Inuit, and Metis peoples who depend on that river for their livelihoods. The $12.7 billion dam will contaminate fish with methylmercuryand poison those who fish the river, they said.

Doherty said that the project violates the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples because it ignores concerns voiced by members of the indigenous communities near the dam. “We’ve been oppressed people for centuries now,” she said. “It can’t only be the business voice in our community that is heard — it has to be all the people.”

Vermont gets about 30 percent of its power from Hydro Quebec, which generates electricity from a massive dam near St. James Bay. The company is planning another large scale hydro project on the Romaine River, north of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

I get very uneasy when someone quotes a United Nations source. The UN goal is world control and not what they were formed to do, and they have done it poorly. You can not name any war, or conflict that the UN posted troops in any number, the troops posted were from the U.S.A and anyone who can show me when we have not post the majority is a nut job.
gun sheethead.jpeg

But you just said the symptoms went away when you left the vicinity of the towers?

I didn’t say the symptoms went away, I said they abated. That means lessened. The vibration from the EMF stopped when I left the field, but the nausea remained. I left the property because I was so ill, and we hadn’t gone far when I threw up. I didn’t even go inside to look at the house. No point.

I currently live in windwill country. Hundreds of them everywhere you go. Some people claim they make them sick and they say they’re noisy. One of our family friends has one in the field next door to her farm, at the minimum legal distance from her house.

I hear nothing while I’m there, nor does the windmill make me ill.

Call me a skeptic on the windmills make you sick claim, but because of my own experiences, I’m reluctant to completely dismiss the notion.

I didn’t say the symptoms went away, I said they abated. That means lessened. The vibration from the EMF stopped when I left the field, but the nausea remained. I left the property because I was so ill, and we hadn’t gone far when I threw up. I didn’t even go inside to look at the house. No point.

I currently live in windwill country. Hundreds of them everywhere you go. Some people claim they make them sick and they say they’re noisy. One of our family friends has one in the field next door to her farm, at the minimum legal distance from her house.

I hear nothing while I’m there, nor does the windmill make me ill.

Call me a skeptic on the windmills make you sick claim, but because of my own experiences, I’m reluctant to completely dismiss the notion.

Fair enough.

And just when you think the AGW cult couldn't get any stupider and more spin/ propaganda .

Environmental activists from New England and Canada are demanding that political leaders stop promoting “false” solutions to climate change.

The Vermont Sierra Club, 350Vermont and other environmental groups are protesting a New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers [conference] this week. They oppose new fossil fuel infrastructure and say electricity from large hydro dams or biomass plants should not count as renewable energy.
Energy is a major focus of the conference, which will take place at Stowe Mountain Resort, Sunday through Tuesday. The environmental coalition kicked off events with an energy and climate forum at the Waterbury Congregational church Sunday evening. Twenty people attended.

Panelists said that neither large scale hydropower nor biomass should be considered “carbon neutral” forms of electricity production.

Labrador activists Roberta Benefiel and Tracey Doherty described in a video the devastating effects of the Muskrat Falls dam on the 532 mile Grand River and the Innu, Inuit, and Metis peoples who depend on that river for their livelihoods. The $12.7 billion dam will contaminate fish with methylmercuryand poison those who fish the river, they said.

Doherty said that the project violates the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples because it ignores concerns voiced by members of the indigenous communities near the dam. “We’ve been oppressed people for centuries now,” she said. “It can’t only be the business voice in our community that is heard — it has to be all the people.”

Vermont gets about 30 percent of its power from Hydro Quebec, which generates electricity from a massive dam near St. James Bay. The company is planning another large scale hydro project on the Romaine River, north of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Well I know big dams can be destructive in a way but I'm.pretty sure they are still "renewable energy" even so.

Never heard that dams release Mercury either.

Well I know big dams can be destructive in a way but I'm.pretty sure they are still "renewable energy" even so.

Never heard that dams release Mercury either.

I found that claim odd as well. My first thought was “Why wouldn’t they eliminate the mercury when they built the dam?”.

This doesn’t eliminate the environmental damage in the construction of the dam or the transmission towers, but it would mean the indigineous peoples could still eat the fish.

Last edited:

50 feet from a 230 kV power line the magnetic field strength is less than 25 milli Gauss. There are hair driers and vacuum cleaners that are in the same range. The only reason why they don`t make you sick is because you haven't integrated them into your mythology yet. You say that power line made your body vibrate, so it must have been ac and could not have been a 500 kV line, because in Canada these are dc. If 25 mG or less is making your body "vibrate" then your body must have the kind of magnetic properties that would turn you into a rail gun projectile if you have a MRI scan at your next medical checkup

Forum List

Back