More Americans moving towards liberty?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BOBO, Apr 27, 2012.

1. BOBO

BOBO The Magnificent!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I don't believe in legal marriage by making government the 3rd party in a personal marriage between a couple, but still, the link below...

Americans Moving in a Libertarian Direction: More Back Gun Rights, Gay Marriage | Libertarian Party

...illustrates that that the American constituencies mindset of...

"let's get government involved in all aspects of society"

...is FINALLY changing direction. I'd have to attribute this change in attitude to the under 30 age group among the constituency at least for the most part, as they seem much more self sufficient than the antiquated welfare mentality baby boomer generation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,956
    I don't get the part on gay marriage. How is more government involvement in marriage people moving away from government involvement in our lives?

3. BOBO

BOBO The Magnificent!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    KAZ. It's not about getting more g'ment involved in peoples marriages. It's about getting g'ment out of private marriage altogether. Many states prohibit same sex marriage. By removing "legal" out of marriage anyone over 18 can marry anyone else over 18 with a ceremony of their choosing, if desired, anywhere in the USA.

Original Intent Treatise - Common Law Marriage

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    That has never been the Mind Set of the Average Person. It's Always been an Idea of the Left, Which contrary to what it may seem, Is only a small % of the American People.

Problem is they Wield a very un-Proportionally Large amount of Influence over our Media, and Government. So I can understand why one might mistakenly think that most Americans lately have been wanting Government involved in everything, Because the Liberal Media, Hollywood, and the Democrats have been selling that Idea for Generations.

Like the Snake Oil Salesmen of old.

5. kaz

kaz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,956
    By having government marry more people how exactly does that get government less involved in marriage? BTW, I'm libertarian and I oppose government marriage. I'm not seeing how expanding it does that.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,861
    Granny says Obama done gone an' opened up a whole can o' worms...
    :eek:
    Gay Marriage Moves Closer To Supreme Court
    WASHINGTON | Fri May 11, 2012 : (Reuters) - Two big cases addressing marriage rights for gays and lesbians are on track to reach the U.S. Supreme Court as soon as this year, keeping the focus on an issue President Barack Obama reignited with his endorsement this week.

7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,883
    Republicans won't be happy until America "undiscovers" fire.

8. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The reason Conservatives are losing on nearly every issue is because they let dishonest Liberals frame the debates. Involving the government in someone's personal relationship has nothing to do with liberty. Banning people from choosing not to contribute to the homosexual lifestyle and prohibiting people from refusing to take part in inf homosexual-related acts is a direct violation of liberty - this is what the homosexual marriage movement is really about.

Americans are not moving toward liberty. We are moving toward tyranny.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Me too! I would think the Libertarian Party would say that marriage of whatever stripe, falls within the purview of the states.

10. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    A libertarian ideologue would say that marriage isn't the government's business. Failing that, they wold stand up for state's rights and the rights on individuals to not be coerced to support the marriages of others, especially in the face of deeply held beliefs.

The Libertarian Party isn't libertarian. It's is a collection of liberals who invoke "liberty" to promote that which the two big parties have traditionally refused to promote, which until recently included same-sex marriage. Also, legalization of prostitution, recreational drugs, and no limits on immigration.

Real freedom is off of the Libertarian Party's radar. You don't hear them pounding the table about about tax cuts or axing the department of education (i.e. smaller government). You don't hear them defending the individual's rights of "discrimination" (which is the freedom of speech and association in the First Amendment).

The Libertarian Party's pro-government position on same-sex marriage is the complete opposite of libertarianism.