Russian.
Why can't you answer a simple question?
Or is it not that simple?

Which word don't you understand?
---
I asked you to complete the following sentence:

I define normative "morality" as ...

Why do you put morality in quotation marks?

You cannot escape the fact that morality is not equal to ethics.
Morality requires a superhuman or super humanistic basis whilst ethics varies depending on profession or a very human influence.
For instance, Legal Ethics are disgusting.

What is your first language?
---
Russian.

---

Morality requires a superhuman or super humanistic basis whilst ethics varies depending on profession or a very human influence.

Morality is personal, ethics are social.

Apply the Golden Rule:
  • Would you want to be granted asylum if you fled a country in turmoil?
  • Is it ethical for a nation to deny entry to persons fleeing a country in turmoil?

• Thanks
Reactions: PK1

Morality is, by definition, universal rather than personal.

No

By definition.
---
What definition?
You refused to provide a definition of "morality".
Once you do that, if you can, then please expand that to "normative morality". Or, do you agree with the defs provided by Wry Catcher (for normative ethics)?

I assume you learned a little about Ontology in your philosophy classes, right?

---
Russian.

---

Apply the Golden Rule:
  • Is it ethical for a nation to deny entry to persons fleeing a country in turmoil?
---
An interesting distinction, which is valuable.
Both reflect natural human "rights", which are both relative (from human cultural perspectives) & ought to be "universal" within humanity (among h.sapiens).

Then, beyond that, we ought to defend animal "rights".

Last edited:

Where do you find morality so defined?

That's what the word means. That is the norm, standard, meaning of the word. The point is that moral relativism isn't moral at all (nor is it logical).
---
You still have not defined what "moral" is to you.
Is it an overt behavior?
A concept representing something real?
A fantasy in your own mind unrelated to reality?
A tautology?

That's what the word means. That is the norm, standard, meaning of the word. The point is that moral relativism isn't moral at all (nor is it logical).
---

It's not a matter of "to me" or "to you." The word means something, and that something seems to make you very uncomfortable.

What moral relativists really mean to say is that they don't believe morality exists at all, because that is what their fallacy amounts to.

---

Apply the Golden Rule:
---
An interesting distinction, which is valuable.
Both reflect natural human "rights", which are both relative (from human cultural perspectives) & ought to be "universal" within humanity (among h.sapiens).

Then, beyond that, we ought to defend animal "rights".

Passing thought: The moral equivalence posted by some when the killing of Cecil the Lion for a trophy hit these pages.

What moral relativists really mean to say is that they don't believe morality exists at all, because that is what their fallacy amounts to.

Then post what you hold to be the moral authority. I pretty much hold to the golden rule, with the caveat, I won't be taken advantage of and I will never turn the other cheek. I believe in a hard, fast counter punch as morally correct and much more effective in creating change.

A sign of leadership, once & no more, in the Republican Party (speak softly and carry a big stick).

---

It's not a matter of "to me" or "to you." The word means something, and that something seems to make you very uncomfortable.
---
The word means "something"?

Let us know what that is, when you figure it out for yourself.

In the meantime, I believe morality reflects a sense of "live & let live" together with a sense of "fairness", which the Golden Rule alludes to.

And it should include our respect for and relations with other animal species too, within practical considerations, exclusive of gluttony & greed.

And respecting our planet Earth too.

I understand morality a few different ways. There is that collective subjective morality which refers to a group's collective subjective perspective of "good" and "evil" or "right" and "wrong", which people often attempt to define as objective, especially when the group comprises of all humanity, or has to do with religion.

Then there is that individual subjective morality which refers to an individual's subjective perspective of "good" and "evil" or "right" and "wrong", whether or not they believe in such things, and regardless of to what extent that perspective has been influenced by collective group thought.

For me personally... terms like "good" and "evil" are often extremely reductive... those words tend to make everything white and black and tend to simplify your Weltanschauung, and imposes drastic limits on how much you can potentially understand about human Nature.

I believe morality reflects a sense of "live & let live"...

That is not what the word means.

What behavior defines a moral act, an immoral act and an amoral act?

If there exists a test, one able to determine if a law is moral (or ethical) or Immoral or amoral what source guides us? A priest (hardly), a legislator (not likely), our Mom (maybe), a philosopher or our conscience?

• Thanks
Reactions: PK1

New Topics

Forum List

Back