Moral Dilemma

R

rdean

I was driving out of my subdivision, and saw a huge hawk flying 10 feet over my car carrying a housecat. The next day, I saw all sorts of “lost cat” signs up on the street posts, creating a moral dilemma for me: do I let the family think their cat found a better deal and just walked off, or do I go to their front door and tell them the good news/bad news angle?

Good news – I know where your cat went
Bad news – How do you feel about in-flight dining?

Animal Stories: Justifying LIMS is a vicious and cruel task

There's no dilemma here. There is public service -- the owners probably aren't aware that hawks can and will scoop up cats. They need to know this, perchance to next time save their next cat from such a fate.

NOT telling them what you know extends their grief and wastes their time in looking for their cat. Educate them.

I was driving out of my subdivision, and saw a huge hawk flying 10 feet over my car carrying a housecat. The next day, I saw all sorts of “lost cat” signs up on the street posts, creating a moral dilemma for me: do I let the family think their cat found a better deal and just walked off, or do I go to their front door and tell them the good news/bad news angle?

Tell them it was God's Will. Then begin to tell them what you saw.

Then ask them to pray with you.

They'll be so relieved when you leave, they'll forget about the cat.

I would tell them that you saw a hawk flying away with a cat but that you aren't sure if it was theirs.

The truth is always best, even if it sucks at first.

I think I now want a hawk...

I think that you should go on a manly quest to find that hawk, kill it with your bear hands, and bring back the carcass of the cat to your neighbors.

It would be like Lord of the Rings or something like that.

at this point, wouldn't he be taking them some hawk poop?

A couple years ago, there were rabbits all over my area. Then one day a hawk started hunting our area. Within a couple of months, no more rabbits.

Now there are cats all over the place. Where is that hawk when you need it?

Don't say anything.

When I was a young adult, this one family wrote to the editor begging for information about a lost dog.

I wrote to them and told them someone had stolen my dog off a CHAIN. I attributed it to wandering bands of ppl who steal animals to sell to research labs.

I think I was right, and I really meant well when I did it, but I've felt like it was the wrong thing to do and have felt like shit ever since. It's been about 22 years now. Still feel I should have just kept my stupid mouth shut.

Dogs also pull cats apart. Probably not the best idea to write to ppl advertising for "fluffy" to tell them you'd just seen their beloved pet pulled in two. Or carried off by a big bird to be eaten piecemeal.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxmN6kVevxk[/ame]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I do not like this, not one little bit! That poor cat. :(

As someone whose cat got out and disappeared when the cat was 12 and was never found, tell the owners. At least they'll know their pet is dead and will stop 'waiting' for him to come home.

Have you ever seen the tv show, "Whose Line Is It"? Go to your neighbor's house and without saying a word, act out the scene where the hawk flys down and scoops up the cat and flys away with it for a meal. If they are smart enough to know what you are trying to tell them they will be smart enough to know that a hawk grabbed their cat. I suspect that at first they will think you're weird but if you don't say a word, they will eventually figure it out and be grateful that you didn't actually tell them some bad news but was thoughtful enough to break it to them gently.

I think that you should go on a manly quest to find that hawk, kill it with your bear hands, and bring back the carcass of the cat to your neighbors.

It would be like Lord of the Rings or something like that.

Yeah, but what if that Hawk is endangered?

The Hawk is just acting on behalf of all the poor little birdies that are victimized by cruel cats the world over. Segue to Gunny's sheep, dogs & sheepdogs or whatever thread.

Don't say anything.

When I was a young adult, this one family wrote to the editor begging for information about a lost dog.

I wrote to them and told them someone had stolen my dog off a CHAIN. I attributed it to wandering bands of ppl who steal animals to sell to research labs.
There's a difference between false attribution, speculation, and actually seeing the cat hauled off by a hawk.

The family, (not in earshot of any kids) needs to know what happened.

You know the cat? Then how do you know it was their cat being hauled off?

I say silence is golden.

Eagles are also golden, and if it was full grown cat, it was either a redtail, which has trouble with a 1-lb chicken, or a friggen eagle.

Who needs to know their cat was dismembered by fowl? Why not let them think the cat was adopted by loving strangers?

You know the cat? Then how do you know it was their cat being hauled off?

I say silence is golden.

Eagles are also golden, and if it was full grown cat, it was either a redtail, which has trouble with a 1-lb chicken, or a friggen eagle.

Who needs to know their cat was dismembered by fowl? Why not let them think the cat was adopted by loving strangers?
Because they need to be aware of predatory birds and take appropriate precautions with their new cat.

Because they are wasting their time looking for a cat who has flown the coop, when there are so many in need of adoption.

You go to them and tell them what you saw, out of earshot of any kids.

Forum List

Back