Moot discussion: toothless mutes

Moot? It means debateable...hence law students practice in moot courts.

People often think moot means it means dismissable, mostly because people dismiss somebody's point in the middle of a debate by saying that "point is moot".
i.e. that point is debatable.

Hence, ironically what they mean is that point is UNWORTHY of debate, but acknowledging that point is worthy of debate.

There once was a gal from Beirut
Who though life not such a hoot
Her nausea existential
Was so elemental
That everything about her was moot.​

moot
adj 1: open to debate [syn: disputed]
2: capable of being disproved [syn: debatable, disputable]
v : think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the
possibility of a strike"; "Turn the proposal over in your
mind" [syn: consider, debate, turn over, deliberate]

Moot? It means debateable...hence law students practice in moot courts.

People often think moot means it means dismissable, mostly because people dismiss somebody's point in the middle of a debate by saying that "point is moot".
i.e. that point is debatable.

Hence, ironically what they mean is that point is UNWORTHY of debate, but acknowledging that point is worthy of debate.

There once was a gal from Beirut
Who though life not such a hoot
Her nausea existential
Was so elemental
That everything about her was moot.​

actually, rather than being "debatable", it means that the point is purely academic and has no practical significance and of a hypothetical nature only. ;)

moot - Definitions from Dictionary.com

There was a young woman from Natchez,
Whose clothing was always in patches,
When she was asked why,
She was wont to reply,
"Cause when ah itches, ah scratches"

There should be more Ogden Nash here.

actually, rather than being "debatable", it means that the point is purely academic and has no practical significance and of a hypothetical nature only. ;)

moot - Definitions from Dictionary.com

That's moot.

It's a moot court because is isn't real, its purely academic and hypothetical in nature.

But it's also moot because it IS debateable.

If it's NOT debateable, it cannot be moot.

It's intent is all about context.

In ordinary useage the term "moot" is a sort of negotiable instrument. It very much depends on the context in which it's being used. I've been in industrial negotiations where something has come up and the other side have suggested, "well that's moot". And when it's been used in those contexts the meaning was, "that's hypothetical, phone us if it happens". It's actually (in negotiation) a pretty good tool to use because it gets under your skin because of its dismissive nature. So, my understanding of the word in comon useage is not that it's "debatable" as much as it's "irrelevant".

Moot court has a technical meaning in legal studies. It's really a simulation that is run to assess the advocacy abilities of law students.

In ordinary useage the term "moot" is a sort of negotiable instrument. It very much depends on the context in which it's being used. I've been in industrial negotiations where something has come up and the other side have suggested, "well that's moot". And when it's been used in those contexts the meaning was, "that's hypothetical, phone us if it happens". It's actually (in negotiation) a pretty good tool to use because it gets under your skin because of its dismissive nature. So, my understanding of the word in comon useage is not that it's "debatable" as much as it's "irrelevant".

I think that's spot on. Used commonly, calling something moot IS dismissive.

Moot court has a technical meaning in legal studies. It's really a simulation that is run to assess the advocacy abilities of law students.

And if you can't cut the mustard they bury your career on moot hill?

Forum List

Back