Moot discussion: toothless mutes

And it's MOOT point, MOOT. Not MUTE. A MUTE is someone who has had his tongue cut out or otherwise cannot talk.

MOOT means of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

I don't usually care about occasional spelling flub ups, or people who can't spell at all...but if you're going to use a word continually when attempting to be rude to people, at least use the correct word to begin with.
True, but it could mean a point with no teeth.

• Banned
True, but it could mean a point with no teeth.

That is just a paraphrase of the exact definition provided. In other words, means the same thing. You can say it a hundred different ways...but it means the same thing.

• Banned
Then you think wrong, dear.
"No teeth" when discussing philosophical ideas is simply "deprived of practical significance; purely academic."

In other words, no teeth.

Then you think wrong, dear.
"No teeth" when discussing philosophical ideas is simply "deprived of practical significance; purely academic."

In other words, no teeth.

I know what "no teeth" means, dear. I'm saying that the word "mute" does not mean no teeth, except perhaps in some far-fetched, abstract exercise of poetic license.

• Banned
I know what "no teeth" means, dear. I'm saying that the word "mute" does not mean no teeth, except perhaps in some far-fetched, abstract exercise of poetic license.

I never said "mute" meant no teeth????

????????

Besides which, wasn't I responding to Ravi?
Are you guys trying to drive me insane?

Whoops, that was for Ravi, though I can include you as well...

Hey Abby Cadaby,

I have an idea for what you can name the new thread you create after you snip this side discussion: Moot discussion of toothless moot mutes!

It is my early new year's resolution to use the quote button more often.

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Snipped from another thread...
~Abelian Sea

Yes you can if you are a natural US citizen, that means a parent is American. Hate to burst your bubble. But this is mute cause Hawaii has stated his birth certificate is real and valid.

I agree, mute point. I learned some things from this discussion.

And it's MOOT point, MOOT. Not MUTE. A MUTE is someone who has had his tongue cut out or otherwise cannot talk.

MOOT means of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

I don't usually care about occasional spelling flub ups, or people who can't spell at all...but if you're going to use a word continually when attempting to be rude to people, at least use the correct word to begin with.

I agree, mute point. I learned some things from this discussion.

Strictly for educational purposes, I feel obligated to once again point out that the correct word is "moot," not "mute." (rhymes with boot).

If you know that the correct word is moot, and this is merely a spelling error, I apologize. I don't want to be accused of being a lame-ass spelling hawk. But since I hear people use mute instead of moot quite often, I'm not making that assumption. For example, Shannon Sharpe makes this mistake at least once a week on the NFL pre-game show and I can't believe nobody has corrected him yet.

Main Entry: moot
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1587
1 a: open to question : debatable b: subjected to discussion : disputed
2: deprived of practical significance : made abstract or purely academic

I'm a language nazi, I admit it. In my country we have mangled certain phrases. EG

"I was as drunk as a newt" - it's originally a British saying I think. I suppose a newt being immersed in water, water being a liquid, booze being a liquid...get the connection?

But how do we say it? "I was drunk as a mute".

And that's not all.

In the British idiom to have a "bunfight" means to eat a rather large and sumptuous meal. We use the word when we mean a verbal dispute, an argument, "we're going to have a real bunfight over that".

And "off my own bat" meaning to do it yourself, we say "off my own back".

Finally the number of journalists who confused "prevaricate" with "procrastinate" is disgusting. They mean that someone is procrastinating but for some reason they want to accuse them of lying. :eek:

There, I feel better.

Forum List

Back