Moore's Law Not About To Be Repealed

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
LINK
Moore's Law which states that the performance to price ratio of computers doubles every 18 months.... still holds true after all these years.....

Named after Gordon Moore, the founder of Intel......

KarlMarx said:
LINK
Moore's Law which states that the performance to price ratio of computers doubles every 18 months.... still holds true after all these years.....

Named after Gordon Moore, the founder of Intel......

It is estimated that this will continue until 2015 where bits will be a single atom. This would make a computer the size of an apple about 10,000,000 times more efficient than the human brain.

insein said:
scary shit. Cause if its that eficient, isnt sentient life not that far away? I dont like the idea of machines thinking for themselves.

I personally think that there will be some that will make the computers regardless of any misapprehension of the rest of society. The technophiles will be a society unto themselves.

no1tovote4 said:
It is estimated that this will continue until 2015 where bits will be a single atom. This would make a computer the size of an apple about 10,000,000 times more efficient than the human brain.

Actually, a bit is just a number. The quantum processor, which has already been invented and patented by IBM, uses electrons to carry the signal instead of transistors, using the spin of the electron rather than the current of the lead. The interesting thing is that an electron can spin both ways at once (don't ask how, I don't know), further compounding the processing power. When commercialized sometime in the next 20 years, it should easily replace the silicon microprocessor.

Hobbit said:
Actually, a bit is just a number. The quantum processor, which has already been invented and patented by IBM, uses electrons to carry the signal instead of transistors, using the spin of the electron rather than the current of the lead. The interesting thing is that an electron can spin both ways at once (don't ask how, I don't know), further compounding the processing power. When commercialized sometime in the next 20 years, it should easily replace the silicon microprocessor.

Correct, I understand what a bit is. They are saying that the processing will be able to handle trillions of bits, one on each atom. Each atom in the computer can be a zero or a one or both at once, the processor would be able to handle the compilation. The largest problem they face is the heat produced by solid state electronics, once they solve that issue it can actually go faster than the current pace.

Forum List

Back