Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I love Monty Python, but I think this was the worst of their movies. It had its good sketches, like Mr. Creasote and the sex in the classroom skit, and the machine that goes "Ping!" But all in all, I was not too impressed. Unfortunately, I showed my wife this movie a few days ago - my wife who had never seen a Monty Python movie before. I think I need to go get M.P. and the Holy Grail quick!

I think I need to go get M.P. and the Holy Grail quick!

Yes, indeed you do!

I liked Meaning of Life. True, it's not as good as their other movies, but I think it was a situation where their first 2 (or 3 if you want to count 'And Now For Something Completely Different') were so great that Meaning of Life, which was really funny but not great, just paled in comparison.

I have a question: the vast majority of the humor in MP's Life of Brian seems to come in conflict with your strong religious devotion. How do you feel about that? Are you able to find humor in the sort of things going on in that movie? Personally, I thought that final scene was one of the funniest MP things I've ever seen, but I could see where you wouldn't.

Quite agree with you guys, MOL was funny in parts only.

As for Life of Brian, I was given the DVD for Christmas, how's that for a satirical gesture.

I personally do not find it offensive, but then I'm not a devout Christian. I can appreciate that some folks might find it offensive, maybe Brian wasn't a Muslim!!!

I enjoyed the Life of Brian. It was pretty obvious that they were satiring the story of Jesus' life (and more specifically, I think, the film Jesus of Nazareth, an excellent historical that film was released around the same time) and not Jesus Himself. Now my wife would not enjoy it at all, but I thought it was funny - especially the Judean Liberation Front, the People's Judean Front, etc. And the guy that played the Roman with the Elmer Fudd sound... "We-wease Wodewick!!!"

Yeah, it's a great movie. The first time I saw it, I didn't really know much about the story of Jesus, so I probably didn't get half the jokes. My favorite moment was when he walked out onto his balcony naked and all of his followers were down there staring at him. Either that, or "alright, I'm the Messiah, now FUCK OFF!!!!" That song at the end, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" ws funny too.

Forum List

Back