Montana Sheriff's Department interview....

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
A man seeking to join a Montana Sheriff's Department is being interviewed.

The Deputy doing the interview says, "Your qualifications all look good, but there is an attitude suitability test that you must take before you can be accepted." Then, sliding a service pistol across the desk, he says, "Take this pistol and go out and shoot six illegal aliens, six drug dealers, six Muslim extremists, and a rabbit."

"Why the rabbit?” asks the applicant.

"Great attitude," says the Sergeant. "When can you start?"

And it was my brother in law that sent that to me. Born and raised in Montana and still lives there.
I lived in montana for 4 years and tonight we were talking about how we missed it. Would move there if he could get a decent job there. We lived in Great Falls area.

I lived there too. Once for just about a year back in '73, and then again for about six months in the winter of '88, '89. My older sister has lived out there since 1970. I really liked it myself, and gave it a look before I left Nevada, but property prices are sky high there. Almost California like high. Don't know why, but they are. You need around $300K to get an average house with a tiny bit of land up there. Hell I can buy a 75 acre farm for that here in Wisconsin. I'm planning on taking a vacation out there this summer. I haven't been back there since the last time I lived there back in '89. My sister lives in Sheridan, which is kind of between Bozeman and Butte, south a little, and it's one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.

Last edited:
And it was my brother in law that sent that to me. Born and raised in Montana and still lives there.
I lived in montana for 4 years and tonight we were talking about how we missed it. Would move there if he could get a decent job there. We lived in Great Falls area.

I lived there too. Once for just about a year back in '73, and then again for about six months in the winter of '88, '89. My older sister has lived out there since 1970. I really liked it myself, and gave it a look before I left Nevada, but property prices are sky high there. Almost California like high. Don't know why, but they are. You need around $300K to get an average house with a tiny bit of land up there. Hell I can buy a 75 acre farm for that here in Wisconsin. I'm planning on taking a vacation out there this summer. I haven't been back there since the last time I lived there back in '89. My sister lives in Sheridan, which is kind of between Bozeman and Butte, south a little, and it's one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.
From when we lived there 2000 to 2004 what some locals told me was prices were high to keep people from moving there in masses! I also heard that there is some type of law if you buy a house on 1 acre of land lets say, you have to have at least 1 acre between you and that neighbor. Something like that. Yeah the average house when I left and it was a dump was around 250k. There really are no jobs either except for services type jobs. I suppose there is always a possible GS job that might open up one day. If so I'm sure my husband would jump on it.

The only thing I could never catch a fish there! Funniest thing in the world. I would have cranes land less then 500 feet from me and grab a fish. I posted help on a fishing message board once for help to catch fish. (big mistake) A person responded to me with this; "Let me get this straight lady, you live in Montana, and you cannot catch one fish"? "They should be jumping in your lap." LOL

I liked up by Glacier National Park myself, people in Great Falls didn't like Butte much. I have no idea why, but I've drove in that area and it is pretty country. Hell, all of Montana is beautiful!

From when we lived there 2000 to 2004 what some locals told me was prices were high to keep people from moving there in masses! I also heard that there is some type of law if you buy a house on 1 acre of land lets say, you have to have at least 1 acre between you and that neighbor. Something like that. Yeah the average house when I left and it was a dump was around 250k. There really are no jobs either except for services type jobs. I suppose there is always a possible GS job that might open up one day. If so I'm sure my husband would jump on it.

The only thing I could never catch a fish there! Funniest thing in the world. I would have cranes land less then 500 feet from me and grab a fish. I posted help on a fishing message board once for help to catch fish. (big mistake) A person responded to me with this; "Let me get this straight lady, you live in Montana, and you cannot catch one fish"? "They should be jumping in your lap." LOL

I liked up by Glacier National Park myself, people in Great Falls didn't like Butte much. I have no idea why, but I've drove in that area and it is pretty country. Hell, all of Montana is beautiful!

It seems you have to either be a logger, a miner, or a cowboy in Montana, otherwise as you say, there really aren't any jobs. So it makes me wonder why there's so many million dollar plus houses up there. Well, one reason is the Californians like to sell out and hit town with a couple million, build a huge house, stay there a couple years and decide they hate the Montana winter and want to move out. So there stands a huge house with nobody in it, and they want a fortune for it. They're all over. Incredible. But I looked at houses around Sheridan, Alder, Virginia City, Ennis and Bozeman, and for between $150K and $200K, all you'd get for that kind of money is a little cabin type house sitting on a tiny little lot, no basement, no garage, nothing extra. Ta heck with that. Too expensive for me, when for $200K I can buy a real nice, large house on ten acres of land up here in Wisconsin. Which as a matter of fact I'm dealing TODAY on a nice four bedroom home sitting on 6.2 acres of land, and now don't fall over, but they're asking $89,900.00, and as the deal is going, I'll probably get it for more like $75K. This property would be $350K in Montana.

As far as fishing goes, if you weren't using a fly rod with a popper, you need to learn how to fly fish. You'll catch one then. Nice Rainbow or Brown Trout.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the PC police haven't shown up to chastise you for the joke.

Kill da wabbit! Kill the rabbit! Kill da rabbit!
kill_the_wabbit.jpg

God, I loved that cartoon.

Best rendition of Wagner's Ring Series ever done, in my completely musically clueless opinion.​

My brother lives about maybe two hours from Sheridan kind of in the middle of Gillete and Sundance! This last spring when we went to see him we drove the back way over the Rockies where you end up in Anaconda, that was probably the most beautiful part of this country I have seen so far!
So have you ever been to the 10,000 silver dollar bar? I used to love that place as a kid!

A man seeking to join a Montana Sheriff's Department is being interviewed.

The Deputy doing the interview says, "Your qualifications all look good, but there is an attitude suitability test that you must take before you can be accepted." Then, sliding a service pistol across the desk, he says, "Take this pistol and go out and shoot six illegal aliens, six drug dealers, six Muslim extremists, and a rabbit."

"Why the rabbit?” asks the applicant.

"Great attitude," says the Sergeant. "When can you start?"
I will have to tell my brother this joke, he likes Montana jokes but usually when they have to do with sheep!

My brother lives about maybe two hours from Sheridan kind of in the middle of Gillete and Sundance! This last spring when we went to see him we drove the back way over the Rockies where you end up in Anaconda, that was probably the most beautiful part of this country I have seen so far!
So have you ever been to the 10,000 silver dollar bar? I used to love that place as a kid!

I've been to both Gillete and Sundance, but was never in a bar there. I used to hang out in the Stockman or the Sump in Sheridan, or Antlers in Alder, or the Bale a' Hay in Virginia City. Many, many moons ago though, like over twenty years ago.

I've been to both Gillete and Sundance, but was never in a bar there. I used to hang out in the Stockman or the Sump in Sheridan, or Antlers in Alder, or the Bale a' Hay in Virginia City. Many, many moons ago though, like over twenty years ago.
10,000 silver dollar bar is outside of Missoula, sorry I should of clarified!
I will have to ask my brother the name of the friend of his who just died from Stockman!

I wasn't fly fishing but I was using the correct bait and stuff from what I was told. Oh did I mention I even tried to fish 50 feet from a fish hatchery too? *Laugh* I know not even then!

I only own 2 acres and a 4 bedroom about 2100 sq ft and we paid 249k for it here in Va probably worth now only 120k *laugh* I have friends in Montana and they paid 249 and 300k for a house there in great falls and it was nothing to write home about. The winter's are pretty harsh but since it's a dry cold it's not so bad. I remember taking my kids to school one Nov. morning and a lot of the kids were in a tshirt only. No coats! I look at the temp and it was 24 degrees! Crazy!

One time there with the wind chill it got down to 63 below zero and 4th of July we got 10 inches of snow. Even though I do not tolerate cold very well, I still would move to Montana. I just loved it there!

I felt like I lived in another country! This isn't bad Great Falls, MT, 59404 - MLS ID#09-213 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® but no LAND! What is the point to live in Montana if you don't have land right?

10,000 silver dollar bar is outside of Missoula, sorry I should of clarified!
I will have to ask my brother the name of the friend of his who just died from Stockman!

The Stockman was a bar in Sheridan where my sister lives... :)

I wasn't fly fishing but I was using the correct bait and stuff from what I was told. Oh did I mention I even tried to fish 50 feet from a fish hatchery too? *Laugh* I know not even then!

I only own 2 acres and a 4 bedroom about 2100 sq ft and we paid 249k for it here in Va probably worth now only 120k *laugh* I have friends in Montana and they paid 249 and 300k for a house there in great falls and it was nothing to write home about. The winter's are pretty harsh but since it's a dry cold it's not so bad. I remember taking my kids to school one Nov. morning and a lot of the kids were in a tshirt only. No coats! I look at the temp and it was 24 degrees! Crazy!

One time there with the wind chill it got down to 63 below zero and 4th of July we got 10 inches of snow. Even though I do not tolerate cold very well, I still would move to Montana. I just loved it there!

I felt like I lived in another country! This isn't bad Great Falls, MT, 59404 - MLS ID#09-213 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® but no LAND! What is the point to live in Montana if you don't have land right?

260K for an average sized home with no basement sitting on a tiny little lot stuck right in the middle of town. Nope, I wouldn't want that either. I don't like in town period. I have to have some elbow room. The place I'm dealing on here in Wisconsin has 6.2 acres which is decent. My minimum for land with a house is an acre.

Montana really isn't that cold. It gets a lot of west coast temps. I remember the winter of '88 - '89 I spent out there, I bartended part time and would close up at night. I'd walk home because it was just a few blocks, and even at three in the morning the temp wasn't that bad. It's a drier cool, and the higher elevation. It's nothing compared to the cold here in Wisconsin. The only thing I would worry about walking home at night was the Coyotes and the bears. I packed my .45 pistol.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back