Montana Firearms Freedom Act

Not to knock the thread off track, but I've always wanted to visit Montana.

I don't think I've actually ever met anyone from Montana, but watching films like Legends of the Fall and A River Runs Through It really make me intrigued.

I wonder if this born and bred Californian could handle the winters.

The Democrats will just declare this null and void when they want to. They do not care one whit about the US Constitution unless it happens to support their position.

I don't think I've actually ever met anyone from Montana, but watching films like Legends of the Fall and A River Runs Through It really make me intrigued.

A very beautiful state. Brutal winters, even for someone used to Eastern Oregon winters. Have fished a bit on the Madison, better even than they advertise.

You can easily spend a month in the summer, and still feel that you have barely seen Montana.

The Democrats will just declare this null and void when they want to. They do not care one whit about the US Constitution unless it happens to support their position.

Kind of a general statement there.

The same point could easily be made about the Republicans (they don't like the fourth amendment).

The same point could easily be made about the Republicans (they don't like the fourth amendment).

Bullshit. But then Liberals always try to deflect. We have a Lawyer on this board that is a die hard Democrat and has said more than once that the Constitution should be ignored by creating voter tests for intelligence, by claiming Conservatives should be barred from voting and several other out right illegal comments, of course when called on, the response is " well I was just joking".

You're right - the Democrats do not care one bit about the right to bare assault rifles. The founders roll over in their graves every time some right-wing whacko brings up the constitution in relation to guns that are thousands time more powerful than ancient guns.

You're in rare form tonight David two comments to idiotic remarks good job. Real assault weapons which are capable of full auto fire already are essentially illegal.

Which is, in itself, an illegal and immoral violation of the prerogatives of free citizens.

That's why I don't care for the NRA. They're always saying that we need to do a better job of enforcing laws that should be repealed.

Beautiful state, just be weary of their small towns ... unless you're "normal".

You're right - the Democrats do not care one bit about the right to bare assault rifles. The founders roll over in their graves every time some right-wing whacko brings up the constitution in relation to guns that are thousands time more powerful than ancient guns.

David,

This statement is a myth perpetrated by the anti-second amendment crowd.
The two most popular varieties of "assault" rifles in the US ar the AR15 and the AK47.

The AR15 fires a .223 round that is so weak it is not permitted to be used as a deer hunting round in most states.

"The debate is whether or not the .223 can be used to hunt deer. The majority of shootists seem to believe not but there are some die-hards who swear by it every hunting season. hand loaded with a premium 60 or 70 grain bullet the .223 will and has taken many deer. My father used one for awhile with pretty good success. A careful hunter with a well-aimed shot can humanely harvest deer but it probably is not powerful enough to do the job in every situation. Out of respect for a grand game animal it is probably not wise to use it on deer. It is more effective to use a deer rifle on varmints than a varmint rifle on deer. Besides there are better calibers available for deer hunting."

Associated Content Mobile

The AK47 fires a 7.62x39mm round that is nearly identical to the 30-30 Winchester hunting round...one of the weakest round that classifies as a deer hunting round.

"Since approximately 1990, the 7.62x39mm cartridge has seen some use in hunting arms in the US for hunting game up to the size of whitetail deer, as it is approximately as powerful as the old .30-30 Winchester round, and has a similar ballistic profile.[6]"

AK47 7.62mm round 7.62x39mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.30-30 Winchester:

"The .30-30 is considered by many to be the "entry-class" for modern deer cartridges."

30-30 Winchester .30-30 Winchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The firearms that were used in 1787 could often kill a bison, moose, elk, deer or grizzly bear with one shot.

Edit - For the record...90% of rifle cartridges are more powerful that the .30-30 Winchester and the .223 Remington.

The .30-30 cartridge was indroduced in the 1895.

Last edited:
My older sister has lived in Montana for 36+ years. Her husband is born and bred Montanian as well as much of his ancestry. My brother in law sent me this in an email, and I can tell you from experience, since I lived in Montana on two different occasions, they're SERIOUS! Those people up there are fiercely independent. They hunt, they fish, they're cowboys and miners and loggers, hell there's less than a million people in the whole state. They don't want some fat assed bureaucrat in Washington thousands of miles away telling them what they can and can't do in their state. I've witnessed their pioneer spirit. They're willing to go it alone and they'll fight for the right to do so. Much of the citizenry of Montana still possesses the frontier spirit and they're rugged individuals. The rest of the country could take a lesson from Montana. If the shit ever hits the fan, I'll move back to Montana and join their ranks.

Last edited:
If the fed jump in and try to stop them, then I hope everyone in all states will stand up and shout back at them ... let the federal government know who's boss again. But, I doubt enough will.

If the fed jump in and try to stop them, then I hope everyone in all states will stand up and shout back at them ... let the federal government know who's boss again. But, I doubt enough will.

I think you're probably right, but it will be quite a showdown if the Federal government chooses to pick a fight over it.

If *I* were the Fed's, I would let it go...quietly. Any action they could take would be unconstitutional.

Talk about a lose/lose situation.

I can't wait to hear Kevin Kennedy's take on this...Constitution wise.

Last edited:

Bullshit. But then Liberals always try to deflect. We have a Lawyer on this board that is a die hard Democrat and has said more than once that the Constitution should be ignored by creating voter tests for intelligence, by claiming Conservatives should be barred from voting and several other out right illegal comments, of course when called on, the response is " well I was just joking".

Remember SGT lawyers are just like screw drivers in ya tool box ya pull them out when ya need them and put them back when ya finished.

The constitutional argument of this legislation is extremely sound, and I applaud Montana's legislature and governor for passing it. The federal government has no right to regulate or be in any way involved in Montana's intrastate gun market, and their broad interpretations of the commerce clause has allowed them to usurp far too many powers that belong constitutionally to the state governments. Not to mention the second amendment which does not allow the federal government to infringe on the right of Americans to own guns in the first place.

Should the federal government try to fight this legislation they will, of course, be in direct violation of the Constitution, though we should not be surprised if that doesn't stop them.

Forum List

Back