Montana blows away Bradshaw, Marino,Elway

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
for best -ever QB.

Tom Brady maade me nervous, and Aaron Rodgers makes me real neverous.....................................

Wasn't a huge sucess in college at Cal - may be the tie -breaker vs Montana

Montana is the best big game QB I ever saw

Brady is close.
Rodgers can put together some championships as can Brees

Until then......Montana rules

To me, Montana vs Elway comes down to that one Superbowl

55-10 ass kicking

Elway looked like a deer in the headlights and couldn't do anything against a SF Defense that wasnt that great. Montana was just toying with them

Last edited:
Elway had no running game when Denver got blown out of those 80s Super Bowls, and Denver's defense was very small.

Elway is the best quarterback in NFL history. You just can't narrow it down to "head-to-head" games or how many championships are won. He had ALL of the tools..........pocket presence, scrambling ability, height, great arm, CLUTCH quarterback who never got rattled. Nobody better. The Broncos without Elway would have been like the Colts without Peyton Manning.

Just look at Terry Bradshaw. FOUR Super Bowl rings, and in my mind he is, at best, a fringe Hall-Of-Famer. He played well in big games, but his overall statistics are not great.

Montana played in a "system" that was INVENTED for him..............the west coast offense. Short to medium passing routes, solid running game, etc. Montana did not have a great arm. Montana was not fleet of foot. Montana was a WINNER and perhaps the best "clutch" quarterback ever, and that is why he deserves mention as one of the greatest of all time.

John Elway was the TOTAL package. Period. The only quarterbacks that come to mind that are in his "category" of "total package" would be Steve Young and among today's quarterbacks, perhaps Aaron Rodgers (who, by the way, had a GREAT career at California.............remember, he was a JC transfer).

Other quarterbacks? Marino was a gunslinger and a pylon in the pocket. Favre was a gunslinger and had the intellect of a gnat. Kosar was one of the best pure passers to ever play the game, but he wore cement cleats. Esiason was a good one. Sims was a good one. Gannon was another very accurate passer who blossomed late. Bledsoe was very good.

The list of "mentionable" quarterbacks is a long one, but only ONE stands above the others. John Elway.

Last edited:
Tom Brady should be in the conversation. So should Troy Aikman, and maybe Roger Staubach.

I always thought Bradshaw was basically an average QB that was lucky enough to play on one of the greatest teams of all time.

for best -ever QB.

Tom Brady maade me nervous, and Aaron Rodgers makes me real neverous.....................................

Wasn't a huge sucess in college at Cal - may be the tie -breaker vs Montana

I go with:
(1) Brady - Undisputed in my mind.
(2) Montana
(3) P. Manning
(4) Elway
(5) Marino - The post season lack of success is the knock on him, but no one was better in the regular season. It's a team sport, one man can't do it all.

If Rodgers keeps it up he might crack the top 5 down the line!

Brady is close.

Brady has 3 rings, nearly a 4th and nearly the perfect season. First team to go 16-0 ('72 Dolphins went 14-0). Puts up amazing number year in and out and he is still going. Tops my list.

P. Manning needed one more ring to top Montana, but that last SB performance moved him to 3rd.

Elway gets slack for have Terrel Davis in his prime, Sharpe (arguably be offensive TE every), a solid D and great WRs, but that man still produced like no other! He deserves credit and maybe even #3!

Brady is close.

Brady has 3 rings, nearly a 4th and nearly the perfect season. First team to go 16-0 ('72 Dolphins went 14-0). Puts up amazing number year in and out and he is still going. Tops my list.

P. Manning needed one more ring to top Montana, but that last SB performance moved him to 3rd.

Elway gets slack for have Terrel Davis in his prime, Sharpe (arguably be offensive TE every), a solid D and great WRs, but that man still produced like no other! He deserves credit and maybe even #3!

To me, Brady is close to Montana. Montana also put together a 15-1 season and did not lose to a 10-6 team in the Super Bowl

P Manning only has that one SB win against an unimpressive Bears team. One of the best I have seen, but not a winner

Elway is in my top 5, but I still saw him come up short too many times.

Forum List

Back