Monsters: Spiritual Investigation

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
A monster is someone (or something) that impairs our sense of security/stability and can literally hobble our sense of flexibility and sensitivity.

Demons, ghouls, predators, and monsters are popular topics in folk religions and mainstream religions.

When we rent a sensitivity-themed Hollywood (USA) film such as "One Hour Photo" [2002] on Netflix, we might feel entertained about our confidence regarding sensory accounting.

A monster can take such feelings and sense of place away from us and leave us feeling dependent on our environments for emotional/psychological support.

The cult-favourite American horror film franchise The Texas Chainsaw Massacre presents a ghoulish monster named Leatherface, a chainsaw-wielding cannibal who wears a mask made out of the skin of dead people.

Leatherface is arguably the ultimate film-monster, a super-psycho who hobbles his victims' ability to coordinate their bodies to remain flexible and brave.

If life is like a delicate balancing act, then a monster (such as Leatherface) preys on our sensibilities about self-awareness, confidence, and resilience.

Children's folk tales present monsters as affable creatures who challenge humanity's basic assumptions about happiness, normalness, and body-mind coordination. Children enjoy these tales/images, since they foster a sense of curiosity about humanness and imagination.

Christians talk about demons as monsters who devastate a person's faith towards teamwork. These demons/monsters challenge a person's sense of security regarding humiliation, self-organization, and vanity.

If a monster such as Leatherface hobbles our ability to remain safe, then what are the boundaries between psychological order and philosophical chaos?

To understand monsters (and/or monstrosity) we can try to create categories of shock:

1. sexual predator (rapist)
2. non-human predator (shark)
3. political predator (tyrant)
4. perception predator (ghost)
5. mysticism predator (Devil)
6. sanity predator (Leatherface)

Monsters

Leviathan

monster.jpg

All monster myths emanate from the human fear of animals that eat us. As with all things human fear of things like lions, alligators, giant squids, sharks, bears, etc morphed into myths with the monsters being given various bizarre physical attributes. Birds with snake heads or huge birds that carry of elephants for dinner. Giant sea serpents. And the forest was usually overpopulated with mythical creatures that were waiting to eviscerate and eat you, or swallow you whole.

All this was common when humans didn't know anything about the natural world and hadn't catalogued species. Most religions incorporate these fears as well as the fear of natural phenomena like hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, volcanoes, and the like into their reasons for needing an 'all powerful super-natural being' to worship and appease.

But it's all perceptions, in actuality more people die by vending macines each year then sharks, and more die by deer then by bear attacks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But it's all perceptions, in actuality more people die by vending macines each year then sharks, and more die by deer then by bear attacks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes and there isn't an all powerful 'god' causing tornadoes and hurricanes to 'punish' people. The myth of the monster is as old as humanity and will never die out. Fear is the most primal driving force.

In the Judaic tradition God is that force in life creating order out of this chaos, that essence to become (Shalem)whole, complete,&stable=evolve-progress to all we could & should be. So it's the warning, itcs the nature to want to build stronger structures to withstand the chaotic storms, to make better emergency plans andxweather detections to thwart casualties and damages.
Therefore the more society is progressed to be closer to complete and stable the better they weather those storms and less casualties. The cultures who don't reflect that essence end up being the ones with the most casualties and suffering.
Nature flushes out that which slacks or falls behind. With our neglect and thoughtless population growth spurt, A long over due big purge would not surprise me. It's part of the process like the trimmings of decaying leafs off a plant helping to maintain healthy stable growth.

The Pompeii Veil

Two 'folk mythos' avatars representing complete destruction (and hence qualifying as monstrous) are Shiva, the unusual Hindu god of destruction, and Leatherface, the fictional chainsaw-wielding cannibal from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror film franchise.

Since these two demi-gods/gods represent pure destructive force/intent, how can we use them to talk about the inevitability of devastation in the discussion of monster-catalysed panic?

Pompeii was an ancient city completely destroyed by a volcano eruption. Let's create a Grendel-esque exploration of the 'intellectualization' of monsters:

SHIVA: Pompeii was the victim of pure tragedy.

LEATHERFACE: Pompeii could have been destroyed by Shiva.

SHIVA: Only monsters devastate human settlements.

LEATHERFACE: People are like ants and should be treated as dolls.

While I doubt Leatherface has any real intellectual investment in archaeology/history, we can certainly imagine he has a view on the monstrosity of doomsday.

Grendel

pairing.jpg

Once again, Shiva's destruction is not negative.
The power of destruction associated with Lord Shiva has great purifying power.
It's equivalent to the Judaic and thus borrowed by Christianity's destructive force of the Judges Refiners Fire.
Symbolism of judgement heat being turned up to bring introspection and purification because issues would rise to the surface to be addressed and
removed like skiming impurities from metal the refiners fire is turned up for the process of skiming off what is not pure and intended so what's left is more pure a finished product. Being put to the alegorical fire is never easy especially for those who hold on to their ego and affiliation pride. Hence coming to the process humble like a child otherwise it will be painful.
So in this instance destruction of ego, destruction of the adversary nature, destruction of darkness (lies and ignorance), destruction of chaos and old failed habits, destruction of death according to all major religions.

Source of the Judge=refiner's fire:

Michael is the one who brings men's souls to judgment ("signifer S. Michael repraesentet eas in lucam sanctam", Offert. Miss Defunct. "Constituit eum principem super animas suscipiendas", Antiph. off. Cf. "Hermas", Pastor, I, 3, Simil. VIII, 3).

Dan 12:1-4 Michael delivers everyone written in the book of life (judge)

IIQ13 "Heavenly Prince Melchizedek Scroll" about Michael conducting the atonement day Judgment.

Account of the Genesis which Enotes composed, to set against the Genesis of Moses, when it says [2] that the Devil (diabolos) was cast out of heaven(future Perfected earth) because of the evil (kakia) which he had brought forth and that Michael was set (kathistanai) in his place, that he might be associated with (synistanai)
the just Judge(krites), and might be the ambassador (presbeuein) for all creation; for he is good (agathos).
(meaning the Devil was the rule of this world and Michael was sent in his Place to cast out the evil he caused.)

If the devil and his works is judged and "destroyed" then judgement is by works which is what the iconographs show where Michael
holds the judgment scales and Satan is holding down the scale trying to prevent measurment of works (through faith only teachings).

1 Enoch 20:5
Michael, one of the holy angels, who, presiding over human virtue, commands the nations. (mediator/Judge)

EXODUS 23:20 "Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Beware of Him and obey His voice; do not provoke Him, for
**He will not pardon your transgressions**; for My name is in Him.

1 Enoch 53:6
Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel (Jeremiel)(14) shall be strengthened in that day, and shall then cast them into a furnace of blazing fire, that the Lord of spirits may be avenged of them for their crimes; because they became ministers of Satan, and seduced those who dwell upon earth.

Blessings scroll (1QSb=1Q28b)
V:20 "blessings of the Prince of the Congregation (Michael)
Renew him the covenant of the community so he might establish the kingdom of his people for ever, that he might judge the poor with righteousness & dispense Justice with equity to the oppressed.

4Q285 5&10 Judgment of the Kittim (Romans)

Dead Sea Scrolls:
llQMelch ll,9,13 ,
4Q246 ,
1QS x12-18

Power and Prestige: Bondage

HaShev,

I think you're very perceptive on a number of points.

However, I'm seeking to bring up a general question in the Pompeii post: "Why do we say things like, 'My insurance agent is a monster!'"

Shiva is definitely an authority figure an therefore represents the insight associated with jurisprudence and governance (similar to the Christian archangel Michael --- as you mentioned). However, can we use Shiva to talk about ideas regarding the overbearing aspects of authority (and on the dark side --- authoritarians, fascists, warlords, etc.)?

The insurance-paranoia fable "The Lightning-rod Man" (Melville) explores how everyday fears can be turned into deep-rooted anxieties by seemingly 'normal' human beings (such as insurance salesmen).

A 'monster' can be thought of as explicitly hideous or terrifying to the spirit, but we also use the term to talk about all kinds of unpleasantness --- i.e., "Newt Gingrich was a monster!"

That's why brought up Grendel, since it explores how monstrosity can be inferred to discuss metaphysical an psychological 'comfort zones.'

Shiva imposes supreme will and authority when creating destruction, and Leatherface is pure uncontrolled mayhem, so we can use such a pairing to try to evaluate fate.

HaShev, since you're verse in religious text, what do you think of the references of the Golem (i.e., from the Kabbalah)? I've been studying Golem-verse to understand Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Also HaShev, how would you feel about using the Shiva-Leatherface pairing to explore the uncomfortableness associated with slavery?

====

SHIVA: Bondage is equivalent to research.
LEATHERFACE: Bondage creates wrath.
SHIVA: Monsters avoid bondage.
LEATHERFACE: Monsters invent bondage.

====

The Lightning-rod Man (Herman Melville)

I'm not a Kabbalist and the only time I heard of the GOLEM was as a kid in one of those believe it or not mystery booklets.
To me those are esoteric stories, symbolic of something. Today we would call it a protective Robot where we literally write (program) onto it's forehead and breath it life-so what seemed strange and impossible in the past to believe, that from dirt can be formed and become alive is now revealed as silicas, ores, formed into a Golem= not so mysterious after all.

Everyone looks at the linear time line as stasists, never to see the advanced future qnd how it will involve itself in the past so they scoff at things asxstasists who truly never think about that future advanced =
olam habah.

You're watching horror films incorrectly. They're really comedies.

Headless Horseman: Monster Muchness

You're watching horror films incorrectly. They're really comedies.

I think you're absolutely right in a certain respect. Horror films speak to that undeniable 'shock' associated with the uncertainties of jurisprudence and terror. They make us giggle and laugh lightly at things we simply can not predict/control (such as goblins and boogeymen).

I was thinking of the Headless Horseman, a recurring 'monster' image in folklore from around the world and across history (and obviously from the Sleepy Hollow fable by Washington Irving).

The Headless Horseman rides a horse (usually) and walks around without a visible head attached to his shoulders, suggesting he symbolizes not only blind rage but also unrequited imagination.

In the earlier days of the Scotland Yard police (London), the elusive and now iconic urban serial killer Jack the Ripper made everyone kind of feel like there was a Headless Horseman riding around and making us feel frustrated about unrequited social justice.

What is the difference between rage and punishment?

When we look at 'folk mythos' avatars that symbolize pure destruction (i.e., Shiva and Leatherface), how conscious are we of the monstrosities of unrequited justice?

Headless Horseman (Folklore)

The Punisher (Marvel Comics)

horseman.jpg

Shiva vs. Headless Horseman: Sarcasm Serpents

In fact, why not compare Shiva and the Headless Horseman in a discussion about spiritual haunting?

Why are Devil's Advocates sometimes considered 'monsters'?

====

SHIVA: The Internet will make viruses like ghosts.
Headless Horseman: Pumpkin-bombs are glorious.
SHIVA: Halloween is a trophy.
Headless Horseman: Your head is middle-class.

====

Shiva

Headless Horseman

twins.jpg

Divine Thing: Approximations

Was Jack the Ripper a monster or simply a criminal?

Was Joseph McCarthy a monster or simply a fascist?

Modern pluralism requires a sociological analysis of historical categories.

halloween2.jpg

The Death Engram

When we read of dichotomies about good and evil (in comic books), we start thinking imaginatively and very casually about the 'physical scope' of monsters and heroes.

Doesn't that suggest that art is a tool we can use to discuss the 'philosophy of deformity'?

monsterG.jpg

monsterQ.jpg

Forum List

Back