Monster deal: Redskins to trade up and draft RG3

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
In a pre-draft blockbuster trade, the St. Louis Rams have agreed in principle to send the second overall pick in this year's draft to the Washington Redskins for three first-round draft picks and a second-round pick, according to a source in Cleveland familiar with the terms of the deal.

The trade, first reported by FoxSports.com, cannot be signed off on, turned in and processed until the new league year starts Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, but it is expected to become official then.

In the deal, the Rams will receive the Redskins' No. 6 overall pick, as well as the Redskins' first-round picks in 2013 and 2014. The Rams will also receive Washington's second-round pick this year in return for the second overall pick that the Redskins now will use on whichever quarterback the Indianapolis Colts do not draft No. 1 overall.

Source -- Washington Redskins acquire No. 2 overall pick from St. Louis Rams - ESPN

To move from 6th to 2nd this is a haul and then some.

If the Rams draft wisely they can build a dynasty from this trade.

Crazy deal. Just shows Washington is in a fantasy world. Three no 1's and a number 2 for a QB who may be a wash? Just look at the QB's who have washed out over the years as top 5 picks. If this was the NBA the commish would cancel it.

Giving up 3 straight no. 1's will cripple Washington for years, not that they are any good now. As for St Louis, they can use these picks (and they should be high) to trade down for extra picks like New England does every year or draft some studs. Problem is cap space with no. 1's so I would expect St Louis to trade some of the picks, maybe to Indy for DE Freeney who is being shopped around now. I know Indy would love draft picks for him.

Crazy deal. Just shows Washington is in a fantasy world. Three no 1's and a number 2 for a QB who may be a wash? Just look at the QB's who have washed out over the years as top 5 picks. If this was the NBA the commish would cancel it.

Giving up 3 straight no. 1's will cripple Washington for years, not that they are any good now. As for St Louis, they can use these picks (and they should be high) to trade down for extra picks like New England does every year or draft some studs. Problem is cap space with no. 1's so I would expect St Louis to trade some of the picks, maybe to Indy for DE Freeney who is being shopped around now. I know Indy would love draft picks for him.

Yeah, they gave up a ton to get a guy who might not pan out. Even if he does there will be a learning curve and the 2013 and 2014 first round picks could very easily be top ten to top fifteen overall picks that they just gave away. I doubt anybody is giving up a first rounder for Freeney but I agree that they do have a great opportunity to draft down and really stockpile picks. If I'm them I identify an offensive lineman that can be had in the middle first round and just continue to trade that 6th pick down until it's time to nab him. At least that's what the Belichick fan inside me would do. They'd have picks galore.

They really don't need to worry about cap space with all those picks tho, with the new slotted salary scale for draft picks the Rams can use those picks without fear of killing their cap.

Last edited:
Rams fans have a reason to be big time optimistic about the next ten years. It must be like Christmas morning to them today.

Forum List

Back