Monks Brawl at Jerusalem Shrine

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Israeli police have had to restore order at one of Christianity's holiest sites after a mass brawl broke out between monks in Jerusalem's Old City.

Fighting erupted between Greek Orthodox and Armenian monks at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the traditional site of Christ's crucifixion.

Two monks from each side were detained as dozens of worshippers traded kicks and punches at the shrine, said police.

Trouble flared as Armenians prepared to mark the annual Feast of the Cross.

Tapestries toppled

Shocked pilgrims looked on as decorations and tapestries were toppled during Sunday's clash.

Dressed in the vestments of the Greek Orthodox and Armenian denominations, rival monks threw punches and anything they could lay their hands on.

The Greeks blamed the Armenians for not recognising their rights inside the holy site, while the Armenians said the Greeks had violated one of their traditional ceremonies.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Monks brawl at Jerusalem shrine

typical and predictable behaviour from dogma junkies.

Sounds like a Monty Python Sketch. If a black man was one of those monks could you say a monk brawl without pissing off all the PC people ?

I'd pay to see that if some Shaolin monks were fighting

Yes, Grasshopper that would be a good fight

[youtube]faf7-rgA93A[/youtube]

typical and predictable behavior from slogun.

indeed, pointing out the violence inherent with dogma junkies over mythological ghosts is par for my course. Was that supposed to sting or something?

Oh my God, I love this!
They were busting it out like bikers at a Bob Segar concert. Christianity is so spiritual!!

Have you no respect for religion at all?

I don't. From all that I have seen and read from all of the various religions, I haven't seen anything that commands respect. This latest brawl is only further confirmation of how militant religious types can make a big deal out of nothing more than a belief. Hardly something which inspires respect, as far as I'M concerned.

I don't. From all that I have seen and read from all of the various religions, I haven't seen anything that commands respect. This latest brawl is only further confirmation of how militant religious types can make a big deal out of nothing more than a belief. Hardly something which inspires respect, as far as I'M concerned.

as opposed to the militant non-religious types ? :lol:

as opposed to the militant non-religious types ? :lol:

Has there been a study concerning violence perpetrated by Christians and violence perpetrated by non-Christians – or among monotheists and atheists? Excluding some outliers and relying o some type of statistical median, I think that such research would put “believers” in a bad light. Also, consider the fact religions such as Christianity preach about being peaceful and turning the other cheek.

Forum List

Back