Monitor Change Question

WillPower

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2018
I picked up a Dell 23" monitor at an estate sale for.....let's just say I stole it. There is no set-up CD with it. Do I need that CD to connect the VGA to my Dell desktop that already had a Dell monitor but an earlier one? I don't want to burn out my graphics card if I make a wrong move.

I picked up a Dell 23" monitor at an estate sale for.....let's just say I stole it. There is no set-up CD with it. Do I need that CD to connect the VGA to my Dell desktop that already had a Dell monitor but an earlier one? I don't want to burn out my graphics card if I make a wrong move.

These days monitors are usually pretty plug-and-play. Is your PC old?

I can't imagine plugging in the monitor causing any physical damage just because you don't have a set-up CD. :)

Plug the monitor in and make sure it gets power and turns on, and if it does, plug it in to your PC. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can probably download drivers for the monitor you just got.

That was many years ago in a galaxy far far away. Today you have to be aware of frequency capabilities what with the HD bands cramming more frequencies into a smaller band........

I can't imagine plugging in the monitor causing any physical damage just because you don't have a set-up CD. :)

Plug the monitor in and make sure it gets power and turns on, and if it does, plug it in to your PC. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can probably download drivers for the monitor you just got.
Baseball bats don't come with them anymore either.

I don't recall ever getting set-up software for a monitor.

• Banned

My Desktop is a Dell Dimension E521 from 2007...the monitor is from 2012. I've been using a Acer monitor I picked up at Best Buy about 5 years ago....it had an installation CD same as the new monitors I got with new desktops. The monitor lit up asking for a VGA connector...it's got no wear and tear from the looks of it...it's BIG compared to the Acer....23" compared to 19". I think the pixel resolution is much higher than I have now...that's why I am worried about my video card.

Baseball bats don't come with them anymore either.
Hillary managed. :auiqs.jpg:

My Desktop is a Dell Dimension E521 from 2007...the monitor is from 2012. I've been using a Acer monitor I picked up at Best Buy about 5 years ago....it had an installation CD same as the new monitors I got with new desktops. The monitor lit up asking for a VGA connector...it's got no wear and tear from the looks of it...it's BIG compared to the Acer....23" compared to 19". I think the pixel resolution is much higher than I have now...that's why I am worried about my video card.

I think the worst thing that is likely to happen is that there are problems with the display. Even with a 2007 PC, the video card should work, you just could need to keep the monitor at a low resolution. :dunno:

Do you know what video card is in the PC? You could look it up and see what it's capable of. I ran with a 9800GTX for years, that card came out around 2007. I could plug it in to any of my monitors today and it would work.

I think the worst thing that is likely to happen is that there are problems with the display. Even with a 2007 PC, the video card should work, you just could need to keep the monitor at a low resolution. :dunno:

Do you know what video card is in the PC? You could look it up and see what it's capable of. I ran with a 9800GTX for years, that card came out around 2007. I could plug it in to any of my monitors today and it would work.

Thanks...you told me what I need to know...I'm going for it....I looked up this monitor and although it's not being made by Dell anymore, it's still retailing for around $150....I paid, ready for this? a dollar for it in the last moments of an estate sale...everything had to go.

Plug it in and turn it on, it's not going to hurt your graphics card, graphics cards do a really good job of doing that to themselves. No need of a CD, why in this day and age would anyone need a CD to add a monitor? The only reason I could possibly think of for a manufacturer to include a CD is that it's full of unneeded/unwanted bloatware.

I remember my old 80s IBM XT. There was no monitor software provided, nor for any comp I've acquired since. You had to make display adjustments but beyond that, zip.

You're using VGA for a 23" monitor? Why even go that big if you're not going digital? Seems like a waste.

Holy shit is that thing an antique!!!!! Old DDR2 technology.......... Still have the original 320GB hard drive? If so I would seriously recommend backing up all your personal files at least once a week because a non-SSD that old would be past it's expected life span.

You're using VGA for a 23" monitor? Why even go that big if you're not going digital? Seems like a waste.
I'm not even sure that computer has HDMI.

Checked the stats, nope, no HDMI but it does have DVI.

Last edited:
If you're still using a VGA cable to connect your monitor to you computer then go to your local WalMart, Best Buy, Staples, etc and ask for a DVI cable, they're not expensive. You will see major quality video improvement on your monitor.

vga_hdmi_vdi_1.jpg

Plug it in and turn it on, it's not going to hurt your graphics card, graphics cards do a really good job of doing that to themselves. No need of a CD, why in this day and age would anyone need a CD to add a monitor? The only reason I could possibly think of for a manufacturer to include a CD is that it's full of unneeded/unwanted bloatware.

I'd think the CD would have any drivers required for the USB style monitor....my Acer monitor had drivers on the CD according to Best Buy.

If you're still using a VGA cable to connect your monitor to you computer then go to your local WalMart, Best Buy, Staples, etc and ask for a DVI cable, they're not expensive. You will see major quality video improvement on your monitor.

vga_hdmi_vdi_1.jpg

The Monitor has both a VGA and a DVI connection but my Desktop doesn't....thanks but I'm good with what I found out yesterday.

Holy shit is that thing an antique!!!!! Old DDR2 technology.......... Still have the original 320GB hard drive? If so I would seriously recommend backing up all your personal files at least once a week because a non-SSD that old would be past it's expected life span.

It's a fine old boy....the secret is keeping the dust blown off the motherboard...I hit it with an air hose twice a year. XP SP3 is the finest OS in my lifetime...7 is a cheap imitation and beyond that, I don't care for features I'll never use or bother learning. Since support stopped, I don't do any banking on it and I keep an eye on my control panel to make sure I don't have any visitors....oh, and re-set the registry every week or so to default. It's a tool for me, not a lifestyle...I dig mature stuff, trucks, motorcycles, even women if they're not fat.

Everybody's got an opinion and that's yours...whatever.

Forum List

Back