Monique Won!

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Isn't it amazing that up until only a few years ago, very few black people ever won an Oscar? Only as far back as Halle Berry. And she only won because she was black. Wasn't she like the first black woman to have ever won? She certainly didn't deserve it for that role in Monsters Ball. "Make me feel good!" :lol:

But Monique was GREAT. She just won!!!

And that black guy just won before her for something like Screenwriter? I'm so happy for her and that guy.

No, Halle Barry wasn't the first.

Hattie McDaniel won the Oscar for playing Mammy in Gone With The Wind in 1940.

Isn't it amazing that up until only a few years ago, very few black people ever won an Oscar?

Only if you consider 1963 only "a few years ago". Sidney Poitier

Also Louis Gossett Jr won for an Officer and a Gentleman in the early 80's.

Yer only right about the black women part.

Isn't it amazing that up until only a few years ago, very few black people ever won an Oscar?

Thats only a handful of men. Consider all the roles that were good in all those years that were overlooked.

Or blacks were only in black movies. Things are better now. Or getting better. More fair. More opportunities. Lets just say Dr. Kings dream is slowly becoming reality.

I think and hope blacks feel more today that America is theirs too. Certainly better than it was for their grandparents. Amen.

And actually, 1963 is a very long time ago. Closing in on 50 years.

Thats only a handful of men. Consider all the roles that were good in all those years that were overlooked.

Or blacks were only in black movies. Things are better now. Or getting better. More fair. More opportunities. Lets just say Dr. Kings dream is slowly becoming reality.

I think and hope blacks feel more today that America is theirs too. Certainly better than it was for their grandparents. Amen.

There's more, across all categories. I just listed the first two that came to mind.

Whoopi Goldberg was nominated for The Color Purple (1985) and won for Ghost (1990).

Morgan Freeman won for Million Dollar Baby (2005?).

There's more, across all categories. I just listed the first two that came to mind.

I just heard that coming up next is another possible first for an african american, or woman.

I tell you what. Woman might have it worse than men. They haven't had a US President yet either.

This is a man's world. James Brown.

Actually, I believe it is a womans world. Tiger had to win golf tournaments to become a billionaire. All his wife had to do was marry him.

Forum List

Back