Moneyball

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
Love watching sports. Not a fan of sports movies. But, I finally watched Moneyball. It's pretty good. Not sure why they cast a lumpy Phil Seymour Hoffman as Art Howe. It's not like the role had any challenging scenes.

I know, it's too early to talk about baseball. But what's been happening with the A's is eyebrow-raising, even for Billy Beane. They've traded their 6 All-Stars since the last All-Star game.
Donaldson is a Blue Jay. Brandon Moss is on the Tribe.
I'm actually open minded about the trades. Pitching still looks good. Bullpen looks good. We got some young infielders to compete for jobs. On offense, it looks like Beane might be going for the Royals formula (speed, put the ball in play).

Coco Crisp CF
Craig Gentry/Fuld LF
Reddick RF
Billy Butler DH
Brett Lawrie 3B
Ike Davis. 1B
Jaso/Phegley C
M. Semien SS
Sogard. 2B

Maybe 2015 is not our year. That could be a huge understatement. Got a kid named Joe Wendle 2B/3B from Indians. Got a power hitting inf. Renato Nunez who might be out of minor league options. Top prospect is a 20 yr old shortstop. Picked up some pitching prospects in trades.

Padres have been busy. White Sox too. Giants replaced Panda with a Santa Cruz local (McGehee). Lots of action, but it's probably still too early to talk baseball.

Love watching sports. Not a fan of sports movies. But, I finally watched Moneyball. It's pretty good. Not sure why they cast a lumpy Phil Seymour Hoffman as Art Howe. It's not like the role had any challenging scenes.

I know, it's too early to talk about baseball. But what's been happening with the A's is eyebrow-raising, even for Billy Beane. They've traded their 6 All-Stars since the last All-Star game.
Donaldson is a Blue Jay. Brandon Moss is on the Tribe.
I'm actually open minded about the trades. Pitching still looks good. Bullpen looks good. We got some young infielders to compete for jobs. On offense, it looks like Beane might be going for the Royals formula (speed, put the ball in play).

Coco Crisp CF
Craig Gentry/Fuld LF
Reddick RF
Billy Butler DH
Brett Lawrie 3B
Ike Davis. 1B
Jaso/Phegley C
M. Semien SS
Sogard. 2B

Maybe 2015 is not our year. That could be a huge understatement. Got a kid named Joe Wendle 2B/3B from Indians. Got a power hitting inf. Renato Nunez who might be out of minor league options. Top prospect is a 20 yr old shortstop. Picked up some pitching prospects in trades.

Padres have been busy. White Sox too. Giants replaced Panda with a Santa Cruz local (McGehee). Lots of action, but it's probably still too early to talk baseball.
yeah moneyball is one of my favorite sports movies.

It's so Beane-like. At first it looks like he's hosting a fire sale. Then, maybe it looks like there's a little rhyme to his reason. After all is said and done, he's put a quality product on the field for 2015 while simultaneously loading up on prospects. He's fearless. He doesn't hear the noise and grumbling and the doubters.

A's acquired Ben Zobrist and Yuniel Escobar today. With glaring weaknesses at 2B, SS and LF, these two guys are the perfect pieces complete a puzzle that's been assembling for months. Zobrist can play 2B and LF. Escobar is an upgrade from what the A's had last year, both offensively and defensively.

Young pitchers acquired this offseason; Chris Bassit, RJ Alvarez, Jesse Hahn, Kendall Graveman and Sean Nolin. A couple of those guys are going to be good.

Yuniel Escobar was an Oakland A for less than a week. He's been traded to the Nationals for Tyler Clippard. This isn't even a money saving move, as Clippard is due to be awarded $8-$9 million at arbitration.

"Clippard, who turns 30 next month, has been one of the most consistent late-inning performers in baseball over the past five seasons, averaging 74 games and 78 2/3 innings pitched over that span. His 75 appearances were fourth in the league, and he threw to a 2.18 ERA with an excellent .995 WHIP." -Washington Post.

Clippard does three things for Oakland.

1. Slides immediately into the same 8th inning spot he occupied for the Nationals last year.
2. Can push Doolittle for the closer spot - putting some pressure on him could be a good thing.
3. Pushes former closer and former All-Star Ryan Cook to the 7th inning role, creating a solid 7/8/9 closeout.

Or Beane trades all three of them tomorrow.

so Tree,are you going to Rickys tonight to discuss save Oakland Sports? if not,i can understand since this is short notice for you but I would think you would at LEAST make plans to go to this meeting concerning the Raiders?

WHAT: Final EIR and Coliseum Specific Plan (for Coliseum City) to be Considered for Certification

WHEN: Wednesday, March 4th at 6 pm

WHERE: City of Oakland City Hall - Hearing Room 1 - One Frank H. Ogawa Plaza - Oakland, CA 94612

MISSION:

This is a VERY important and major step towards making the Coliseum City plan a reality.

It's expected that there may be some opposition and protests to the final EIR and specific plan by some special interest groups and citizens.
We MUST attend in LARGE #'s (on 03/04/15) to support this step moving forward, and show the planning commission and city council that they are correct in certifying and adopting this plan into order.

Please make plans NOW to attend this session, and spread the word amongst all of your friends and family.

Without this plan being approved, Coliseum City does not happen. Hope to see you all there for a historic event in the transformation of the Coliseum area, and retention of our sports teams.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/CAOAKL/bulletins/eec8b1#.VNLRVfGcJ8Q.facebook

Coliseum Area Specific Plan – Final Draft January 2015
http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/ceda/documents/policy/oak051365.pdf

if you don't try and make your voice be heard and spread the word to sports fan you know in the bay area,then you have nobody to blame for losing the Raiders AGAIN as well as the A's but yourself.

if you don't try and make your voice be heard and spread the word to sports fan you know in the bay area,then you have nobody to blame for losing the Raiders AGAIN as well as the A's but yourself.

Wow, I carry a heavy burden on my shoulders.

Hey just thought YOU might care so i actually THOUGHT you would want to know.

strange that I who live here in the Midwest,is much more concerned about it than you are.If we were living in a star trek world,I would have beamed myself over there to that meeting the other night.lol I talked with one of the two founders of that group last night.

Okay if you don't care then,my mistake for assuming so,sorry to bother you.wont keep you updated anymore if that's the case.

I'd love to see what Beane could do for a team that spends money.

I think it's more interesting watching him do what he does with duct tape and bailing wire. You never know what's going to happen, but I think this year is Beane's magnum opus.

Forum List

Back