Money/Welfare and Kids

Well: family caps. What state are you in?

The OP didn’t indicate the woman in question was receiving TANF/Cash assistance, only Food Stamps and housing assistance, neither of which are ‘welfare.’ TANF recipients are required to be in school and/or perform community service, TANF also has a life-time limit, usually four to six years.

For almost 20 years now conservatives have attempted to address this issue in a punitive context, with the expected failure.

The 1996 Welfare Reform Act was a fundamental failure because it was mostly punitive, lacking little in employment and training provisions.

That remains the problem today, any serious discussion with regard to public assistance must address the issue of employment and training, which has been mostly ignored for purely political reasons.

Well, their heads are surely somewhere else.

Yes their heads are.... their heads are following the free money trail and what they need to do to get more of it.

I actually don't think so ... They are just baby crazy and want more babies, they just don't realize the reality of it ... or they don't want to.

Then not getting a check or a bigger check wont matter to them...right?

Sorry.... what they are addicted to is ... the enabling.

If life was HARD for them having babies...and more babies on top of babies..... they would not love it so much.

Well, their heads are surely somewhere else.

Yes their heads are.... their heads are following the free money trail and what they need to do to get more of it.

I actually don't think so ... They are just baby crazy and want more babies, they just don't realize the reality of it ... or they don't want to.

Sorry, but I'm with Syrenn on this. They know the financial benefits of having more children, thus they continue to have them. I daresay they've inherited this selfish attitude from their own parents who had them or their siblings to increase or supplement their income. A vicious cycle indeed.

Last edited:

Sorry, but I'm with Syrenn on this. They know the financial benefits of having more children, thus they continue to have them. I daresay they've inherited this selfish attitude from their own parents who had them or their siblings to increase or supplement their income. A vicious cycle indeed.

I am not even sure they receive any welfare when it comes to the child. I'd be speculating, but they didn't mention it, so I can't suspect it. From their posts it really seems they're doing it for their love of babies, not because they're 'profit-hungry'. I don't see them as that type of folks. I'm sure there's folks like that around, but I don't think those women are one of them ... They're young girls that don't realize the consequences yet.

I read this as Money/Welfare and Kurds.

geezer.gif

We have the same issue in Canada. Welfare mothers with ten babies. I'm not sure there is anyway around it though.

Let them starve? What can one do?

You can stop enabling them to behave badly. Simple.

I think the problem of having more children you cant afford in the first place would disappear.... if they know UP FRONT.... no more money will come their way if more children are presented....and they will have to make do with the check they have...or have to make do with the housing they are getting. Sorry... you will not be getting a bigger apartment.... if you have one bedroom and 10 kids.... though shit on you for having them.

So, the person has another baby. Cut them off?

There needs to be another avenue if they are cut off. There's no avenue here in Canada. Hopefully America can overcome this issue.

I am not even sure they receive any welfare when it comes to the child. I'd be speculating, but they didn't mention it, so I can't suspect it. From their posts it really seems they're doing it for their love of babies, not because they're 'profit-hungry'. I don't see them as that type of folks. I'm sure there's folks like that around, but I don't think those women are one of them ... They're young girls that don't realize the consequences yet.

when you say young... how young?

If they have no job or husband.... you can bet they are on assistance.

The OP didn’t indicate the woman in question was receiving TANF/Cash assistance, only Food Stamps and housing assistance, neither of which are ‘welfare.’

Indeed, neither of those is welfare. But nobody calls welfare TANF (any more than they call food stamps SNAP), which is why I took it at face value that the OP--and subsequent posters--was actually talking about welfare when she used the word. Which can, and in many states does, have family caps that deny benefits to additional children.

You are living in two different realities. Their reality is the reality of entitlements and they government owes them a living....ZERO personal responsibility. You live in the reality of working for a living, no one owes you anything...and you HAVE personal responsibility.

[/COLOR]

Unfortunately, BIG Government "entitlements" becomes the enabler of creating a society that becomes totally dependant upon them. That government in turn, looks down at those who successfully break away from that enslavement of control and is able to build a 'independent' responsible life for themselves. It's a backwards philosophy that demonizes the successful, and rewards (through dependancy) those the government subdues through jealousy that "simply can not make it".

I find there is a conflict between two realities emposed by two very different systems of government. One is Big Government that satisfies its power through discouragement, demonize and jealousy of the successful, with supression into dependancy. The other is a government that encourages and uplifts rather than suppresses. Believing in the persuit of individual abilities, while unlocking the limitless creative freedoms that can be found within each of us. One that empowers the "individual" by rewarding [not punishing] hard work and its achievements through personal responsibility. Where the true empowerment rests upon 'we the people' that holds it's government accountable.

Forum List

Back