Money: The Root of All Evil

I was badgered with this rhetoric that money was at the root of all the world's problems this past weekend. Ironically, I paid for the date. This is the converse of the antagon world view. Where does it come from? Other than relying on others for subsistence, how can people reconcile this mindset and a regimen of survival in a cash-operated society?

Anyone out there who maintains this outlook on the almighty dollar please enlighten.

Those who promote the concept that Money is the Root of All Evil are generally playing a guilt trip in order to get someone else to PAY (just as you did for the date).

I think the "money is the root of all evil" cliche comes from a deep-seeded negative feeling about valuing material objects over compassion for other people. It's an unworkable cliche once you look at reality and what valuing commodities has done for human progress in general... but there's no shortage of people my age who find some truth in the cliche, especially when the news is filled with corporations and their "issues".

Silky, it's still a misquote.

Yeah I know. Well actually I didn't know that until I read your's and BM's posts. But I hear people repeat it, and I think when a person says it with conviction it shows a mindset about how that person views humanity.

I think the "money is the root of all evil" cliche comes from a deep-seeded negative feeling about valuing material objects over compassion for other people. It's an unworkable cliche once you look at reality and what valuing commodities has done for human progress in general... but there's no shortage of people my age who find some truth in the cliche, especially when the news is filled with corporations and their "issues".

Yeah I know. Well actually I didn't know that until I read your's and BM's posts. But I hear people repeat it, and I think when a person says it with conviction it shows a mindset about how that person views humanity.

Actually if the got the quote correct they would have a better view of it. Excluding the "love of" puts the emphasis on a harmless, inanimate object. Including the "love of" puts the emphasis right where it belongs, on people.

this isn't the only time i've had one of these conversations. the quote itself is just the slogan. behind it is the belief that 'cash kills', 'cash corrupts'... the presumption that people who make a good living somehow do so at the direct expense of others or that financial gains above the average are ill-gotten. last saturday was the whole lot: close to maniacal persistence on the theme.

i didn't argue much, but i'm sure she realized all of that talk was like running fingernails on a blackboard to me.

People that say that idiocy don't know the joys of going to the Salvation Army to get a toy for you kids, or shopping at the dollar store for Christamas Presents b/c you don't want to kill that little joy in your children.

Get what you need out of that twit and dump her.

That would be abusive.

I would refer you back to the original quote.

The problem Paul was writing about was that, in the beter set of words by Terry Pratchett, seeing things as more important than people, and seeing people as things.

People that say that idiocy don't know the joys of going to the Salvation Army to get a toy for you kids, or shopping at the dollar store for Christamas Presents b/c you don't want to kill that little joy in your children.

Get what you need out of that twit and dump her.

she's actually a promising antagon ideological reprogramming candidate.

she certainly hasn't raised any kids and hasn't transitioned to full-floating adulthood herself. i don't think she's had to endure much hardship growing up this far, either. the prevailing argument was that suffering the salvation army christmas was a demo of money's evil way of making itself scarce to so many people round the world.

I was badgered with this rhetoric that money was at the root of all the world's problems this past weekend. Ironically, I paid for the date. This is the converse of the antagon world view. Where does it come from? Other than relying on others for subsistence, how can people reconcile this mindset and a regimen of survival in a cash-operated society?

Anyone out there who maintains this outlook on the almighty dollar please enlighten.

I can't explain it as good as this. But this is what you must see if yuo want to get to the root of the issue. Please watch it and tell me what you think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GK_fRM8SO0]1 of 2 Money, the root of all evil? Francisco d'Anconia - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyE0KRgbg4]2 of 2 Money, the root of all evil? Francisco d'Anconia - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
"Evil, because it would not pinch-hit for your self-respect?"

...Had to pause and pay homage to that.

I've read that before. I like the way it is split between the two videos. It unravels in the second, while I could play the first vid over breakfast daily.

Any idea on who's reading?

Forum List

Back