Money: The Root of All Evil

antagon

The Man
Dec 6, 2009
I was badgered with this rhetoric that money was at the root of all the world's problems this past weekend. Ironically, I paid for the date. This is the converse of the antagon world view. Where does it come from? Other than relying on others for subsistence, how can people reconcile this mindset and a regimen of survival in a cash-operated society?

Anyone out there who maintains this outlook on the almighty dollar please enlighten.

I was badgered with this rhetoric that money was at the root of all the world's problems this past weekend. Ironically, I paid for the date. This is the converse of the antagon world view. Where does it come from? Other than relying on others for subsistence, how can people reconcile this mindset and a regimen of survival in a cash-operated society?

Anyone out there who maintains this outlook on the almighty dollar please enlighten.

It's a misquote from the bible.

It is a misquote.

The love of money is the root of all evil is closer to the biblical quotation.

If you wish to read the context, it is at 1 timothy 6:10.

I don't read the book all that often, but I believe it is in the context of worshiping various false idols.

Money in itself is neither good or bad. What folks do in order to get it, and the fact that they worship it is the evil part.

Last edited:

All joking aside, wow. I copied and pasted this, and all I got was what you wrote*.

Only people who have never been poor say that shit.

I'd venture to bet you date fits in that category.

How expensive was her handbag?

All joking aside, wow. I copied and pasted this, and all I got was what you wrote*.

heh?

Only people who have never been poor say that shit.

I'd venture to bet you date fits in that category.

How expensive was her handbag?

she is ballin'. she suppresses it with the gypsy look. i dont remember her bag, but the hybrid civic and the sunglasses gave it away. i really don't know this chick but she's a student with no job and a decent apartment.

stripper or daddy's girl. pays 1:2

i've known some big-league broke folk who subscribe to this shtick, though. live outside broke.

she is ballin'. she suppresses it with the gypsy look. i dont remember her bag, but the hybrid civic and the sunglasses gave it away. i really don't know this chick but she's a student with no job and a decent apartment.

i've known some big-league broke folk who subscribe to this shtick, though. live outside broke.

Definitely not a stripper. If you ever want to meet someone who knows the value of a dollar, talk to a stripper. Despite what Hollywood says, they are doing it for the money and not to write their doctoral thesis on deviant sexual behavior or put themselves through Med School/Law School.

I knew so many girls like that in college. It's so cliche that it is almost lame. I guess it's better than being a spoiled brat, but not much. At any rate, her final destination is the country club. As for the latter, I'd call that a defense mechanism.

I think most people recognize currency for what it is. Most of us simply want to make a decent living and make some sort of mark on society. My motivation for going to college was growing up on a farm.

Last edited:
Some day I even hope to get some decent man-boobs then I can divorce my wife.

Definitely not a stripper. If you ever want to meet someone who knows the value of a dollar, talk to a stripper. Despite what Hollywood says, they are doing it for the money and not to write their doctoral thesis on deviant sexual behavior or put themselves through Med School/Law School.

I knew so many girls like that in college. It's so cliche that it is almost lame. I guess it's better than being a spoiled brat, but not much. At any rate, her final destination is the country club. As for the latter, I'd call that a defense mechanism.

I think most people recognize currency for what it is. Most of us simply want to make a decent living and make some sort of mark on society. My motivation for going to college was growing up on a farm.

before you cast that bet, account for the vegas factor. in las vegas every 3rd chick under 30y/o and 130# is some kind of stripper or worse. over 30-35: a cocktail waitress or dealer.

I think the "money is the root of all evil" cliche comes from a deep-seeded negative feeling about valuing material objects over compassion for other people. It's an unworkable cliche once you look at reality and what valuing commodities has done for human progress in general... but there's no shortage of people my age who find some truth in the cliche, especially when the news is filled with corporations and their "issues".

I think the "money is the root of all evil" cliche comes from a deep-seeded negative feeling about valuing material objects over compassion for other people. It's an unworkable cliche once you look at reality and what valuing commodities has done for human progress in general... but there's no shortage of people my age who find some truth in the cliche, especially when the news is filled with corporations and their "issues".

Silky, it's still a misquote.

Forum List

Back