Money Talks Or Discipline Walks! Should We Pay Students To Learn?

Discussion in 'Education' started by sidneyworld, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sidneyworld

sidneyworld Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Placing the value of money over the value of integrity and personal achievement is the most current message we are sending to our children in this country. And it's working. It's working because of the disproportion of wealth in crime especially within inner city areas, and the utter lack of parental supervision and motivation which enables the temptation to get involved in easy money for vulnerable kids who are by all means easy targets. Crime is the cash cow these days.

Cash for Grades — The Responsibility Project

Anne Marie

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    No.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,757
    My folks never gave me money for getting good grades in school. They did, however, beat my butt if I didn't get good grades. It was a pretty fair arrangement. I'd get good grades and they would lay off the butt... Seemed to work out pretty well back in the old days. Guess spanking a kids ass for not getting good grades is sort of out of style these days. Wonder if it would still work????

4. sidneyworld

sidneyworld Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In a politically correct society, that would be considered a form of child abuse. Go figure.

Anne Marie

5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    no! Shit I pay to learn right now.
    There is already a problem with children and teenagers these days who think they are entitled to everything. They think they should get an award for everything they and we should feel lucky that they have graced us with their presence.

6. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Education has it's own awards. Those awards are worth far more than any amount of money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I don't think it should be through the government. I think if your going to use this as a reward it needs to come from someone close to the child. My dad made a deal with me when I was in high school. For every A he'd give me $100, B for $50, nothing for C, I'd owe him $50 for every D, and would owe $100 for every F. I never got a report card lower than a B after that.

8. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,089
    Why can't students understand that education has its own rewards? If a child doesn't know that education will open doors and make returns that are not necessarily financial, the parent has failed his/her job. As a child, I knew that my primary job was to go to school and do well. Paying someone to go to school is plain wrong.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    It is a way to subjugate the child's mind early on by a socialized educational system.

10. stf410

stf410 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do not support the concept of paying students to go to school. The institutions that are paying these students are not preparing them to pursue higher education. It appears to me that the intention is to pay the students to finish high school so that the alarming statistics of high school drop-outs will decline. However, most of the students who are paid to go to high school will have no interest in attending College or University, since there are no financial rewards for their attendance.