Money over principle

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Los Angeles Times
September 22, 2005

Harvard Lifts Ban On Military Recruiters

By Times Wire Reports

Harvard has reversed its policy of barring the Pentagon from using its law school's career services office for recruiting. Harvard contends that the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays violates the university's guidelines on nondiscrimination.

The policy was reversed after the Pentagon warned it would enforce a law requiring campuses to offer recruiting access or risk losing federal grants.

And that my friends, is the bottom line. You can take the stance that you don't want recruiters on your campus. The government does not have to give you money. That's how it works. I like it that way too.

I think it's only fair, I mean shit, the gov't is giving you money, let them put some recruiters on campus. Plus who are the Deans to say that no one wants to work for the gov't?

I like it this way too.

USMCDevilDog said:
I think it's only fair, I mean shit, the gov't is giving you money, let them put some recruiters on campus. Plus who are the Deans to say that no one wants to work for the gov't?

I like it this way too.

If you do it for narrow self-interest rather than patriotism, I trust you more.

God bless the almightly dollar.

Surprised it took this long. Usually when Uncle Warbucks stops the cash, capitulation is quicker.

The people most hurt by Harvard's assinine "no military recruiters" policy are the law students who cannot interview with the military on campus. Not everyone in law school gets courted by top firms, and many need to interview as widely as possible to get a good job. On-campus interviews are much easier than sending out resumes cold. By depriving students of convenient opportunities like these, Harvard does their students a geat disservice.

As a side note, I interviewed with the Army while in law school, and discovered that if I joined (I didn't), I would join with the rank of Captain, and would probably have more immediate trial experience than I would have with a firm in a long, long time. Not a bad deal.

Forum List

Back