Monday

so we are gonna do wednesday? tuesday was okay at best....i need good day

anyone ever seen that twilight zone with wm shatner....no not the gremilin on the plane one...the other one...where he and his wife...stop at a cafe and become slaves to a fortune telling machine?

I'm not gonna be the first to do Weds. Let Di stick his toe in and decide if it's doable. Otherwise, I'm staying in and looking for that episode online.

so we are gonna do wednesday? tuesday was okay at best....i need good day

anyone ever seen that twilight zone with wm shatner....no not the gremilin on the plane one...the other one...where he and his wife...stop at a cafe and become slaves to a fortune telling machine?

I'm not gonna be the first to do Weds. Let Di stick his toe in and decide if it's doable. Otherwise, I'm staying in and looking for that episode online.

Di already gave weds the thumbs up, except for traffic around sydney

Just reporting in. Wednesday was okay, but I'm knackered something chronic, it was a full on day. Just be careful, if someone asks you to do something tell them to get stuffed, you don't want to overdo it.

That's one thing I'm never asked to do, write code. My superordinates even get worried if I approach a spreadsheet or.....access the mainframe....:eusa_eh:

When I set up a network ... no one else touches it if the company ever wants me to come back. Last time a small business called a tech support company, they were sent some degree earning putz who made a mess of it. I wound up just restoring it from backups then having to redo some work I had already done once before I could make the changes they actually needed. The moron with the degree added a ton of extra crap (software) that wasn't even needed, then when their network slowed to a crawl they wondered why ... eventually they called me back up and after a few hours I got it back up running to speed. Then when I finally made the changes they only needed a 2K script I cranked out by hand to allow for the server to understand one additional document format.

Sorry if I lost you, about the only good thing people with degrees can do better is word it right. Needless to say, it was something simple which didn't need nearly as much garbage as the other person thought it did. So yeah, the most reliable techies tend to get nervous when another person mucks with their work.

I'm just an end user, nothing remotely techie about me. I do have to access an ancient HRMS system but I try not to spend too much time in it just in case I pick up a nasty disease.

Funny story though. A few weeks ago my internet connection at work packed up. I need it because of the work I do so I go onto the help desk and it took about three days whlie they tried to work out why it packed up. Meantime I was using my home computer at home in after work hours and trying to catch up with stuff I needed to have done for work. The tech folks couldn't work out what went wrong with the work (XP) computer. They were ready to haul the pc in for an interrogation in a room with a naked light bulb, a table, three chairs and some unshaven detectives when I worked it out for myself. The system had upgraded its connection (Novell) stuff (see I'm full of technical knowledge). So I just used that MS thingie where you go back to where it was last week or something. Bingo. Worked. See, never let me near technical stuff :D

I'm just an end user, nothing remotely techie about me. I do have to access an ancient HRMS system but I try not to spend too much time in it just in case I pick up a nasty disease.

Funny story though. A few weeks ago my internet connection at work packed up. I need it because of the work I do so I go onto the help desk and it took about three days whlie they tried to work out why it packed up. Meantime I was using my home computer at home in after work hours and trying to catch up with stuff I needed to have done for work. The tech folks couldn't work out what went wrong with the work (XP) computer. They were ready to haul the pc in for an interrogation in a room with a naked light bulb, a table, three chairs and some unshaven detectives when I worked it out for myself. The system had upgraded its connection (Novell) stuff (see I'm full of technical knowledge). So I just used that MS thingie where you go back to where it was last week or something. Bingo. Worked. See, never let me near technical stuff :D

LOL ... just goes to show, sometimes the best techie for the job is the least educated. It's kind of odd that the techies with degrees just can't think outside of the box. In the real world not everything works as planned, nor is all the hardware "up-to-date", even then some of it doesn't work the with the newer programs ... period. So you have to either "rollback", as you did, or just write it from scratch (one reason Linux is so great, a lot of stuff you can just script through Python or bash it without even writing full size programs while still retaining great security). Your story also demonstrates how MS fucks up, and why so many people have problems. You either have to know a lot about the OS and computer and manually control the updates, or you can pray they don't try to upgrade something that shouldn't be.

On the downside.

I'm hiding out. the IT Nazis are after me. I work in a total surveillance environment. They asked me about the wind back thingie and I played dumb (I have the inside running on that one). So far so good. The pc is still working. I can still access the internet and still do work. But I'm waiting for the 0930 hours knock on my work station when I look up to see a cadre of unsmiling thugs from IT who are ready to whizz me off to their version of Gitmo. I know how it's going to go.

Someone must have been telling lies about D. he knew he had
done nothing wrong but, one morning, he was arrested......

:eek:

Okay for the slow ones, today is Thursday.

It's going to be hot again, 39c, but that's a doddle when you consider 45c. No rain of course. The whole bloody place is covered in a fine patina of bulldust. You wash your car (using an auto wash that recycles the liquid gold we call 'water') and five minutes later it's covered in bulldust again.

Got to go and give the wild birds their water now.

Forum List

Back