Mom's Kitchen Cafe

I have stir fry, which I love because everything can be chopped up and stored ahead of time to just be thrown together on the spot while the rice is steaming.

I have taco meatloaf on the list. You add some tomato paste, taco seasoning, and shredded cheese.

Would love the chicken recipes. :)

My pleasure!

The Chicken Paprika recipe was in a small cookbook that came with a crock pot given to me by my parents as a wedding gift 48 years ago - I still use the crock pot which is also a slow cooker and a deep fryer - as the crock is removable. Anyway - heirloom recipe, I'd say...adjust as necessary. :)

4-5 lbs chicken pieces, bone in............................................................1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup water.....................................................................................1 tsp salt
1 cube chicken bouillon........................................................................1/2 tsp pepper
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I always used canned).....1/4 tsp oregano, crushed
1 green pepper, chopped.....................................................................1/4 c flour
1/2 cup chopped onion..........................................................................1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons paprika..........................................................................1 cup sour cream.

Put all ingredients except last three into pot. Stir well.
Cover and cook 9-10 hours (medium setting)
Remove chicken pieces
Blend flour and water and stir into pot
Stir gently until slightly thickened
Blend in sour cream, add chicken back in - let warm back up (do not boil)
Serve over rice or noodles

Also found a similar updated version on line, tho I would not want the heat...
Manitoba Chicken : SLOW COOKER CHICKEN PAPRIKASH

Oven Baked Chicken and Yellow Rice -
my sil taught me this method.

I large pkg Vigo, 16 oz (or any brand) yellow rice mix.
Any combination of bone-in or boneless chicken pieces - I use boneless, skinless thighs cut in half
1 small can tiny sweet peas
Roasting pan with lid - Oven at 350

On stovetop, in roasting pan (I use a black enamel roaster pan) - brown chicken pieces on each side - in olive oil if skinless...leave in pan. Add 4 cups water (per recipe on back of rice pkg) - bring to boil. Stir rice and seasoning into chicken and water. Boil and stir one minute. Cover and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes - remove from oven and sprinkle drained peas on top - return to oven for 5 minutes. It's best to let it rest for a few minutes with cover on before serving. I put the whole pan in the middle of the table for serving. Add warm crusty bread or garlic bread and salad. Enjoy!

Sounds really good. I'll have to test it out on the fam.

Marry me!

I think my husband might object.

I would just be there for meals... Nothing more attractive than a woman that can cook...

EVERYONE in my immediate family can cook to some degree, because I refuse to allow them to wander into the world, incapable of feeding themselves more nutritiously than takeout food. I cannot comprehend why there are so many people in this world to whom the kitchen is merely a place to store their microwave and frozen dinners.

So tonight, I threw together baked ravioli with frozen three-cheese raviolis and leftover sauce from the spaghetti. Delicious, and incredibly easy, which was wonderful, since I came home feeling a little sick and with a stabbing backache.

Marry me!

I think my husband might object.

I would just be there for meals... Nothing more attractive than a woman that can cook...

EVERYONE in my immediate family can cook to some degree, because I refuse to allow them to wander into the world, incapable of feeding themselves more nutritiously than takeout food. I cannot comprehend why there are so many people in this world to whom the kitchen is merely a place to store their microwave and frozen dinners.

I agree whole heartedly... I have been cooking for fifty years... Owned a Diner at one time... I just get burnt out at times (mentally not the food) and it is nice to enjoy someone else's culinary delights... My first wife (whom I live with) cooks very little so if there are meals prepared at home I do it... I made sure both of our kids had basic skills in the kitchen... My daughter has become an exceptional cook and prepares healthy meals... I use bacon grease in everything...

I agree whole heartedly... I have been cooking for fifty years... Owned a Diner at one time... I just get burnt out at times (mentally not the food) and it is nice to enjoy someone else's culinary delights... My first wife (whom I live with) cooks very little so if there are meals prepared at home I do it... I made sure both of our kids had basic skills in the kitchen... My daughter has become an exceptional cook and prepares healthy meals... I use bacon grease in everything...

Bacon grease - nectar of the gods. :)

The chicken and yellow rice dish can easily resemble Paella or Jambalaya with the addition of sautéed bell peppers, onions, diced tomatoes, white wine, smoked sausage and shrimp/crawfish and or mussels. Maybe not a weeknight dinner, but it is easy and looks impressive when sitting in the middle of the table for a special occasion. Feeds at least 6 adults.

i would be critical of all this bacon grease had i not made bacon and brussel sprouts last night...

with the cold today.....beans and country ham in slow cooker.. with a cake of cornbread

I started a new project this weekend that I'm really proud of, and wanted to share.

I'm sure every mom here has encountered the rut their families get into of being asked, "What do you want for dinner?" and answering the same three or four dishes over and over, mostly because they just can't remember all the things they've had in the past that they liked. Mine certainly does this, and I get utterly bored with those meals and want to add some variety to our diets.

To this end, I went through my cookbooks and compiled a list of dishes I have made in the past, or would be willing to make in the future. I accompanied them with a short description from the cookbook. Just for the sake of whimsy, I formatted them as a menu from a restaurant called Mom's Kitchen Cafe, and emailed it to my guys as though it was a promotion from a new restaurant.

Now we can sit down on Friday night or Saturday morning, pull up the menu, and decide what we want to have for the next week. Then I go shop for ingredients on Saturday, spend Sunday prepping anything that can be made ahead of time and stored, and throughout the week, I just pop the ingredients into the slow cooker, pot, or pan, and voila! Tasty, homemade meals that don't require the exhausted mom (Me!) to come home from work and slave in the kitchen, and no need to eat the same damn stuff every night.

I am also accepting any suggestions people might have for new dishes I can add to the restaurant menu.
That is much too democratic for my tastes. I am the chef. I decide what's for dinner and make it. I seldom get any complaints but if I do, I tell them don't eat it.

I started a new project this weekend that I'm really proud of, and wanted to share.

I'm sure every mom here has encountered the rut their families get into of being asked, "What do you want for dinner?" and answering the same three or four dishes over and over, mostly because they just can't remember all the things they've had in the past that they liked. Mine certainly does this, and I get utterly bored with those meals and want to add some variety to our diets.

To this end, I went through my cookbooks and compiled a list of dishes I have made in the past, or would be willing to make in the future. I accompanied them with a short description from the cookbook. Just for the sake of whimsy, I formatted them as a menu from a restaurant called Mom's Kitchen Cafe, and emailed it to my guys as though it was a promotion from a new restaurant.

Now we can sit down on Friday night or Saturday morning, pull up the menu, and decide what we want to have for the next week. Then I go shop for ingredients on Saturday, spend Sunday prepping anything that can be made ahead of time and stored, and throughout the week, I just pop the ingredients into the slow cooker, pot, or pan, and voila! Tasty, homemade meals that don't require the exhausted mom (Me!) to come home from work and slave in the kitchen, and no need to eat the same damn stuff every night.

I am also accepting any suggestions people might have for new dishes I can add to the restaurant menu.
That is much too democratic for my tastes. I am the chef. I decide what's for dinner and make it. I seldom get any complaints but if I do, I tell them don't eat it.

Yeah, well, all the recipes on the menu were chosen by me, so I can let them request favorites from my selections. It gives the illusion of free will, while actually still being in my control.

The choices are a lot more controlled by what the store has on sale than by any of us, anyway.

I wrote a small cookbook for my two grown kids and gave it to them for Christmas a year ago. It's what they wanted, so they could make Dad's food at their house.

I wrote a small cookbook for my two grown kids and gave it to them for Christmas a year ago. It's what they wanted, so they could make Dad's food at their house.

Such a great idea!

My mother and I (she's in her late 80's) are putting together a 'family' cookbook for my niece as a wedding gift. We have many old family recipes, as well as some of our own to share. I plan to include a photo of and a little bio on each relative whose recipe we use. Many of whom she's never met as they are long gone.

I have all my best recipes collected in a book for my kids, too. I like to think it will be a family treasure when I'm gone.

Forum List

Back