Moment of Silence on USMB for 9/11/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you one of those guys that yells out "WOOOOO HOOOOO!!! FUKKIN' A!!!" at a baseball stadium when there is a moment of silence for a recently passed away hall-of-famer?

No.

As I said. Do your own thing in your threads. Just don't believe you should have everyone else on the internet stop for you outside that thread. This is not your baseball stadium remembering a baseball player.

USMB is the stadium.

The forums are the sections.

The threads are the rows.

The posts are the seats.

The stadium should be silent for 1/72nd of a day.

Of course it's not "useful". It's an act, or the cessation of activity, for 20 minutes to contemplate and give honor to those who died.

Everything doesn't have to be useful.

In the whole scheme of things...is anything that we do on here really useful?

i appreciate modbert's intentions, however, i don't think in the end the idea is of any use. how does our refraining from posting honor those who died on 9/11? for 20 minutes? i don't get it.

i was in post grad school when this happened, many students wanted a day of mourning or silence. the admin wouldn't give it. and it pissed many students off. when i attended my afternoon class, the prof, an expert in his field and highly regarded and who had worked at top firms, said something like this:

we can't take a day off, we can't stop doing our duties and we can't stop making this country run. what happened is horrible, but to stop for them, gives them the win. we have to show them that their terrorist attack did not terrorize us and that we still live our lives.

he was of course much more eloquent, and i do understand why people want and need a moment of silence or 20 minutes of no posting, i just feel that to remember them, is to remember and live our lives without a 20 minute break from posting.

I understand what you're saying, and in most circumstances I'd agree with you completely. But I see a difference between a relatively brief period of silence set aside in memory of those lost and stopping life. It does have a constructive purpose, especially for those who are still hurting. And believe it or not there will be many people hurting tomorrow who will want to take time to reflect and remember, and be grateful for the support of others in doing so.

It's all right to agree to disagree, which is why it shouldn't be mandatory or anything shut down. People remember in their own ways. But it's not wrong to want to participate either.

agreed. i just saw many posts berating those who didn't want to participate, or maybe that was something else, i just skimmed it, and i want people to understand its not mandatory like many were wanting. we all remember in our own ways and in our own time.

often, we can be best served not by making it a public calling, rather, remember in your own way and let others do so as well. i don't agree with calling people out on a message board to not post. smacks of narcissism. i am all about inviting people to join me in something, but to tell people we should have this moment of reflection, imo, is contrary the spirit of their memories and lives.

i appreciate modbert's intentions, however, i don't think in the end the idea is of any use. how does our refraining from posting honor those who died on 9/11? for 20 minutes? i don't get it.

i was in post grad school when this happened, many students wanted a day of mourning or silence. the admin wouldn't give it. and it pissed many students off. when i attended my afternoon class, the prof, an expert in his field and highly regarded and who had worked at top firms, said something like this:

we can't take a day off, we can't stop doing our duties and we can't stop making this country run. what happened is horrible, but to stop for them, gives them the win. we have to show them that their terrorist attack did not terrorize us and that we still live our lives.

he was of course much more eloquent, and i do understand why people want and need a moment of silence or 20 minutes of no posting, i just feel that to remember them, is to remember and live our lives without a 20 minute break from posting.

I understand what you're saying, and in most circumstances I'd agree with you completely. But I see a difference between a relatively brief period of silence set aside in memory of those lost and stopping life. It does have a constructive purpose, especially for those who are still hurting. And believe it or not there will be many people hurting tomorrow who will want to take time to reflect and remember, and be grateful for the support of others in doing so.

It's all right to agree to disagree, which is why it shouldn't be mandatory or anything shut down. People remember in their own ways. But it's not wrong to want to participate either.

I also like to think of it as us coming together as a community to do something...even though it is small, seemingly meaningless, and won't make much of a different.

Sort of like when Bootneck was given rep. It didn't help him in any way...but it was appreciated.

Sort of like the boot in my sig...

Of course it's not "useful". It's an act, or the cessation of activity, for 20 minutes to contemplate and give honor to those who died.

Oh surely something is useful...

but again, who says everything has to be useful to be valid? Not me.

Oh surely something is useful...

but again, who says everything has to be useful to be valid? Not me.

Me neither. I am barely useful, but I'm not a complete invalid.

I make nice sigs.

agreed. i just saw many posts berating those who didn't want to participate, or maybe that was something else, i just skimmed it, and i want people to understand its not mandatory like many were wanting. we all remember in our own ways and in our own time.

often, we can be best served not by making it a public calling, rather, remember in your own way and let others do so as well. i don't agree with calling people out on a message board to not post. smacks of narcissism. i am all about inviting people to join me in something, but to tell people we should have this moment of reflection, imo, is contrary the spirit of their memories and lives.

I think the berating, at least for my part, was for the people who will post incendiary garbage and basically act like scum to troll the board on the anniversary. Not for people who simply don't wish to participate in a period of silence but are respectful of others and the day.

I also like to think of it as us coming together as a community to do something...even though it is small, seemingly meaningless, and won't make much of a different.

Sort of like when Bootneck was given rep. It didn't help him in any way...but it was appreciated.

Exactly. :clap2:

I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless though. There are plenty of people who are members of this board who will appreciate the community's support in memory of those they lost and find comfort in it on a very difficult day. That alone is worth the minimal effort. Thank you.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that they're not allowed to post during the moment of silence. I never said that. Hence why this is a suggestion and not a decree. If someone else had recommended this, I would of sticky it as well.

I don't think anyone is saying take the day off or stop running the country. Taking twenty minutes out of your time to not post partisan bullshit is not a hard thing to do. You can both remember and live our lives and honor those who died.

I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless though. There are plenty of people who are members of this board who will appreciate the community's support in memory of those they lost and find comfort in it on a very difficult day. That alone is worth the minimal effort. Thank you.

That's why I said seemingly meaningless.

In reality, it is quite meaningful.

It's the thought that counts.

I don't think anyone is saying take the day off or stop running the country. Taking twenty minutes out of your time to not post partisan bullshit is not a hard thing to do. You can both remember and live our lives and honor those who died.

you said NO POSTS...now you're changing it to partisan bullshit

its either a moment of silence or its not...i respect your wishes and desire for such, i just don't think you needed to call out others and tell them they should observe this moment

That's why I said seemingly meaningless.

In reality, it is quite meaningful.

It's the thought that counts.

what if your thoughts are meaningless?

This of course will not be enforced, but you can expect PI levels of neg rep from if you post during those times. Fair warning.

its either a moment of silence or its not...i respect your wishes and desire for such, i just don't think you needed to call out others and tell them they should observe this moment

Shut the fuck up.

i see your point, i would hope that you would see those who don't feel a 20 minute "silence" on this board as necessary as not part of the "community"....

for instance, i didn't rep bootneck because i wasn't posting here when he was around and felt it wouldn't mean the same to him as if he and i engaged in discussion or debate....doesn't mean i respect him less or wish him less...

maybe its because i recently lost my brother and feel differently about death and remembrance, i don't know

Shut the fuck up.

?

the fuck is your problem....

Thread closed. Modbert says there will be a moment of silence. See the first post for details. Expect massive amounts of neg rep from me if you post during that time. Cry all you want about rep abuse. I don't care. I won't be around to hear you cry about it anyway.

End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back