Mom forces son to kill hamster for bad grades

My how quickly the presumption of innocence is thrown overboard.

You're right. The kid could've made up the whole story, for example. We'll see what happens next.

Meriwether County sheriff Steve Whitlock told CBS Atlanta Thursday that the 12-year-old boy told his teacher about the killing.

Whitlock knows the mom personally. CBS Atlanta asked him if this is something that the son could have made up.

The sheriff says it happened.

“The mother was really upset and she proceeded to punish the child in a strange manner,” said Whitlock.

Geter is a dental hygienist and a former daycare provider who used to care for kids out of her Warm Springs home.

She has three kids including the 12-year-old son who came home from Manchester Middle School last week with bad grades.

Allegedly, Geter also hit her son. Teachers at the school noticed marks on the boy’s neck the next day.

Investigators said Geter also violated probation and remains in jail.

Police: Georgia Mom Forced Son To Kill Hamster - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Oh well if the sheriff said it happened then may as well forego the trial, forget about presumption of innocence...just lock the bitch up! Case closed. :cuckoo:

You're right. The kid could've made up the whole story, for example. We'll see what happens next.

Meriwether County sheriff Steve Whitlock told CBS Atlanta Thursday that the 12-year-old boy told his teacher about the killing.

Whitlock knows the mom personally. CBS Atlanta asked him if this is something that the son could have made up.

“The mother was really upset and she proceeded to punish the child in a strange manner,” said Whitlock.

Geter is a dental hygienist and a former daycare provider who used to care for kids out of her Warm Springs home.

She has three kids including the 12-year-old son who came home from Manchester Middle School last week with bad grades.

Allegedly, Geter also hit her son. Teachers at the school noticed marks on the boy’s neck the next day.

Police: Georgia Mom Forced Son To Kill Hamster - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Oh well if the sheriff said it happened then may as well forego the trial, forget about presumption of innocence...just lock the bitch up! Case closed. :cuckoo:

In a court of law, you need a preponderance of evidence

In the court of public opinion, all you need is an appearance of guilt

Oh don't be silly. I was pointing out that the sheriff knows her personally and claims it really happened. He wasn't speaking as LE there.

BTW:

Investigators said what happened inside a Meriwether County home was a horrific act of violence. But the mother – 38-year-old Lynn Geter -- calls the incident punishment.

"She said she wasn't going to put up with his bad grades," said Meriwether Sheriff Steve WIlcox.

As soon as her 12-year-old son got home from school with those bad grades, investigators said Geter sat him down at the kitchen table with his beloved pet.

"She said that she loved her son and asked if the son loved his gerbil and he said yes. She proceeded to, uh," said Wilcox.

What she is alleged to have done next is hard for even an experienced law enforcement official to say.

Investigators said Geter put the pet in a bag and ordered her son to hit it with a hammer until it died.
Mom Forces Boy to Kill Family Pet | FOX 5 Atlanta | myfoxatlanta.com

She said....

Sounds to me like she admitted to doing this.

BTW:

Investigators said what happened inside a Meriwether County home was a horrific act of violence. But the mother – 38-year-old Lynn Geter -- calls the incident punishment.

"She said she wasn't going to put up with his bad grades," said Meriwether Sheriff Steve WIlcox.

As soon as her 12-year-old son got home from school with those bad grades, investigators said Geter sat him down at the kitchen table with his beloved pet.

"She said that she loved her son and asked if the son loved his gerbil and he said yes. She proceeded to, uh," said Wilcox.

What she is alleged to have done next is hard for even an experienced law enforcement official to say.

Investigators said Geter put the pet in a bag and ordered her son to hit it with a hammer until it died.

She said....

"She said......said Wilcox" The legal word for that is "hearsay" and it's not admissible in a court of law.

I work very closely with child welfare workers, and in my primary office, I share office space with one of 9 workers state wide who do surveys of foster kids to see if they are "graded" accurately. Foster parents are paid according to what "grade" the kids they care for are...for example a 3 in self harm would be a kid who cuts herself or has a recent suicide attempt. A 2 in sexually inappropriate behavior would be an older kid who routinely masturbates in public. A 3 in sexual reactivity is a 14 y.o. kid who climbs into strangers laps and tries to get them to touch them inappropriately, or who says sexual things to them.

I listen all day to him interviewing foster parents who want to get more money, and who insist that a 3 y.o. little girl who will roll onto her back and stick her legs in the air while wearing a dress. HELLO? I fought that fight with my girl until she was 6 years old. Another instance is a family who has had a boy for the last 12 years and who says he is violent now because he occasionally pounds on his 10 y.o. brother. We have families who are batshit crazy, whose own children are in prison, who want to be foster parents. They just busted a family who has fostered kids for the last 20 years for HORRIBLE sexual abuse.

Foster parents are problematic. If she admitted to it, I'd say she probably did it and most likely doesn't even think she did anything wrong.

Last edited:
BTW:

She said....

"She said......said Wilcox" The legal word for that is "hearsay" and it's not admissible in a court of law.
Really? LE cannot testify as to what a suspect has stated during questioning?

No wonder so many criminals get off....

As punishment for bad grades, a Georgia mother forced her 12-year-old son to kill his pet hamster with a hammer, police said.

Lynn-Geter-hamster_377113l.jpg

Cops: Mom forces son to kill hamster for bad grade | ajc.com

Stupid bitch.

BTW:

She said....

I was under the impression that Miranda rights spell it out pretty succinctly..anything you say to a cop can and will be used against you in a court of law...didn't she say this to a cop?

BTW:

She said....

If she was interrogated by LE then they would have a record of it. But no LE cannot say a suspect has confessed and that be evidence enough. That would then be a "she said, he said" type of deal and no DA in their right mind would go to trial with that as evidence IMO. I've only been studying law for ten years so I could be mistaken.

Not only was her action wrong, but now the child will suffer more for (the guilt of what he thinks he caused) his mother being arrested.

If I was the kid, I'd have little guilt about the arrest. Killing a pet, something (and a pet is some ONE to a child, hell, to most people) he took care of and loved, that guilt will stay with him forever.
I had to put my dog to sleep. He was likely to die that day anyway, or suffer pretty badly until he did, but its a little more than a year later and I still feel like shit. That skank made him smash his pet with a hammer. He's going to need serious help.

I was under the impression that Miranda rights spell it out pretty succinctly..anything you say to a cop can and will be used against you in a court of law...didn't she say this to a cop?

You're assuming miranda rights were given and you're assuming she said exactly what the investigators are claiming. I think it would be wise to wait until all the facts are known before a judgement is reached.

For the sake of argument let's assume she did force the boy to kill his pet rat, what should she be charged with and what should be her punishment?

Forum List

Back